((No death or mutilation please!))

The vast majority of villains are, very sadly, poorly played. I'd just avoid this type of roleplay if possible. Phair just dismisses them as Idiots/clowns and moves on to something socially better. If they are persistent then I'll just emote guard npc's swarming them and beating mrlolcultistlookatme down like a red-headed step child. I'm not going to deal with childish cries for attention.

There is only one villain I have met in my now rearing three and a half years on Moon Guard that I'd be willing to give the time of day.

I miss Plaugeheart.
Reply Quote
What are your thoughts?

How many threads are you going to make? Will your thirst for attention ever be sated?

Kelhan is an eldritch beast, who's ever-hungering black maw will lash out in the night, horrific moaning like the buckling of a thousand spines yearning for someone to reply to his threads.

Also, I believe honest discussion about roleplay is beneficial for MG as a whole. That too.
Reply Quote
Also, I have met too many people shocked when someone wants to kill/maim their character.

It's called World of WARcraft. This universe is bloody as hell and I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE.

*throws mop out window in anger* *five pints of unicorn oil to anyone who gets the reference*
Edited by Kelhan on 11/20/2010 6:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Orc Mage
No.

I refuse. If you put your character into a kind of situation that would logically get them killed, don't throw a fit if someone actually does so.

Seriously, I'm tired of people hiding behind this excuse. If I'm dueling an ally or something, I'll alter my RP a bit to not scar you. But if you're kill on sight, expect to run the risk of that actually happening.

What are your thoughts?

You are a Rogue. You see me standing alone on a side street counting the number of gold coins in my coin pouch. Quickly sizing me up, you realize that I could put up quite a fight if you tried to just rob me. Your stomach aches and grumbles its protest for having had to go 3 days without food. No one is looking. No witnesses. Hiding in the shadows, slowly sneaking closer. Lethal poisons gleaming along the wicked edges of your daggers. It'll be easy. A quick slash across the neck followed quickly by a stab between the ribs into the heart. You stop in your tracks as your stomach grumbles again. You will yourself to be quiet. Dinner... is about to be served.

---------------------------------

Um no. You do not have permission to kill me in order to steal my gold so you can eat.

... See, I don't see the logic in this.

I don't see the logic in people asking if now is a good time to attempt an assassination o a character either. But maybe I just prefer the... randomness that can crop up in RP.

Mainly because if the game is supposed to be the real life of our characters... well, muggers, robbers, etc. in our world don't telepathically contact us asking if now is a good time to attempt to kill and rob us.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
No.

I refuse. If you put your character into a kind of situation that would logically get them killed, don't throw a fit if someone actually does so.

Seriously, I'm tired of people hiding behind this excuse. If I'm dueling an ally or something, I'll alter my RP a bit to not scar you. But if you're kill on sight, expect to run the risk of that actually happening.

What are your thoughts?

You are a Rogue. You see me standing alone on a side street counting the number of gold coins in my coin pouch. Quickly sizing me up, you realize that I could put up quite a fight if you tried to just rob me. Your stomach aches and grumbles its protest for having had to go 3 days without food. No one is looking. No witnesses. Hiding in the shadows, slowly sneaking closer. Lethal poisons gleaming along the wicked edges of your daggers. It'll be easy. A quick slash across the neck followed quickly by a stab between the ribs into the heart. You stop in your tracks as your stomach grumbles again. You will yourself to be quiet. Dinner... is about to be served.

Um no. You do not have permission to kill me in order to steal my gold so you can eat.

I don't see the logic in people asking if now is a good time to attempt an assassination o a character either. But maybe I just prefer the... randomness that can crop up in RP.

Mainly because if the game is supposed to be the real life of our characters... well, muggers, robbers, etc. in our world don't telepathically contact us asking if now is a good time to attempt to kill and rob us.

The point people who are speaking against it are making is that if you were writing a book and someone came along and tore it up and wrote on a big piece of paper in it's place "AN HE DED TEH ENDZ" you'd probably be rather upset about it.

This is a game. The characters are not real. They are our creations and as such people need to take into account that they are not dealing with a character in the world (because the world dosen't exist) but with someone else's brain child, and it would be rather bad manners to abort it without their consent.

That's the problem with thinking "Oh, this is the real world to these guys." No. Just no, they have no real world. They're a bunch of pixels who act like we want them to and create the stories we want them to.

You're not dealing with the character in their world, they have no world. Your dealing with another person writing a story. I'm not saying allow someone who's being dumb about picking fights to walk all over you. But as nice as random RP is sometimes it's not worth it.

Tell them they're a douche and move on. You're not important to the community enough that you need to fix everyone or kill them off. None of us are.

Aborting brain children is bad, Mkay?
Edited by Ryiona on 11/20/2010 6:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Orc Mage
No.

What are your thoughts?

The point people who are speaking against it are making is that if you were writing a book and someone came along and tore it up and wrote on a big piece of paper in it's place "AN HE DED TEH ENDZ" you'd probably be rather upset about it.

This is a game. The characters are not real. They are our creations and as such people need to take into account that they are not dealing with a character in the world (because the world dosen't exist) but with someone else's brain child, and it would be rather bad manners to abort it without their consent.

That's the problem with thinking "Oh, this is the real world to these guys." No. Just no, they have no real world. They're a bunch of pixels who act like we want them to and create the stories we want them to.

You're not dealing with the character in their world, they have no world. Your dealing with another person writing a story. I'm not saying allow someone who's being dumb about picking fights to walk all over you. But as nice as random RP is sometimes it's not worth it.

Tell them they're a douche and move on. You're not important to the community enough that you need to fix everyone or kill them off. None of us are.

Aborting brain children is bad, Mkay?

... Actually this is faulty.

Yes, you're writing a story.

Of your character.

And their day to day life in Azeroth.

The problem is you're writing said story with hundreds, thousands of other authors alongside you. So you could go with the idea that 'too many cooks spoil the broth' but... in a way that isn't entirely right either.

I'm not trying to make you conform to my views, I honestly would rather not have my characters killed and would hope there is a chance to turn the tide if such a case were to crop up. But, this is me, I think the idea of saying 'No. Nope. Didn't happen.' Isn't also 100% right... going on no sleep so forgive me if I make little sense.

Basically, your example is skewed. I can understand you having a set path in mind for your character, I know many people who do, I personally do not, which might be why I prefer the randomness.

Anyways, the point I'm trying to get across is that you're writing a story with other writers. You should know full well that this is going to happen, ignoring the input of the other writers, no matter how negatively it could effect your character, is not always the best idea. Neither is always going with what is happening.

But, if you go in with the mindset that you aren't having your character act like a living being, or your surroundings acting like real life for your character. Then you aren't doing justice to your writing... you're essentially writing an essay, not a story.

*Shrug* I've also lived by the idea that if you're strictly planning every last detail, it might be best to just write stories on the forum...
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Fifteen guards will just dogpile you no matter how tough you think you are.

Don't feed him.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Basically, your example is skewed. I can understand you having a set path in mind for your character, I know many people who do, I personally do not, which might be why I prefer the randomness.
Claiming final say on authorship of one's character is not the same as writing out a planned-out, static story that rejects others' input and influence.

It's simply asserting one's personal right to discretionary rejection of another's potential impulse to frivolously destroy your work. I don't feel that you can accurately call such an impulse a force of realism.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
Anyone has a right to RP attack me, or try to harm/kill my character. I counter this simply by maybe fighting back a bit, but probably I just try to escape. If my attacker isn't a godmoder, it isn't ever an issue to get away. If they are, I just ignore them anyway.

Easy!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Also, I have met too many people shocked when someone wants to kill/maim their character.

It's called World of WARcraft. This universe is bloody as hell and I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE.

*throws mop out window in anger* *five pints of unicorn oil to anyone who gets the reference*

True, it may be called World of Warcraft, but since when do Night Elf Death Knights in Stormwind have a right to attack random humans for wearing Cindercloth Leggings or having red armor or calling them "Deaders." They're dead. >8( Civil war is rather derpy, to be perfectly honest.

Also, note, there are those that have the flag about not wanting to be killed/maimed because apparently they somehow attract those derps. Like the situation I posed, which I experienced with other morning on my warrior, not everyone is out looking for fights, but those at -are- should be willing to take the consequences. This is why I don't rp fight. I'll duel you for #@@!s and giggles, but really, WHY would I want drama?
Reply Quote
If you're a member of the military or the guard and you're going around murdering people for insulting your mother, then you should be court martialed and arrested for murder.

In real life, do you pull out a gun and shoot a guy who insulted your mom? No, you take a swing at them. If you absolutely have to fight, do some disarmed fighting.

Then, the only damage is a busted lip and a black eye.

Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Point being is that you can only realistically kill off characters that you create. You can not kill off another player character without their permission. And if you 'do', then that person has every right to deny you and /ignore you.

On my previous server there was a character that I wanted to assassinate. I started the story arc, talked to a respected Rogue of the server, we played out meetings and negotiated terms of how and when and why. THEN, I contacted the player, told them my plans, and asked for permission to TRY to kill off her character. She wasn't willing to have her character die, but was willing to have them severely wounded by the attempt. Since that is what she was willing to allow, that was the stated goal of the assassination... ATTEMPT.

The story turned out very well, considering I wanted said character dead, but had to settle for severely wounded and surviving the attempt.

The point is that although this is World of WARcraft, it is still MY 15 bucks a month and no matter what, you can't kill off my character unless I approve. So that means that if I walk up to you and /spit in your face and sucker punch you, you may want to run me through with your sword, but you can't kill me. Sucks? Yes, but thats why we have /ignore.

Reply Quote
Like the situation I posed, which I experienced with other morning on my warrior, not everyone is out looking for fights, but those at -are- should be willing to take the consequences. This is why I don't rp fight. I'll duel you for #@@!s and giggles, but really, WHY would I want drama?

Yup, I will only fight what my character can actually kill within the mechanics of the game. You can take your animosities and your characters violent tendencies out on the Npc's. Roleplay with yourself fighting them because I'm not going to deal with it.

There's plenty of fun times to be had without that sort of idiocy.
Edited by Phaír on 11/20/2010 8:45 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]