Warlock or DK?

55 Undead Death Knight
Which class looks the best in Cata?

For PVE and PVP. They both look pretty decent to me tbh.

Wondering what people's insights are, know that I like PVP more.

So like 60% PVP weighting, 40% PVE :) Going for glad in s9 and I've got a good group for Rated BGs as well.

Call me FOTM if you want, but I had to work my gdam arse off to do well on my rogue, and I want to reroll something that will be super solid in Cata. Don't care for mages/warriors/ferals.

Best character, Warlock or DK for PVE, Arenas, Rated BGs?
Reply Quote
80 Human Warlock
I would go with the Dk. Warlocks have never been well steady. I have been around for awhile and warlocks are the class of highs and lows. When things are great they are great when things aren't we do as much as hybreds. PvP is harsh too getting geared as a pvp lock not fun times.
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
PvE - Warlock
RBGs - Warlock
Arena - Toss Up

The PVE videos I've seen from Vodka and Paragon show Locks and DKs tied for 1st. Seems like if there's any kind of long fight or a 'cleave'-type fight, then DKs come out ahead.

And why do you say locks are better than DKs in Rated BGs? I would think DG has really good use.

And to the 1st poster, yeah Necrotic Strike looks really good and Dark Sim can be super clutch. But still, PVE-wise they both look pretty equal (except locks get a legendary soon!). I'm real confused on PVP though.
Reply Quote
80 Human Warlock
PvE - Warlock
RBGs - Warlock
Arena - Toss Up

The PVE videos I've seen from Vodka and Paragon show Locks and DKs tied for 1st. Seems like if there's any kind of long fight or a 'cleave'-type fight, then DKs come out ahead.

And why do you say locks are better than DKs in Rated BGs? I would think DG has really good use.

And to the 1st poster, yeah Necrotic Strike looks really good and Dark Sim can be super clutch. But still, PVE-wise they both look pretty equal (except locks get a legendary soon!). I'm real confused on PVP though.

Gearings as a PvP lock is all kinds of suck. Trust me.
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight

That's fine, I don't care how hard the gearing part is, I care about the post-gearing. Are locks or dks better in Arenas/Rated BGs? Both seem pretty equal in PVE, can't really tell about scaling-wise though.
Reply Quote
80 Human Warlock

That's fine, I don't care how hard the gearing part is, I care about the post-gearing. Are locks or dks better in Arenas/Rated BGs? Both seem pretty equal in PVE, can't really tell about scaling-wise though.

Well that I can't tell you I'm afraid things can change quite a bit by the time you gear up. Hindsight is a real *!@#!.
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
Yeah, I'm kind of hoping to hear from locks/dks in beta that have tried PVE/PVP and comment on it.
Reply Quote
80 Human Warlock
Yeah, I'm kind of hoping to hear from locks/dks in beta that have tried PVE/PVP and comment on it.

Go for the one you like the most that way if you didn't pick right you still have a class you enjoy.
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight

Go for the one you like the most that way if you didn't pick right you still have a class you enjoy.

See, that's the thing. The play style for both looks super similar...both are dot classes with a pet. Only thing that seems different is that 1 is melee, other is ranged (I know this is an oversimplification...but you know what I mean). These 2 classes are probably the most related, so that makes the decision even harder.

Of course, this is all 'seems' discussion, i.e. on the surface. Hoping people can share some insight into what's been happening in PVP/PVE for both classes.
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
I say why not both? Leveling will be much less tedious in Cata, and DK's start more than halfway there in any case.

Leveling up a new lock could be a real fun challenge.

I'd like to do both, but with work/univ, I don't have the time.

And to Primigenia, thanks for your post. I don't really care about the Pet aspect, just seems like 'something', not rolling either class because they have pets. From reading up on DKs, yeah Unholy seems like the "go-to" spec for pvp/pve, which is fine with me.

Coming from a rogue, I do like melee more. However, all things considered, it's all about next season, and then long term after that. They both seem pretty solid I guess in arenas and raids, but I guess maybe locks coming out a bit ahead?

DKs can roll with warriors/locks/hunters in 3s (off the top of my head for r1 comps), while locks seem like they can roll with just about every class, no? One of my friends is guaranteed playing a mage, with an alt warrior. So would a DK be the best for doing 3s with him, or a lock?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]