Extra! All Hunter Guild Shuts Down Server

90 Dwarf Hunter
WHU
Yes folks, it is official. An all hunter guild is so awesome we may even match the power of Deathwing in shutting down worlds. During tonight's WHU event, we sorta shut down the Icecrown server for a few minutes....

Sorry about that if you happen to have been on Icecrown at the time.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
Haha, nice.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
That's awesome. Nice job WHU!
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
Awesome! I was wondering if Frostheim was going to make a post about that tonight. I'm sure something will be up on WHU tomorrow.

Keep paying your dues guys.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
It was a grand outing. Elemental attack while in IF, and crashing the world server. That was a raid/party. I raked up 3 achievements, and took a nose dive off TB.

There is nothing like seeing 300 dwarf hunters storming TB.
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Hunter
Like guild leader, like guild, I guess.
Reply Quote
32 Dwarf Hunter
Yes folks, it is official. An all hunter guild is so awesome we may even match the power of Deathwing in shutting down worlds. During tonight's WHU event, we sorta shut down the Icecrown server for a few minutes....

Sorry about that if you happen to have been on Icecrown at the time.

Good for you ! I hope we see more of this !
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Hunter
Explain to me why crashing a server is a "good" thing? People get inconvenienced and can't enjoy their free time b/c your guild feels like it?

Pardon me for not seeing the "good" in this, but whuh?
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Hunter
Explain to me why crashing a server is a "good" thing? People get inconvenienced and can't enjoy their free time b/c your guild feels like it?

Pardon me for not seeing the "good" in this, but whuh?
Their guild leader doesn't have the courtesy to warn four people before he pulls a heroic boss on them, what makes you think his guild has any courtesy towards others either?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
What did you do that caused the server to shut down?
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
I think he is more marveling at what was achieved, not reveling in the pain of others who suffered from the server crash.

He even apologized if you were inconvenienced.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
Their guild leader doesn't have the courtesy to warn four people before he pulls a heroic boss on them, what makes you think his guild has any courtesy towards others either?

Wow, there's a cheap shot if I ever saw one.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter

What's cheap about pointing out something he did and bragged about on his own website?

Frostheim and his sycophants are the reason people think hunters are idiots. That, and the fact that he posts blatant misinformation on two different websites. And copies other people's boss strats to post on his PAID column. And calls people trolls when they point out a mistake and ask to see his math. And... yeah, I don't have time to go over the fail.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Hunter

Dude didn't have the time to complete a heroic with the rest of group, so rather than, you know, leave respectably, decides he's a boss and can therefore solo one. So he pulls Volazj who proceeds to maul the group who's off fighting Amanitar or somesuch. Not exactly a cheap shot if it's blatant truth, dude.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Entitlement can be a very ugly thing, sometimes.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter

What's cheap about pointing out something he did and bragged about on his own website?

Frostheim and his sycophants are the reason people think hunters are idiots. That, and the fact that he posts blatant misinformation on two different websites. And copies other people's boss strats to post on his PAID column. And calls people trolls when they point out a mistake and ask to see his math. And... yeah, I don't have time to go over the fail.

I'd like for you to point out this blatant misinformation and incorrect math. Either elaborate or I'm calling BS. I find Frostheim and his guides on WHU to be incredibly helpful.

As for the server crash, it's not as if Frostheim and the WHU guild went out with the intention of crashing the server. It just happened as a side effect of their event.
Reply Quote
To everyone asking why this shutdown has occurred, I think this might help a little bit:

When you perform any action on wow, two sources of data are exchanged. The first is you uploading the action you performed to the server. The second is the everyone else downloading the information you uploaded from the server.

Uploading takes much longer than downloading, so if you lag more in combat (notably when AoE-ing a lot) this is why. You have to upload *Multi-shot hits Onyxia Whelpling for 1786 damage* for all 103 whelps that you hit.

Now, you have 300 people, all performing several actions. 300 people all jumping at the same time is 90000 actions that the server must process, download, and push out to other people within a very quick time span. If you then have 300 people all jumping, shooting, etc. along with 300 pets, you have on the edge of 500,000 to 1,000,000 actions that the server must process within a very small window of time. It will start to fall behind, and then rather than just cause server wide lag, it actually disconnects you.

Frost did nothing wrong. Clearly there are some people here with hurt feelings but I don't see why. His information, when released, has been as valid as anyone else's. I'm not going to sit here and act like a fan boy, but he's just having fun. If you are too serious to laugh when you see 300 plump dwarves running through TB, I highly suggest going to see someone. This is a game, and while many aspects of it are taken seriously by a lot of players (myself included) sometimes you just have to laugh it off.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
To everyone asking why this shutdown has occurred, I think this might help a little bit...

Thank you for the very well-put explanation, but the why of it is not what has people perturbed.

Frost did nothing wrong. Clearly there are some people here with hurt feelings but I don't see why... If you are too serious to laugh when you see 300 plump dwarves running through TB, I highly suggest going to see someone. This is a game, and while many aspects of it are taken seriously by a lot of players (myself included) sometimes you just have to laugh it off.

You're half right. Accidentally crashing a server isn't wrong. A lowbie dorf-raid on TB is funny.

But the part that you've missed is where Frost (and now his guild, following his example) run astray. Bragging about crashing a server is not a good thing. Crashed servers impair the experience of other users, and glorifying that leads in bad directions. Had it crossed your mind that Frost and/or his guild boasting about bringing down a server might inspire others to try to do the same thing?

This is what I and most of the other "people with hurt feelings" mean. It's not that our feelings are hurt. (They're not.) It's that the emerging trend of bragging about the ways in which you've hurt the experience of other players is bad for the community and the game as a whole. Like any other community, there will always be people willing to speak up when they see destructive tendencies start to appear.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]