Modem is just how important?

85 Night Elf Priest
Hey I am posting this out of flat out curiosity and wanting to learn.

My family has been using the same modem, for I think around 10 years now, maybe less, maybe more, either way, it's old. I was wondering how much it can affect one's internet... My family is supposed to have Xfinity from Comcast which is supposed to give up to around 100MBps downloads, which I don't even come close to speed testers. I am hard wired through a router into the modem, so not wireless. I'm asking because if this affects internet drastically I'd be inclined to opt for a brand new modem.

Thoughts appreciated! Trolls not welcome.
Reply Quote
73 Night Elf Druid
I'm pretty sure they can. I would say get a new modem and test it out :)
Reply Quote
36 Gnome Rogue
An old modem can indeed affect your connection speed. Might be time for an upgrade.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
What I wasn't hoping for. Thanks for the posts! :)

I'll keep watching this in case anyone has any more in-depth info, perhaps about how much a modem can affect your speeds, etc etc.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
I am surprised that Comcast didn't automatically offer you a new modem when you upgraded your service. Yes, a ten year old modem will have an effect on your speed.

Your internet service provider is offering speeds that your out-dated equipment probably is not able to handle. It is usually up to your Internet Service Provider, in this case Comcast, to rent you the proper equipment to handle the speed they offer. I would hate to think you are paying for speeds that are not possible because your company has failed to upgrade your equipment.

You need to call Comcast and tell them that they are providing a modem that is very outdated. Tell them that you are not receiving the speed that you are paying for, and that your equipment needs to be looked at. They should send out a technician with new equipment if you are diligent.

Let me know how it goes. =]
Edited by Maeby on 11/21/2010 3:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
Hey thanks much! Hopefully they'll follow through, I know we recently had gotten a new router to hopefully go wireless (for my other family members) with but their computer isn't getting the wireless so we are still using the slightly older router too. :P Obviously though, Modem comes before router though. >_<
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
eek. Just did a ping test and it said I had a 96% packet loss rate. I think that has to be false, I had a 13 ms ping and only 1 jitter, all at pingtest.net.

At speedtest.net I am getting about 7.5MBps download speed, around 3 MBps upload speed.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
I've learned that Comcast will do as little as possible, but can perform if you push them in the right direction.

I might be able to help you with your router settings. Im not sure what the best way to directly contact another player is, but if you make a level one alt on my server, and send me a message, I'll get back to you.

Good Luck!

Maeby
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
eek. Just did a ping test and it said I had a 96% packet loss rate. I think that has to be false, I had a 13 ms ping and only 1 jitter, all at pingtest.net.

At speedtest.net I am getting about 7.5MBps download speed, around 3 MBps upload speed.

Ooo packet loss... Now you are definitely in my field of interest....

Get in touch. =]
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
<blockquote><blockquote>eek. Just did a ping test and it said I had a 96% packet loss rate. I think that has to be false, I had a 13 ms ping and only 1 jitter, all at pingtest.net.
<br/>
<br/>At speedtest.net I am getting about 7.5MBps download speed, around 3 MBps upload speed.</blockquote>
<br/>
<br/>Ooo packet loss... Now you are definitely in my field of interest....
<br/>
<br/>Get in touch. =]</blockquote>
<br/>
<br/>Takin' the dog out, I'll head over after. ^.^
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
What brand and model of modem do you have ?

If you have a 10-yr old cable modem it's most likely a docsis 2.0 modem in which case the theoretical maximum throughput is only about 30ish Mb/s (although even at those speeds most cable service providers use the docsis 3.0 modems).

Just so you know I used to do tier 2 tech support for Comcast and now do tier 1 again (much more relaxing) for a different cable company so I'm not just throwing this information out my rear.

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
On your server, where art thou? :P Made a toon named Deltrus. :P
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
It's an Arris Model: TM502G. It's copy-written for 2007 (however I swear we've had it longer). I don't know what you want to make of that.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
On your server, where art thou? :P Made a toon named Deltrus. :P

I would check this list from Comcast's website and see if your modem (make and model) is Docsis 3 compliant (they have a row with a checkbox). I know for your wireless problems that Comcast rents a 'gateway' which is a modem / router combination that you can use where they will help you set it up.

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Edit: Do you also have comcast home phone ? Because the arris is for that... I know comcast is known for using the same modem for both so it's quite possible but just want to make sure you are looking at the right modem in case you have two.
Edited by Somallynn on 11/21/2010 4:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
If you have a 10-yr old cable modem it's most likely a docsis 2.0 modem in which case the theoretical maximum throughput is only about 30ish Mb/s (although even at those speeds most cable service providers use the docsis 3.0 modems).

Just so you know I used to do tier 2 tech support for Comcast and now do tier 1 again (much more relaxing) for a different cable company so I'm not just throwing this information out my rear.

Soma, I'm just curious how this even happens. How is it possible that Comcast would offer him such an upgrade in speed, and not notice that his modem is 10 years old.

/target Comcast
/shakefist
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid

Soma, I'm just curious how this even happens. How is it possible that Comcast would offer him such an upgrade in speed, and not notice that his modem is 10 years old.

/target Comcast
/shakefist

Comcast is known for doing silly things plus in their defense they have millions upon millions of customers so there will always be some that are overlooked.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
10 years old? It's DOCSIS 1.0 which only supports speeds up to 10 mpbs. (DOCSIS 2 wasn't released until 2001).

Get a new modem. Ensure it's DOCSIS 3 compliant.
irc://chat.freenode.net/wowtech
http://webchat.freenode.net
Channel Name: #wowtech
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
Well obviously this modem is probably not 10 years old. However it looks like it and it acts like it sometimes.

http://www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/_docs/_specsheet/060510_Touchstone_Telephony_Modem_TM502G.pdf

^is it. Looks ugly doesn't it?

I think our phone might be on a different modem actually, though we do get our phone through comcast. Same with Tv. x_x

I guess I am trying to figure out if there is anything I can do to make my packet loss lower, etc etc.

Oh and yeah, looks like it is only Docsis 2.0. :(
Edited by Deltrus on 11/21/2010 4:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
10 years old? It's DOCSIS 1.0 which only supports speeds up to 10 mpbs. (DOCSIS 2 wasn't released until 2001).

Get a new modem. Ensure it's DOCSIS 3 compliant.

well the modem he said he had is docsis 3.0 but it's a EMTA not a modem but I know comcast does like to use the modem for both at times (why is the question on this one .. it's a horrible idea). That's why I had him check if he had second modem ... easiest way (this is aimed at the OP) is to follow the oversized phone cord (ethernet cable) from the internet, wan or uplink port on your router to the modem.

edit : lol looking at wrong modem number .. your right his is 2.0 so ya upgrade the modem.
Edited by Somallynn on 11/21/2010 4:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
That's a DOCSIS 2 modem. If you do indeed subscribe to Xfinity, you aren't getting the speeds you should be getting. Still need a new modem that's DOCSIS 3 compliant.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]