Why do you tank?

85 Night Elf Death Knight
I started tanking once upon a time for the fast queues, and because my girl always rolls heals and it seems like it makes sense.

I tank now for a lot of reasons, the main being that I really enjoyed it the more I learned about it. This is my third tanking toon, and I enjoy playing as a DK moreso than Warrior or Feral and am scrambling for JP's to gear up as fast as I can.

It is more dynamic than DPS because your job changes based on the composition/patience/level of ADD of your group members.

Even though Wrath is on farm mode now and it's disintegrated into a facerolling lol-fest 99% of the time, the role of tanking still brings the greatest element of strategy with it. You have to experiment to figure out the best way to approach certain pulls/situations until you find the right mix. Not "wait until I see D&D down and then cast (insert name of AOE spell) while flipping through iTunes".

I like having more HP than everyone else in the group. I like plate armor, and not looking like a pansy.

I like helping new players out (as a relatively new player myself) and tanking is a position of responsibility, ergo it lends itself more easily to helping players who are just learning their classes/roles/game.

Plus, chicks dig tanks.

The end.

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I tank because the mobs hold me responsible for Lindentree's actions. As a responsible adult and a leader of my community, the enemies of Azeroth take their complaints to me.

It is in these dire straits that I remove my hood and lift my shield as a banner of justice. Unfortunately, I and soft spoken and they usually ignore me anyway. I bought this soap called "Righteous Fury" from in infomercial to help a bit. I mean, it smells nice and a few of the Vrykuls have complimented me on it, but Lindentree just keeps making our guests angry.

I even threw my golden Frisbee to catch their attention. People seem to like it for a while, but here comes Linden again.

"HEY GUYS. YOUR MOM. ALL OF THEM".

Though, she is quite a hoot at the bar. We usually have fun regardless.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I tank because it's fun as %@@*. Something about being the one member of a group with an assload of HP and taking all the hits appeals to some primal nerve in the back of my head. It's also the only thing I'm really good at. I've tried healing with mediocre results, and I can't build a decent DPS spec to save my life. It's like I'm a tank at heart.
Edited by Sajmodé on 11/23/2010 9:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Faster queue times. >.>
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
For sh1ts and giggles mainly.

I played a Lock for 3 and a half years and it was a crime to pull aggro. I get a perverse sense of joy out of pulling and keeping aggro as a Tank. It's like I'm allowed to play in the sand pit the other kids aren't allowed to play in.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
I personally like tanking because im overprotective of others by nature. Its a lot more tedious than healing and dpsing imo, and yes - I have also healed and dpsed before so please don't bash for that statement xD. I find it fun being able to use warbringer to dart around and protect my squishies.

Its also fun to run through normal cata dungeons and pull multiple bosses at once to give 80s a heart attack. Stonecore ftw.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Death Knight
I like playing defense. I don't consider myself a strong leader, but it's something I am working on.

THe real reason is that tanking gives me a bit of a rush. I am the one taking on the enemies head on, protecting my friends and allies. I feel powerful. I'm decent at it, best of all. I find it the easiest role (yet the one everyone hates to do).

DPS feels boring, I freak out when I try healing, so here I am. Planning on doing 15-85 with a new tank character, should be fun :-)
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
I tank cuz i like being on the front line, right in the fight. Its fun to me and ive always loved it. I also heal sometimes on alts. I pvp heal on this toon which i like, they try and kill me and i try and stay alive... kinda like tankin lol... Dont really dps that much anymore.. its alright but seems so repetitive sometimes so i try not to do it too much
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
I switched my PvE spec to a blood tank for a number of reasons.

I was a DPSer all throughout Wrath and got tired of the numbers game, where a person's only worth was based off how much DPS they pulled. As a tank, all I need to focus on is making myself as indestructible as possible for the most part.

Playing a tank makes me feel special, being a part of the elite few that stands directly in the path of the boss and the rest of the group. It's a great feeling when you're the one being focused on by a big lore figure like Illidan and Arthas.

I also enjoy being able to solo old content as Blood. And of course...

11/23/2010 01:04 PMPosted by Terk
chicks dig tanks.
Edited by Tadkins on 1/31/2012 9:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
55 Worgen Warrior
I tank for the fun of it, but mainly because there seems to be a need for them these days.

Sure, I may be a little low level yet, but still no tanks down here ._.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
aww, dats ok. we all started somewhere.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Hmm tried it out and just loved it
Setting the pace of the instance
the instant quee's
the ability to be able to unleash the meglomanic side of me
being in charge
taking charge
I always ahd a thing wher ei tended to know the instance better then most people but playing as a dps or healer people are like stuff u tank leads most tanks didn't know it as well as me so i made a tank and like yeah who can lead now me.

and i am !@#$ing good at it to which i love start tanking for a new guild they quickly want me tanking raids i love being truely good at something your a tank for a guild people know who you are.

oh and finnally the power i do like my power trips.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
I've always kept a tank set on hand but hardly ever had to use it until this expansion, because I feel if you're a hybrid and you're not playing all aspects of your class, you're not really playing your class.

Primarily me and a DK in my guild served as backup / third tank when our guild was 25-man. Things fell apart and we dropped to 10-man. Then our MT and OT went AWOL in firelands, so I stepped up and offered to tank full time.

I'm not the biggest fan of playing leader, but having a similar level of control that I had as a healer is nice...and having an OT that you have great synergy with makes raid tanking that much more fun.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
DPS is boring as hell and healing is too stressful. I'll quit this game if they ruin tanking.

Plus I love platemail and defensive characters in general. Tanking in WoW specifically also has the advantage that I feel like I'm actually playing the game rather than staring at my bar making numbers go up.
Edited by Ferrousfiber on 2/22/2012 11:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I started playing on this character after my friends all wanted to start playing. I had played the 10 day trial a couple of times but only made a Rogue and a Hunter. I never tried any other class.

My friend had a mage at 85(Started as ICC had just come out) and was asking about what I wanted to do when I hit max level, I said, "What does your guild need?" He laughed, and said tank would be perfect for me. I was in the process of making a Warrior while he explained the different tank types. Beast Boy has always been my favorite super hero(Who wouldn't want to be able to become other animals?!) and he said, "You can be a bear and a cat." I immediately stopped making my Warrior and made this Druid. I have to admit, I hated it at first. "It will get better" he said, and after having gotten a Hunter up to level 30 I decided to revisit this character. I knew more about the game, and he encouraged me to at least get to Bear Form before I stopped playing.

The rest is history. I love Feral and would never change it. This toon was my first max level, and my first raid. This was the first toon I killed the Lich King on, back when ICC was relevant. This toon has been my baby, and I feel like I'm unstoppable when I'm behind Jivekitty. I love this character, and she means so much to me.

Now, back after almost a year because some friends got me to play again I'm probably going to transfer her once they hit 85 so we can all play together. I'm beyond excited to come back and to tank, the first productive thing I've ever done in WoW.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I tank out of necessity. I'd much rather dps.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Fast ques.

Satchel rewards.

Used to think having the gear would be good for soloing old content trololol
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Formerly, because it was something new, that I'd never dealt with before. Now, mostly out of habit.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have always liked playing a defensive class in all my RPG and CRPG. Maybe it is also because I like to study ancient/medieval battles, not having a shield in the face of archers seriously reduce one's life expectancy.

02/22/2012 01:37 PMPosted by Sildas
Formerly, because it was something new, that I'd never dealt with before. Now, mostly out of habit.

/psst, you missed an enchant and a JC epic gem.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
I have always liked playing a defensive class in all my RPG and CRPG. Maybe it is also because I like to study ancient/medieval battles, not having a shield in the face of archers seriously reduce one's life expectancy.

/psst, you missed an enchant and a JC epic gem.

I don't have enough Maelstrom Crystals kicking around for a cloak enchant for an offspec atm.

The JC gem has probably been missing for a while, however. xD
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]