Empowered Shadow, AKA Shadow Weaving v2

85 Draenei Priest
Anyone that has played a shadow priest for some time knows the issues we have had over the years with shadow weaving. It used to be a stacking debuff that applies to targets, then later it was made to be a self buff. In every iteration it seriously slowed our ramp-up time and punished the caster when he/she was unable to refresh the buff, whcih was sometimes inevitable in encounters like Illidan. When the devs came out and stated they wanted to remedy our slow ramp up and were removing shadow weaving entirely I felt a little bit of joy.

With patch 4.0.3a we are being given a damage "buff" called empowered shadows that will give a 10% damage buff (increases with mastery) for 15 seconds when we proc a shadow orb with mind blast. When I think about how this will affect my play style it feels sickeningly similar to shadow weaving. Entering an encounter cold I expect I will be casting SW Pain, MF and MB before casting other DoTs and starting my typical sequence, which is about the same number of casts it took to stack shadow weaving. With RNG the ramp-up will be even longer on occasion. If I'm forced to stop casting for some time due to stuns or other encounter mechanics then I will lose this buff and potentially have to start over entirely. This all sounds too familiar.

Now I do understand that overall this will be a damage buff, but it also brings back one of the most annoying shadow priest mechanics from previous game builds. Without going into detail on how this will affect PvP and short encounters, I feel like this mechanic is going to add monotony and frustration to shadow priests while bringing back the slow ramp up that the devs had claimed they were trying to eliminate.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Agree. Combining empowered shadows with archangel...and hurray two weaving mechanics.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
but our dots constantly adjust for damage increases and decreases now right?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
Yes - dots automaticly scale. (hurrah!)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

They do not auto-scale on beta currently. I don't know if that's a bug or intended, but there you are.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
so basically this all just seems like a passive boost. i'm ok with it.

I'm just happy they're addressing our mastery. I'll leave it to the number crunchers to tell me if it's actually good or not now. But they couldn't just keep scaling our master on mind blast or we'd 50k mind blast in pvp.

I'm glad they're doing something instead of just sweeping us under the rug.
Edited by Reckyo on 11/22/2010 12:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest

They do not auto-scale on beta currently. I don't know if that's a bug or intended, but there you are.

are you sure?
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
if they *dont* autoscale it would be foolish then to put up swp before the first buff stack goes into effect, if they do scale it doesn't matter at all. i am for this change. it makes it so you can't just lololdrop mb from your rotation because let's be honest that makes the spriest rotation pretty boring and not even close to hard. not that adding mb made it really hard.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

are you sure?

Haven't logged on in the last week. But that's what I remember.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
it'd be pretty retarded if we would have to micro manage recasting our dots on archangel / emp shadow procs.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
it'd be pretty retarded if we would have to micro manage recasting our dots on archangel / emp shadow procs.

#@!#, it would be like juggling 12 second mangle and keeping up sr at the same time FUN FUN FUN.

edit: not really.
Edited by Kyiris on 11/22/2010 12:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
dunno if they fixed it, but you can cancelaura shadow orbs to get the buff too. which would be useful if there's a lull in the fight.

that's just a suggestion though. I do completely agree with the OP. I would rather have a passive mastery than having to manage some stupid buff the mastery gives us.
Edited by Adezero on 11/22/2010 12:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
84 Undead Priest
I wanna know how it'll affect PvP. If it's a damage boost on top of what I'm already putting out, then it can't hurt.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
/agree with everything said about how shadow weaving sucked, how it was nice to hear they were doing away with it, and how much more it sucks now that we have to juggle 2 different shadow-weaving-like effects. If dot ticks auto update without needing to be recasted after Archangel or Empowered Shadow uses, thats a step in the right direction. If recasts are necessary, I'll be playing my other characters in Cata until they fix that.

Can we get clarification as to whether or not you have to recast your dots after these procs?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
um i think dots scale automatically now... no wait.. they do!!!! and its a burst mechanics not a over all dmg mechanic. so fi u cast a mind blast at a good time to folloow it up with a flay and full dots u are rewarded. if u cast it at a bad time lik ethe baddie you are u lose the opportunity. its 100% more difrent from shadowweaving

As people have said, DoTs DO NOT scale dynamically. They scale to your current attributes when you REFRESH them. Since, SW: P is the only DoT we can refresh, we will have to recast the other two.

Covering up a poorly designed mastery with another poorly designed mastery that requires juggling two cool down abilities is just poor planning.
Reply Quote
89 Human Priest

#@!#, it would be like juggling 12 second mangle and keeping up sr at the same time FUN FUN FUN.

edit: not really.

yup feral and spriest we love it but dear god can we do something about it please
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]