The Watch - 福利协会 - Welfare Society

100 Human Priest
Hooray for even less snow*!

As we're staring down the barrel of the Summer months, our thoughts turn to the influx of new guests who'll be arriving in two waves - one in about, oh, two weeks, the other the second week of June - and while most of them will be feral self-diagnosed Asperger's cases pounding down shots of their liquified ADD medication with one hand while eating raw, unrefined sugar with the other, there are always one or two who actually showed up to play the game that comes in the pretty box.

They're gonna be pretty lost.

The small number of volunteers who work semi-occasionally on their <Watch> alternates are happy to help these new players figure out why the numbers on their action bar are changing colour, why those pig-men on the hill are so unfriendly, and how to shut off the "general channel", among other things. You know, the essentials.

If this sounds like something you might want to do in-between contributing to the lag in Stormwind's trade district, or digging in the Godforsaken desert for fossil remants in the vain hope of beating up a man for his camel, contact Soulsinger. He can be contacted either via in-game mail, at the corporate e-mail address thewatch.charity.wow@gmail.com, or via the Guild Finder by selecting all roles and "RP" as an interest.

And as always, any toys you want to pass on to the levels 7 and below are appreciated!

Mostly by them.

Fair skies!

- Soulsinger, who's been on an archarology vacation for the past week
and has sand everywhere.

*Offer not valid in the Great Lakes.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
I just realized I also got sand in my spell checking.

Only a few of us, Werea. but every little helps, I feel.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~ryumo/watch/volunteering.html
The Watch. Because black is the new....uh...wait a minute...
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Scathlana writes...
Now a Night Watch similar to that of Terry Pratchett's books would be awesome.

...oh, come on. That would never work.

Wait.

Anyway, hi team gang. Just a reminder that with summer bearing down on us like a cheeto-stained train of suppressed teenage hormonal rage, we will need help catching the odd person new to WoW or the server before someone with "issues" finds them first and drives them to Rift. Which according to a few former watchmen is apparently awesome. And less loincloth-in-your-face-right-away-ish.

I haven't got the heart to tell them about June.

That "help" manifests as volunteers who work on an "if-and-when" basis depending on how much responsibility they've decided to take on - for example, the average PC works a rota that can be charitably described as "semi-occasional." Others of us show up way more often. But either way, if it seems like an idea in your down time, contact Soulsinger. He can be contacted either via in-game mail, at the corporate e-mail address thewatch.charity.wow@gmail.com, or via the Guild Finder by selecting all roles and "RP" as an interest.

And as always, any toys you want to pass on to the levels 7 and below are appreciated! Many thanks to one of our anonymous sponsors who gave us literally dozens of metal pants for little fighters and paladins, and another who made us far, far less broke than normal. Because prices for silk cloth are insane.

Thanks in advance, and have a great week!

--
The Watch.
Because dealing with an entire guild bored between battlegrounds that rolls racist alts on your server builds character. Or something.
Edited by Soulsinger on 5/18/2011 8:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
11/22/2010 12:03 PMPosted by Soulsinger
go play LEGO Universe™

That was a fun game, if short.

I think this idea is fantastic. I fancy myself a pretty anti-elitist when it comes to new players too. Do you have a Horde-side guild out of curiosity?

I also have some Alliance alts but don't play them as much.
Reply Quote
22 Tauren Druid
05/18/2011 09:42 AMPosted by Shalune
go play LEGO Universe™

That was a fun game, if short.

I think this idea is fantastic. I fancy myself a pretty anti-elitist when it comes to new players too. Do you have a Horde-side guild out of curiosity?

I also have some Alliance alts but don't play them as much.

My wife is in love with LEGO Universe and City of Heroes. Unfortunately, the installer is an utter failure on OSX 10.6.x, so she's unable to cut off my little LEGO head for a while. :/

Regarding a Horde ward - yes and no. The framework is in place to transfer assets to the idle Moon Guard Horde Watch, but the attitude of WRA's Horde Community has been, since the server opened, "yeah, no thanks. We've got this."
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
... Curiously, I didn't see this topic before.

Hi. :D I'm the GM of 'The White Sigil', and we're rather heavily involved with community-related affairs. I'll be happy to work up some donations for you guys and get those rolling; Helping each other is a wonderful thing, and I imagine anyone looking for some new-player encouragement will benefit from your hospitality in spades. :D
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
*stretch* Had a lovely vacation, wife's birthday week fun, and so on. And oh, look, it's midsummer! Where does the time go?

Anyway, just a quick note that the Watch exists! Well, some of us do, anyway! And what we do is take our otherwise-unused alternates and drive them around the starting areas making sure that folks who're genuinely new to World of Warcraft, or to Wyrmrest Accord proper, have a fair start. And in some cases, get told which end of the shiny sword to hold.

Details of how this all works can be found by navigating the intarwebtubes to our web site. Don't worry, a little nausea is normal. If you have questions - I mean questions about the Watch - contact Soulsinger. He can be contacted either via in-game mail, at the corporate e-mail address thewatch.charity.wow@gmail.com, or via the Guild Finder by selecting all roles and "RP" as an interest. If you do use the guild finder, try to reply to the mail you get. That indicates oh, you know, consciousness.

Thanks, and happy summering!

--
The Watch.
Because dealing with an entire guild bored between battlegrounds that rolls racist alts on your server builds character. Or something.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
A quick note for those of you who use the guild finder:

If you don't return the mail we send you, you lose the right to whine about being declined.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Good news: There's still a Watch! A little one, but a Watch!

Bad news: I gave away our last two Gnomish Army Knifes last night.

Knifeses. Knifen. Whatever.

So you know, if anyone wanted to donate some of those, well...

Most of us take the summer off because the flood of "summer kids" spikes the signal-to-noise ratio in the starting zones into a whole weird area. But! If you have questions about either joining as a volunteer or unloading something on us to be given to very small people (leather. For some reason we're short on leather armour...) you can still contact Soulsinger.

The lazy bum can be rung up either via in-game mail, at the corporate e-mail address thewatch.charity.wow@gmail.com, or via the Guild Finder by selecting all roles and "RP" as an interest.

Thanks, and (almost) welcome back to school! Muahahahahaha!
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
All year the (few) volunteers of the Watch spend our free time helping out players who are new, lost, confused, hopeless, helpless, or often, all of the above. Here in the season of giving, we like to showcase ways in which you can - with minimal effort mind you! - do the same thing but for real people who are really in need.

If you'd like to make some kid's Christmas brighter, The Watch recommends the following really nice people:

Toys for Tots - http://www.toysfortots.org/donate/
Because, uh, tots need toys too. And who doesn't want to make someone who doesn't have much smile a little more on Christmas?

Child's Play - http://www.childsplaycharity.org/index.php
The Gamer's Charity! Since they were formed, they've sent over seven million dollars in donations of toys, games, books and cash for sick kids in children’s hospitals across North America and the world.

Don't be afraid to do some good for someone else who can't repay you this Christmas, even if it's only a little.

Don't worry. We promise we won't tell anyone. ;)
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Getting back to "work" as normal on Saturday. I miss my happy Christmastime vacation to do an archaeology binge already....
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
Didn't even know you guys were still around. If you guys need a donation of bags, I can get some smuggled over to blueside for you - always did appreciate the work you all put into newbies being welcomed. Just send a mail on a Hordeside alt and list things you guys are low on that a tailor/enchanter can provide, and I'll see what I can scrounge up.
Edited by Greasewald on 1/6/2012 12:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Many thanks! I'll do that sometime this week after my wife is finished having me move boxen around to make the living room have way less of the basement stuff in it.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Happy Somewhat Belated 2012!

An apology, I've been away for family reasons, so have not been out as much as usual. But that reason is recovering nicely now and I have some time to jander into the starting areas and weed out the folks new to WoW - or just new to the server - who might need help getting a fair start.

If you've never heard of the Watch, don't worry about it. It's a little thing. You can find out the details about us on our alleged web site. (Don't worry, a little nausea is normal.)

If you have questions - I mean questions about the Watch - contact Soulsinger. He can be contacted either via in-game mail, or at the corporate e-mail address thewatch.charity.wow@gmail.com.

--
The Watch.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
..Damnit, LEGO Universe is now dead. DEAD. ARGHHHH!

On retrospect, I probably shouldn't have seen the ad only now. But bugger it.
Edited by Voragos on 3/4/2012 9:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
DC Universe Online is a nice break now and again. It lets me get some aggression out that I can't vent on MOPs. :)

Plus the comms interface is so clumsy, it's very hard for mother's little darlings to be a true nuisance once you turn voice communication all the way off.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
I just realized I forgot this part...

If you're actually interested in being a watchman (...woman...thingy...), I can be contacted either via in-game mail, at the corporate e-mail address thewatch.charity.wow@gmail.com, or via the Guild Finder by selecting all roles and "RP" as an interest. If you do use the guild finder, try to reply to the mail you get. That indicates oh, you know, consciousness.

Note: If you use the guild finder and don't write anything as a note, your application is automatically binned.

Other note: If you apply on a Death Knight, your application will be automatically binned.

Son of Note: ...because I said so, that's why.

Actually, it's to avoid looking like we're trying to impress and/or scare the kids. Being a watchman essentially involves (for PCs anyway) showing up when you have free time on an alt you're not using for anything else, and answering questions. Handing out things. Resisting the urge to slap someone's parents. And sometimes there's coffee.

--
The Watch.
What you'd get from the unholy union of the Salvation Army, Wal-Mart greeters, and the Marx brothers.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
"It started out as a perfect day. It would soon enough be an imperfect one, he knew, but just for these few minutes it was possible to pretend that it wouldn't."

If you don't care about your swaggering machismo, and don't feel the burning need for validation from total strangers by wearing everything up to and including glowing enchanted underthings in front of level 1s while essentially screaming "LOOK AT ME!", then by all means consider trotting out an unused alternate and making someone's day as a Watchman.

Woman.

Thing.

Whatever.*

Point is, you can continue to let someone's first impression of your server be someone who isn't even from here shouting racist epithets while running around naked mashing their loincloth into peoples' faces until their raid leader calls them away, or...

...you can make them feel like maybe the whole population isn't subhumans, and they'll do all right once the meet the actual locals, and can support themselves.

--
The Watch.
What you'd get from the unholy union of the Salvation Army, Wal-Mart greeters, and the Marx brothers.

*"Whatever" does not include Death Knights. One, your Watch alt has to be from a valid starting race. Two, if you weren't hugged enough as a child that isn't my problem.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]