The Watch - 福利协会 - Welfare Society

I find this intriguing! I would like to ask a few questions.

#1. Recognizing of course that The Watch is focused on helping new players and so your members most likely deal with said players on the OOC level; is there any IC spin to the organization and what you do? I'm not asking for a deep story-line, I just wanted to know, in your own opinion, if your guild's actions are recognized in the shared story of our server's RP community.

#2. Acknowledging again that your focus is on helping players with mechanical challenges and giving them a positive impression of the players of the server, is informing the new players on RP basics and answers to their questions of RP ever a need or priority?
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Tobbes questions...

#1. Recognizing of course that The Watch is focused on helping new players and so your members most likely deal with said players on the OOC level; is there any IC spin to the organization and what you do? I'm not asking for a deep story-line, I just wanted to know, in your own opinion, if your guild's actions are recognized in the shared story of our server's RP community.

Nobody actually knows we exist. I can only imagine the "shared story of our server's RP community" thinks of me/us as "that weird bloke what walks around with the lantern, innit?"

#2. Acknowledging again that your focus is on helping players with mechanical challenges and giving them a positive impression of the players of the server, is informing the new players on RP basics and answers to their questions of RP ever a need or priority?

The only "mechanical challenges" a guest gets help with are a sort of enhanced self-sufficiency (via donated items passed on and the ability to ask, say, how a wand works) and the ability to ask someone with no agenda whatsoever about the local colour.

Let me draw a line under that. We're a public service - espousing no particular guild, style of play, class, and so on. By way of example: the line of questioning that begins inevitably with "wot gilds r ther?" gets volleyed back with "What is it you like to do?" in order to determine based on a list of local guilds we keep what would be a best fit. I don't immediately try to slot them into Praesidium because that's in my guild's interest, not theirs. Unless they happen to have the same interest.

Nuances beyond the very basics required for polite communication are left to groups they join later, &c. We are not, and cannot be, a vehicle for indoctrination of any particular gaming style.

It's the difference between giving away a free breakfast, and giving away a free breakfast but first you have to listen to our sales presentation for these condos....
Edited by Soulsinger on 3/15/2012 12:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Hi folks!

I haven't been around much lately due to some family medical issues and the associated caregiving that needed to go with those, but now that the situation is improving I'm getting back into a normal patrol rota...

...and oh look, it's Summer!

That means that Mother's Little Darlings(tm) will be flooding the game soon with their adorable headbutting and shouting words they've just learned in macros and their racist throwaway characters. And this will be someone who's new to WoW's first impression of the game, and your server.

Or, if you're inclined (bored) and civic minded (crazy) and you've got an alt you're not using for anything else (SUPER bored) you can get to them first and give them the impression that everyone they meet from there on out isn't going to be an unsupervised 'tween with breathtaking anger issues who's pounding down shots of their liquefied ADD medication with one hand while eating raw, unrefined sugar with the other.

....I said we can try. There's always going to be way more of them than us. We did mention crazy, right?

Volunteering to help the Watch is a very if-and-when thing. And if-and-or-when the mood strikes you, you can inquire about becoming a member in any capacity by applying either through the guild finder, in-game mail to "Soulsinger", or by sending mail to the corporate address at thewatch.charity.wow@gmail.com.

More information about the smallest guild on Earth for the last 6 years running (Go team! ...uh...team?) can be found at the world's worst web page:

http://tinyurl.com/fkp4n

Nice to be back, and everyone have a magical week!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Realy awesome idea BTW. If Crusaders of Skadoosh can be of assistance in any way to you guys in your "quest" if you will... then give me a shout, I love the thought of letting some newer players know that there is, in fact, a friendly adult community playing the game also.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
It's pretty much down to me at the moment - almost everyone else went to play League of Legends or (recently) Diablo 3. Even my wife has stolen my Powerbook and is binging on Diablo 3. Our living room sounds like a meat packing plant....

You can whistle me up directly at any of the above addresses if you or your folks have ideas or want to volunteer to help out directly. And I'll be on in the evenings EDT. She has to sleep sometime...
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
"Ridding the world of evil, here comes....Bear on Patrol."

*stretch* Thank God summer is over and we get the game back from the summer kids! I'm back from my vacation in DCUO. Did I miss anything while I was gone?

Edit: Yikes. Theramore took it in the shorts, huh?
Edited by Soulsinger on 9/20/2012 7:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
*coughs*

*dusts off everything in the Watch house*

Hey.

Long summer. Wacky adventures. Over now.

Which means-! That We're open and operating again as your local and gen-u-wine charitable resource for people who don't have a clue what's going on, or who are peeking in and just need an extra bit to be self-sufficent. And also to get a better impression of our server than of some throwaway level 1 alt with a racist name and his thrusting loincloth dance.

You know. That guy.

Volunteering to help the Watch is a very if-and-when thing. And if-and-or-when the mood strikes you, you can inquire about becoming a member in any capacity by applying either through the guild finder, in-game mail to "Soulsinger", or by sending mail to the corporate address at thewatch.charity.wow@gmail.com.

More information about the smallest guild on Earth for the last 6 years running (Go team! ...uh...team?) can be found at the world's worst web page:

http://tinyurl.com/fkp4n

Nice to be back, and everyone have a magical week!
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Rogue
Good to see something like this back up!
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Happy to be home, honestly. Decided to take the summer off when I realized the flood of bored nuisance alts in the run-up to MoP was going to make it impossible to do anything constructive. Now that all the cross-realm griefers are occupied in Theramore or finding new ways to abuse cross-realm phased zones with impunity, the world is our mollusc of choice!

Also: The targeting in DC Universe Online is painful.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
I'll be brief....

I've given it my best effort, but the cross-realm zone merging of Northshire, Coldridge, Shadowglen, &c. has made it frankly impossible for me to give anybody starting on Wyrmrest Accord a good impression of the server. There's simply too much behavior I can't even describe to work against anymore - and at this point it's pretty much just me; the last two expansions bled off the last of the other volunteers.

Maybe, maybe if we ever regain control of some of those areas I can try again. But really, those areas aren't part of our server anymore and I can't get a word in edgewise between graphic descriptions of sodomy, slave auctions, and God knows what else. It's in their face immediately, and I can't empty the ocean with a teaspoon any more when it's plainly obvious this is "working as intended."

Thank you all for your support over the last four years here.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Even though our specific cross-realm zone situation has torpedoed the Watch's ability to improve new folks' experience and impressions very much, we'd like to showcase ways in which you can - with minimal effort mind you! - do something for real people who are really in need during this season of giving.

If you'd like to make some kid's Christmas brighter, The Watch recommends the following really nice people:

Toys for Tots - http://www.toysfortots.org/donate/
Because, uh, tots need toys too. And who doesn't want to make someone who doesn't have much smile a little more on Christmas?

Child's Play - http://www.childsplaycharity.org/index.php
The Gamer's Charity! Since they were formed, they've sent over seven million dollars in donations of toys, games, books and cash for sick kids in children’s hospitals across North America and the world.

Don't be afraid to do some good for someone else who can't repay you this Christmas, even if it's only a little.

Don't worry. We don't think it counts against your gearscore. ;)
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Another year flies by and-GAH! What happened to my character's face!? Yeesh.

So I had to stick my head in as usual this time of year and point out that... while you're sitting there watching a four-digit number slowly become a three digit number and thinking that you didn't even know there were 3702 people on the bloody server, you could be getting a jump on holiday charity and helping people and whatnot!

Desert Bus for Hope (http://desertbus.org) is going on right now, and they are willing to be your monkeys in exchange for money to give to the Child's Play charity!

Child's Play (http://www.childsplaycharity.org/index.php) provides toys and games to children in about 70 hospitals and domestic abuse shelters worldwide. Items like the video game systems and games will be given to the hospitals and a child will essentially be able to check it out and have it placed in their room. Obviously the more systems and copies of each game they have the better. Other toys though will be given to individual children as presents. Something they can keep and take with them when they leave.

So far this year, Desert Bus has raised $92,257 for Child's Play, and will be forced to play the worst game ever made for another, oh, 96 hours, minimum. At the very least, paying them to play and do your evil bidding will give you something to do while you wait for the queue to go down!

Remember, it's for the children.

Now, if you'll excuse me.....3701...

...3719...OH COME ON!
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
11/15/2014 07:08 PMPosted by Soulsinger
Child's Play (http://www.childsplaycharity.org/index.php) provides toys and games to children in about 70 hospitals and domestic abuse shelters worldwide. Items like the video game systems and games will be given to the hospitals and a child will essentially be able to check it out and have it placed in their room. Obviously the more systems and copies of each game they have the better. Other toys though will be given to individual children as presents. Something they can keep and take with them when they leave.

11/15/2014 07:08 PMPosted by Soulsinger
Child's Play

WHY WOULD YOU NAME A CHARITY AFTER A MOVIE THAT GAVE ME NIGHTMARES WHEN I WAS A CHILD?!
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest

WHY WOULD YOU NAME A CHARITY AFTER A MOVIE THAT GAVE ME NIGHTMARES WHEN I WAS A CHILD?!

You know, we've been supporting this for years and I never made that connection before, but given that the charity was founded by the guys from Penny Arcade, this makes total sense.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warlock
Kudos to you, sir. This thread totally made my day.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]