Prot PVP Vaible in Rated BGs?

85 Human Warrior
I have always wanted to PVP with a character using a Sword and Board. I enjoy Paladin Prot PVP in its current state, and was wondering if at level 85 if it will be viable as well.

I was thinking for Flag Running, Flag Guarding, and even a dummy target for those who don't know how to focus fire correctly would be a Prot Paladins niche. Not to mention the Daze+Silence+Stun+HoF is a nice thing to have in any fight.

What do you think?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Prot can be a very good flag carrier, but most of the time....its a slow moving tank that attracts too much incoming damage even for one to take.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
With the changes to Protector of the Innocent and other Word of Glory changes I don't think it'll be as viable as it is right now as Flag Carrier. But would still be a very capable PvP spec.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
With the changes to Protector of the Innocent and other Word of Glory changes I don't think it'll be as viable as it is right now as Flag Carrier. But would still be a very capable PvP spec.

I am worried about this... Blizzard has a major problem with tanks being able to PVP for some reason. I just hope at 85 they can still survive decently and throw out some great burst.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Troublesome little troll. Almost everyone of your posts is ignorant and not helpful. Leave the forums please.
Edited by Alexande4043 on 11/20/2010 9:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
How is that a troll post? He's right, no one knows how 85 is going to play out. If you want to play prot in BGs then go for it. BGs aren't like arenas, most anything is viable.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
currently vengeance works in PvP.
Not because the devs think it should, but rather because they have no idea how supporting tanks in PvP will work out.

They're prepared to nerf if needed.

Serious and supported PvP in paladin prot spec is experimental, and will be until oh say February.

No one knows.
But if you have the passion for it, go for it full force.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Maybe its just me but I have better luck healing myself flag carrying then healing a tank. Idk why. Same across all my healers. 90% of tanks just tunnel vision across the field and dont pay attention when their healers are snared/stunned/casting divine light. Yeah it can be a great flag carrier as prot just make sure you dont tunnel vision like that like 90% of BG tanks do then QQ "where was my heals/?!?!!!"

I've never been very impressed with tanks in PVP. Sure they drastically reduce melee dmg taken but you can still get owned by a caster. My mage just laughs at feral bears/prot pallies, not even just the current mage where they do tons of damage, its always been that way. Even when mages were "meh" I'd kite and flawless prot pallies. I have a lock too same deal.

If you wear full PVE tanking gear you have no resilience but lots of HP and low damage. If you wear S9 PVP gear you have the resil and decent hp but really all you have over every other PVPer is a shield (for vs. melee) and talents/glyphs. Tanks are far from indestructible like some of them think.

Also I'd rather heal a ret in full wrathful with the flag, at least he has a better chance of KILLING people which is equally important for flag carrying, when its a 2v4 in your base healing a tank who cant kill anyone is futile, at least the ret can get some KBs and take it to a 2v2.
Edited by Mâson on 11/20/2010 9:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
with bigger health pools, stunned healers will not be such a big deal.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
No one knows what Rated BGs will be like. No, not even people who continuously run premades. No, not even the people who continuously run premades that always fight other premades.

No one knows (for sure) what level 85 PvP is going to play out like, not even the people in Beta. No, not even that one guy who's been your server's Arena Master Gladiator Rank 1 season epic pvper.

NO ONE KNOWS. If you enjoy the current PLAYSTYLE (as in, mechanics and gameplay) of a certain class/spec, play that. It is, well, logical to play the FotM spec, but that's pretty low.

Pretty much says it all.

While it's interesting to track how specs look on Beta, the bottom line is things will look very different when Cata goes live.

Maybe its just me but I have better luck healing myself flag carrying then healing a tank. Idk why. Same across all my healers. 90% of tanks just tunnel vision across the field and dont pay attention when their healers are snared/stunned/casting divine light. Yeah it can be a great flag carrier as prot just make sure you dont tunnel vision like that like 90% of BG tanks do then QQ "where was my heals/?!?!!!"

That underlined sentence has nothing to do with the FC's class. People playing that way are simply clueless.

Assuming competence on the part of the healer and a tank:
- if the tank is the FC, some of the attackers will attack the tank, making it easier for the healer to stay alive
- if the healer is the FC, everyone is going to attack the healer

You seem to have a personal bias against tanks - your comments are neither objective nor logical.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Prot in 85 rated BG is going to be CC/sheep/fear most of the time...Due to the fact it have great survivability and one of the most powerful silence in game: Avenger shield (no focus shield glyph) chain silence. Most good player would just CC prot pally and kill the weaker ones, it would be waste of time trying to kill a prot pally first and can't allow him to keep on silencing the caster. So Expect to get CC most of the time in rate BG. GL
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]