New and need help

71 Blood Elf Warlock
So I have several questions. What is a minion and how do i get one?When i loot dead bodies, how do i know what im supposed to keep?Can my pet get a weapon?I have an imp currently. And can i upgrade my pet?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Rogue
When i loot dead bodies, how do i know what im supposed to keep?

Generally items that are of white quality or better have some significance as far as trade value, Grey items are just vendor trash and can be sold at a vendor.
Can my pet get a weapon?

No, as a warlock your pet will get new abilities based on your level and talent specialization.
And can i upgrade my pet?

At level 10 you have the option of going demonology which will unlock the felguard. Warlocks unlock new pets with leveling otherwise.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Minions are your demons that you summon to aid you in combat, you start with the imp but that will change depending on which talent tree you spec into.

at level 10 you get the voidwalker (aka blueberry)from your trainer. He;s good for tanking and holding aggro, which means he basically pisses the mob off and keeps it from directly attacking you while you kill it. If you are demonology specced you get the Felguard at level 10, he's pretty much a warrior and deals out a lot of damage.

at level 20 you get the succubus, demon chick with a whip. shes good for dealing damage and crowd control in pvp. this is the current preferred pet for Affliction warlocks.

at level 30 you get the felhunter (felpuppy), he's good at dealing damage and silencing casters. This was the preferred affliction pet before patch 4.0.1 but now the succubus deals more damage.

As far as looting, with a new toon and just starting out, loot everything you can carry and vendor anything you dont really need, if you find gear and it isnt an upgrade for you , sell it. you'll need all the money you can get as you level. the first thing you want to invest in aside from training are bags...netherweave bags are probably the best size to price ratio. If you're in a guild you can probably find a tailor to make you some, otherwise you can buy them from the auction house for around 10g each depending on your servers economy.

Warlocks are not an easy class to master so it's going to take awhile to really learn it well.
but when looking for gear as you are leveling you'll want cloth with +stamina, +spell power and +intellect, there are other stats you'll need at higher levels but for now concentrate on those.

i suggest you read through this warlock guide http://www.tentonhammer.com/wow/guides/classes/warlock
Reply Quote
When i loot dead bodies, how do i know what im supposed to keep?

Thought I'd expand on this -- check the colour of the item's name.

Grey means it's trash and will rarely be needed. An exception is if you just like the look of the item and want to wear it now and then, like some of the brimmed hats that start dropping around 60+.

White means it'll actually be useful. For gear, it'll have more armour than grey items, but in general the armour rating isn't very important for ranged classes, so you can equip it if you want, or sell it to a vendor. Other materials (mats) will be used for professions, like cloth or meat, and those can also be sold in the Auction House (AH). First Aid and Cooking are two important skills to work on as you level, and much of what you find will be used for them. You'll also use cloth for your Tailoring, and sometimes other mats for certain recipes, like leather.

Green is an uncommon drop, blue is a rare drop, and purple is epic and extremely rare. Most of the time those will be gear that include stats, such as +5 Int. That's the stuff you really want to pay attention to, because if the item will upgrade your stats, you'll want to wear it (mouse over the item and hold Shift to see a comparison between the item and what you're already wearing, and if you hold Ctrl and right-click, you can see what it'll look like). Better stats is a lot more valuable than a better armour rating. And if you can't use the item, you can either sell it in the AH to someone who can, or disenchant it for the mats to use with your Enchanting. As you level up Tailoring, you'll be making a ton of items that you'll disenchant. And over time you'll learn which stats are desired, and which aren't.

...netherweave bags are probably the best size to price ratio. If you're in a guild you can probably find a tailor to make you some, otherwise you can buy them from the auction house for around 10g each depending on your servers economy.

Also, 10-slot bags can be purchased from a vendor for about 2 gold, while 12-slots cost almost 10g. When you check the AH, pay close attention to the number of slots available, because anything with more than 12 slots that's cheaper than 10g will be a bargain. I've often seen 14-slot Journeyman Backpacks going for 5g and less.

One caveat to taking Tailoring and Enchanting now is that you won't have much to sell in the AH. Extra cloth will almost always sell, and it's not difficult to end up with extra enchanting mats so those can be sold too, but you'll have to start watching the prices in the AH for a few days to get an idea about when to sell, so you can get a much better price. Raw materials sell a lot better than crafted items for most of the game, so sell as much as you can.
Edited by Jakjak on 11/20/2010 11:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Human Warlock
Grey means it's trash and will rarely be needed. An exception is if you just like the look of the item and want to wear it now and then, like some of the brimmed hats that start dropping around 60+.

It's worth noting that grabbing everything off corpses is a very good idea and will make you more money in the long run.
Reply Quote
71 Orc Hunter
Actually, the low level Light Feathers are used for a LW recipe to make some level 20 blue gloves. A stack of 10 can often be sold in the AH for ten's of silver to a couple of gold although they vendor for 12c each.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]