Frost or Unholy?

85 Human Death Knight
What is the best talent tree for dps? Frost or Unholy?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
I have better luck with frost. I have seen equally geared DKs rip it up in Unholy though.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Death Knight
It's all up to what you like best. Ive tried both and i personally like unholy better. I tend to pull more dps as unholy.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
/facepalm at "This spec makes me feel better responses..."

Unholy is superior. End of story.
Reply Quote
80 Undead Death Knight
lol@thisguy ^
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
What I've gathered so far is that with a good rotation and a decent dk you can pull almost equal numbers. I personally think that unholy has a better aoe run. I think unholy eeks ahead of frost but I may be wrong. I am still getting used to unholy as I was blood dps for quite sometime.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
Also I was wondering, as I havent had a chance to read the EJ forums, whether or not Frost 2hander was greater than dual wield in so far as total dps or even ramp up time. Not sure how else to phrase it.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
i'd say that unholy is better just for the aggro problem, as unholy u dont even care about aggro, but as frost you realy need to pay atention or that boss is gonna hit you...

so, i use frost for pvp/heroics and unholy for raiding
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
In unholy presence for the rune regen? That's what I've been doing but my dmg meter has been broken. My omen does confirm that threat isn't a problem so far. But the gear on this guy still isn't top end so I'm not sure how it's been scaling.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
In unholy presence for the rune regen? That's what I've been doing but my dmg meter has been broken. My omen does confirm that threat isn't a problem so far. But the gear on this guy still isn't top end so I'm not sure how it's been scaling.

Unholy -> Unholy presence
2H Frost -> Unholy on single targets / Frost on trash
2W Frost -> Frost presence
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Currently Unholy is putting out the best numbers, over longer fights they will even out though.

Sorry, but why do you answer the question if you don't know the answer. Unholy's aoe is decent, but Frost's is basically the best aoe in the game currently.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
/facepalm at the "Unholy is superior. End of story." response.

Play whichever spec you have more fun with. They're really balanced atm and anybody who says 1 spec is vastly superior to the other either knows nothing about that spec or hasn't met a player who plays that spec well. Maybe at 85 there will be a clear best spec, but for the 2 weeks that we're still 80 just have fun.

Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight

Play whichever spec you have more fun with. They're really balanced atm and anybody who says 1 spec is vastly superior to the other either knows nothing about that spec or hasn't met a player who plays that spec well. Maybe at 85 there will be a clear best spec, but for the 2 weeks that we're still 80 just have fun.

On stand-and-deliver, short fight length Unholy dominates. Sure, on H LK Frost has a huge advantage with using HB on Ghouls and spirits.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Icecrown_Citadel/Deathbringer_Saurfang/25H/Unholy_Death_Knight/
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Icecrown_Citadel/Deathbringer_Saurfang/25H/Unholy_Death_Knight/

Fair enough. I'd still say play whatever you like more until the xpac and then worry about what's best at 85
Edited by Vurge on 11/20/2010 11:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
Currently Unholy is putting out the best numbers, over longer fights they will even out though.

Sorry, but why do you answer the question if you don't know the answer. Unholy's aoe is decent, but Frost's is basically the best aoe in the game currently.

Not sure why I did that. Unintentional I suppose. Just giving more of what I've seen, not necessarily what I know to be true. Im glad you clarified the matter for me though. Been out of the loop on what's what lately.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Unholy had higher numbers pre 4.0. Frost currently does higher (but not by much on long fights) but at the same time Unholy still requires a lot of tweaking on Blizz's part. I'd go as far to say that Unholy is semi broken at current.

Frost is burst damage where Unholy is consistent. Unholy brings a little more utility to raids.

I expect a buff to Unholy after Cat is out.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Oki, i think i am going to work with unholy for now.
Thanks everyone.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Unholy had higher numbers pre 4.0. Frost currently does higher (but not by much on long fights) but at the same time Unholy still requires a lot of tweaking on Blizz's part. I'd go as far to say that Unholy is semi broken at current.

Frost is burst damage where Unholy is consistent. Unholy brings a little more utility to raids.

I expect a buff to Unholy after Cat is out.

Not from a pve standpoint, really the reason Unholy is pulling such high numbers is because of the burst it is able to create. Over short fight lengths, with all c/d and bloodlust pop'd, unholy is really able to dish out the high numbers. Once the c/d are over, their dps steadily begins to level off, but ICC fights have been ending way before they get to this point.

Frost on the other hand is the definition of steady, 1 min c/d, pretty consistent dps for the fight length. We say DW Frost has a lot of burst from a pvp standpoint, because their rune strikes hit significantly harder.
Edited by Griefpb on 11/20/2010 12:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
TFO
Currently at level 80 Unholy is the highest dps spec.

At level 85 in full raid gear Unholy and Dual wield frost are equal and the choice will largely be based around what buffs you would rather bring to your raid group. (2h frost though viable is still falling slightly behind dual wield in all cases)

At level 85 in HEROIC raid gear dual wield frost will likely pull ahead of unholy and continue to pull further ahead as gear progresses until they change unholy mastery. (Basically frost gets a good benefit from mastery and unholy gets a not so good one so frost ends up scaling far better with gear)
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight

You're an idiot.

vs.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Icecrown_Citadel/Deathbringer_Saurfang/25H/Frost_Death_Knight/
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]