Rogue Leveling FAQ (6.x)

(Sticky)

85 Human Rogue
Enchant weapon 15 agility will make it glow green. I forgot all the enchants and which colors they glow.
Yes NPC have armor, but usually not the rogues concern, someone else should be using a skill to drop that.
I have DoTimer and Tidyplates, both of which show the sap timer
Dotimer makes a lil bar show up with the duration that is movable,
tidy plates makes nicer name plates show up, and itll have the icon float over their hp.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Afterlife is also another very useful multi-class cc timer, that shows your party members' cc as well as your own.

I have to second tidy plates, with the threat plates mod, it makes managing agro very simple and visible.

Alway download addons from reputable websites. Personally, I use the curse.com downloader to manage my addons to help insure I don't go to the wrong website by accident.
Reply Quote
66 Gnome Rogue
Im a bit confused on rotations, particularly for sub.

Is backstab my filler or hemo? Someone told me to use hemo as my filler, but i read a sub guide and it said to only use hemo to get the debuff up and then backstab if behind and SS if in front and now im completely confused on what filler to use.

Similarly should i use Recup rotationally once i have energetic recovery? I know SnD>all but im lost on the rest. Is it 5pSnD>5pRupture>5point Recup>pray for 5 more points and evis? Do i just use hemo for the debuff and use backstab/SS otherwise or do i hemo spam?

What do you suggest i do?
Edited by Larceny on 6/3/2011 10:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Sinister strike can pretty much be removed from your bar completely when you get Hemo. Backstab is your primary attack, use hemo if you can't get behind and to keep up the debuff if you/someone is using bleeds. Recup is your energy buff, you keep it up along with SnD when in rotation.

Sub has the most difficult rotation, and it is highly unstable. Try to keep Rupture up, but mainly try not to waste energy or combo points as a priority.

Most of this is not a core issue to you until you get to level cap though.

While leveling, its mostly ambush>eviscerate>next target. Don't forget about gouge to regain energy and reposition.
Edited by Aeriwen on 6/4/2011 9:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
66 Gnome Rogue
Thank you!!!
Reply Quote
74 Night Elf Rogue
Great guide! I have a question regarding backstab v mutilate.

While solo questing, it's pretty much Ambush>Mutilate>Eviscerate>dead, but in dungeons when I can be behind the target most of the time, should I be using backstab as my main attack or mutilate?

I currently use mut because of the extra combo point generation, and it costs less energy, but I have read conflicting information on which to use. The talent puncturing wounds confuses me further.

Thank you!
Edited by Pulselacie on 6/6/2011 12:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
As an assassination rogue, you use mutilate at all times, unless you have the murderous intent talent, in which case you use backstab below 35% target health.
Reply Quote

- Subtlety - Slow Dagger manhand, anything offhand.

Actually, at lower levels (before backstabbing is preferable), you'll be using hemo with wound poison, making slower weapons preferable. After lvl 81, you need a slow dagger mainhand.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Nicely,written.Thank you.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
I got it when you said that this was all based on 1-80..after that its dif ball game. I have not been playing with a macro..I dont know how to set one up. So they realy are that inportant?..Cuz I was wondering why my DPS is so much lower than it should be I have had some great gear..but stil not geting the numbers i should be..where do I go to learn how to do one?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
thank you this will help my rogue out alot.
Reply Quote
36 Blood Elf Rogue
Whats about facing higher level enemys? I always found that annoying...
Reply Quote
75 Worgen Druid
Trying to find what rotation I should use. I am level 10 right now and just got mutilate. Can anyone tell me what attack rotation I should use? I am Assassination spec.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Remember back you your low level druid days. What rotation did you use?

Yeah, none. Spam Mutilate, finish with eviscerate/envenom if you can. Use Slice and Dice, and Recuperate. Enjoy the ding. Later things get more interesting, but much of it is intuitive. For what is not, come back here.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
06/21/2011 06:03 PMPosted by Freerunner
Whats about facing higher level enemys? I always found that annoying...

At your level, high level enemies are problematic. In fact, at every level, higher level enemies are difficult, for rogues.

We prey on the weak or ill-prepared.

Evasion, well timed potions, and later a blind, bandage, Gouge, Kidney Shot and much later combat readiness helps, but we aren't meant to face out opponents on equal footing. Suprise and exploitation are our strong suits. It is not for everyone, skill-wise or stylistically.

Assuming that you are a new player, you will learn more about the game, faster and more comprehensively playing a rogue than any other class.

Well, at least, that is in my experience. The only other parts you really don't learn are healer mechanics (which really are quite variable) and tanking tactics (which you really need to roll a tank to learn) for pve. But in PvP, there is nothing like the crucible that is rogue pvp for learning other classes because we have at least a limited counter to nearly every class in the game, we can optimize our tactics to suit the situation.

The optimal solution is nearly never, "just beat the crap out of it".
Edited by Aeriwen on 6/23/2011 11:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
89 Undead Mage
thank you for all this info
Reply Quote
75 Worgen Druid
Remember back you your low level druid days. What rotation did you use?

Yeah, none. Spam Mutilate, finish with eviscerate/envenom if you can. Use Slice and Dice, and Recuperate. Enjoy the ding. Later things get more interesting, but much of it is intuitive. For what is not, come back here.

thank you!
Edited by Mathoris on 6/26/2011 7:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
7 Undead Rogue
This is awesome, I just started playing again after being away for 2-3 years and this answers just about every question I had! Thanks a ton =)
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Thank you everyone for your replies.

I try to keep up with this thread as much as I can but I've gotten sucked into lua coding and I have some ideas about making a "guided tour" for new rogues via an addon. At this stage it is very much pie in the sky but I am very excited.

As always, keep your questions coming. I'll answer them as best and as timely as I can.

edit: In fact, this addon has been inspitred by the "toasts" and additions that were added for leveling characters. I hoping to expand upon the idea to teach class mechanics without giving away the discovery aspect.

First things first though. I learned how to make a button and close a window. :P
Edited by Aeriwen on 7/2/2011 2:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]