Rogue Leveling FAQ (6.x)

(Sticky)

90 Undead Rogue
Thanks for this. I took a lot of time off during Wrath and only came back to WoW last weekend. This thread was a nice refresher.
Reply Quote
15 Night Elf Rogue
Just wondering what gear/armor I should look for? I mean as a druid I looked for "of the monkey" or "of the bandit" type gear. Should I look for the same thing as a rogue? Or is Agi the main stat? Then Stam?

Thanks
Reply Quote
96 Human Rogue
i think agility is.....
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
so i just started lvling a rogue and i dont get what you mean by Slow wep , fast wep.? and witch poison goes on witch wepon
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Shaman
08/01/2011 06:47 AMPosted by Catapally
so i just started lvling a rogue and i dont get what you mean by Slow wep , fast wep.? and witch poison goes on witch wepon

Fast meaning <2.0 weapon speed, slow meaning >2.0 weapon speed.

If you're referring to BoA's - the Venerable Mass of McGowan in the MH and the fast dagger, the Balanced Heartseeker, in the OH.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Would u recommend daggers for leveling if I only want to level a rogue?
Reply Quote
71 Blood Elf Rogue
I just wanted to say thanks for the recap. I've not played a Rogue for a few years and found this guide as a great refresher.

For those critiquing, don't forget it's a template for leveling and by no means an end-all-be-all guide (everyone has a their own particular game playing style).

Thanks again.
Reply Quote
62 Worgen Rogue
Helpful FAQ. Thanks!
Reply Quote
26 Worgen Rogue
I just finished leveling a Rogue yesterday. I found Assassination a more efficient mob grinding spec then Combat at all levels. From 30 to 79, however, Subtlety was hands down better for quicker quest mob grinding and higher dungeon damage then either of the other two specs. The burst of Premeditation->Shadowstep->Ambush-> Eviscerate is a lot of front loaded damage. Not only was I able to 1 or 2 shot any mob, but the Shadowstep mobility makes getting from quest mob to quest mob faster.

Once mobs reached Cataclysm health pools, Assassination took over as my best spec, as once the burst damage was done in Subtlety, the sustained damage was quite a bit lower. I can typically keep Slice & Dice and Recuperate both rolling at 5 stack duration with 100% up time with Deadly Momentum, so I could focus spending energy on big hitters: Ambush, Mutilate, and Envenom.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
I just finished leveling a Rogue yesterday. I found Assassination a more efficient mob grinding spec then Combat at all levels. From 30 to 79, however, Subtlety was hands down better for quicker quest mob grinding and higher dungeon damage then either of the other two specs. The burst of Premeditation->Shadowstep->Ambush-> Eviscerate is a lot of front loaded damage. Not only was I able to 1 or 2 shot any mob, but the Shadowstep mobility makes getting from quest mob to quest mob faster.

Once mobs reached Cataclysm health pools, Assassination took over as my best spec, as once the burst damage was done in Subtlety, the sustained damage was quite a bit lower. I can typically keep Slice & Dice and Recuperate both rolling at 5 stack duration with 100% up time with Deadly Momentum, so I could focus spending energy on big hitters: Ambush, Mutilate, and Envenom.

Don't forget to throw up a rupture for energy regen. Even if the mob dies before its done, you get all the energy back so its great way to do target swaps a full energy. Also putting multiple ruptures up on different targets makes for some insane energy regen.
Reply Quote
77 Orc Rogue
Thanks for this, I took some good info from it.
Reply Quote
82 Orc Rogue
sweet thanks!

[rouge for life]
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Great post, helped me a lot when i started with my rogue.

Would just like to point out that if you plan to speed level (purely through dungeons) Combat is definitely the way to go. With (glyphed) Blade Flurry you'll steamroll through trash which makes up about 90-95% of dungeons.

Topping dps meters on both trash and boss is an added bonus.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Mage
Nice read! GRATZ

I am thinking of rolling a Rogue and stop this frosty mage for a while! This is the only toon I have played for the past 5 years.

I would like to know what would be the opinion of a Worgen Rogue. Leveling Combat with the mining and engineering professions?
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Nice read! GRATZ

I am thinking of rolling a Rogue and stop this frosty mage for a while! This is the only toon I have played for the past 5 years.

I would like to know what would be the opinion of a Worgen Rogue. Leveling Combat with the mining and engineering professions?

Sounds like fun. :)
Reply Quote
52 Worgen Rogue
Ok let me get this straight, I should not be using cheap shot to open up I should be using Ambush instead and if so why? I believe I have the right glyphs but can someone explain why the build that was put up for sub specs is the best and I have been using rupture as a finisher should i be using eviserate instead? I want to be the best out there in pvp situations. What are some other good things I should know to be the best. I want the horde to know my name so that they can be screaming it when they see im in bgs with them. haha
Reply Quote
52 Worgen Rogue
Also since im about to be going against Dks whats the best plan of attack for a rogue if forced to fight them to ensure the best possible way to win out against them? I know im a noob but im trying to learn what I can.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
PvP is really outside the scope of this thread. In PvP, there are no real rotations. You have to use all the tools available to you at the proper time. That comes from practice, and will mean that you will die A LOT. You don't get good at PvP from reading a thread; the price of skill is paid in blood.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Just Saying Macros are a choice of its user , I myself never use em , i think it says something about learning your Character!
Reply Quote
First, thanks for all the work you did on this. It's helped me get back into playing, but there are still some things I don't understand. For some reason rogues seem to be a very confusing class for me.

12/22/2010 02:29 PMPosted by Aeriwen
If he is combat, he should be using a slow mainhand weapon. Sinister strike hits harder that way. Combat with daggers is a no-no, unfortunately.

Not even in the off hand? Why are daggers a no-no for combat? Is there more to it than them normally being fast?

12/22/2010 02:29 PMPosted by Aeriwen
Glyphs are that big of a deal until you start min/maxing at level cap. When he get to 85, he should look up elitistjerks forum and read the rogue guides there.

Did you mean "are not"?

11/20/2010 12:29 PMPosted by Aeriwen
A typical fight usually involves spamming a combo point builder until it dies. Use the leftover points to buff up SnD or Recuperate and move on.

Wait! What? How do you use leftover points to buff up SnD? Once something dies, it can't be a target anymore, and the description for S&D says that the points have to be on a nearby target, so that means that you loose any that you didn't manage consume before your target died, right? I noticed (only recently) that I have Recuperate (is that new?) which somehow uses the lost points, but isn't that all you can do with them?

Another thing is that it says "...on any nearby target" as if I can have multiple targets and more than one of them might have combo points on them. As far as I know, I can only target one thing at a time, so how can I have multiple targets? Even when I use multishot as a hunter, I only have one actual target. Aren't rogues the same way? And I thought that if I switched targets, the combo points were gone (or maybe it is when I start generating combo points on the new target), but in any case they are on only one enemy at a time, right?

How do we even know what generates combo points? I've been practicing with a target dummy trying to figure out how these things work and what's happening doesn't match the descriptions. Just using Ambush as an example, it's description makes it sound like it's only for trying to one-shot things ("...using Ambush will make quick work of most foes") and it says nothing at all about building combo points. Yet, for some reason, it seems to generate combo points on target dummies at least. (If something else is generating the combo points, I can't figure out what is doing it.) But there is no point in generating combo points unless you are going to try to follow up with a finisher, and in that case it's not true that Ambush made short work of anything, so that would mean the description is wrong. (Testing wasn't helped by the fact that I didn't know at first that it's possible to somehow miss a stationary target dummy!) OTOH, the description for Ambush over at wowhead (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=8676) is completely different:
Ambush the target, causing 190% weapon damage plus (367 * 190 / 100) to the target ((190 * 1.447)% plus (367 * 190 / 100 * 1.447) if a dagger is equipped). Must be stealthed and behind the target. Awards 2 combo point.
OK, that sounds much closer to what is happening with the target dummy, so is that correct, instead? In that case, I would be better off equipping a dagger, at least at that moment, right?

Do you know what keeps turning on auto attack and how to prevent that? I'm trying to simply things as much as possible to see what things do, but all the sudden I'm autoattacking, and some things don't trigger it, but most seem to. I thought I vaguely remember a setting in the combat options or somewhere but I can't find it. (It's not autoattack on assist.) My other toons don't do that, so I don't think it's a general setting.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]