Rogue Leveling FAQ (5.x)

(Sticky)

85 Blood Elf Hunter
Awesome, thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
Dark Flight does not share a cool down with Sprint!!!

I started a post on the general forums about this and thankfully got a response from a beta tester who hopped onto a Worgen Rogue and tested it, providing a screen shot of Dark Flight and Sprint.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1083359451?page=1

The screen shot provided here:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/BlazeInferno/WoWScrnShot_112110_024825.jpg
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I'll make the correction. I got my original information from the cata thread on Elitists Jerks. But that was months and months ago. Back before the speed nerf.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
A good read. Quick question: Which stats are more favorable than others? Like AP, Strength, Agility, Crit? I'm assuming strength is on the bottom end of things...
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Rogue
I don't get why you're saying double wound poisons for combat/subt.... why not Ip/Ip or Ip/Wound?
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I don't get why you're saying double wound poisons for combat/subt.... why not Ip/Ip or Ip/Wound?

Wound has a higher chance to be applied (proc rate) which offsets its lower damage. Assassination has talents which improve the proc rate of poisons as well. The difference is minor, and in all likeliness, not even noticeable. Wound might even be better for assassination while leveling as well, but it won't likely be noticeable until you get past 80.
Edited by Aeriwen on 11/23/2010 12:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Added some notes on stat priority.

Agi > expertise (cap) > hit (cap) > haste > mastery > crit >> Str
Edited by Aeriwen on 11/23/2010 12:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Added some noted about heirlooms.
Reply Quote
48 Undead Rogue
bump
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
However, daggers will only be really useful for leveling a rogue.

False! The daggers are great for leveling a hunter, too. :) Hunters cannot use maces, and the two hand axe/sword has strength. The one handed sword isn't worthwhile because it is a proc.
Edited by Amielle on 11/24/2010 3:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Druid
However, daggers will only be really useful for leveling a rogue.

False! The daggers are great for leveling a hunter, too. :) Hunters cannot use maces, and the two hand axe/sword has strength. The one handed sword isn't worthwhile because it is a proc.

Just wanted to confirm this. Two heirloom daggers with 15 agi both is the best wep choice for leveling a hunter also. So they wont go to waste on a rogue if you ever plan to level a hunter. :)

Awesome guide though, helped a lot.
Edited by Thirus on 11/24/2010 4:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
Aeriwen,

Your mut levelling build takes 3/3 cut to the chase despite the fact that Deadly Momentum refreshes S&D anyway. I'm not calling you out, I just want to hear what you think the merits of that are vs 3/3 Ruthlessness instead, assuming that against high-HP mobs in Cata, we'll be executing multiple finishers?
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
This guide is specificly aimed at 1-80 leveling. A 80-85 build will certainly have to focus more on finishers. However Assassination doesn't have a whole lot of "finisher" talents. The reason why I didn't include ruthlessness is that the extra combo point is fairly minor in the grand scheme of things. Most things will be dead with only one or two finishers any way before 80.

Deadly Momentum is hands down tha best leveling talent for rogues, and maybe for all classes. Its really easy to get rolling and see how long you can keep it going.

Things will change 80-85, Precision will probably a good choice depending on how much stat decay there is and how much hit is on level gear. Really the choices become less clear cut and you start to see a lot more of those "interesting" choices that the devs try to design. While there are certainly clear "dps" talents. Most are minor or situational.

What I mean by that is that you would certainly want to pick up Murderous Intent if you are grouping a lot. However, from what I understand, a lot of the content is phase and very entertaining, so I expect most people will be soloing through the quests. I'll personally be picking up Night Stalker and then Elusiveness. Depending on the ratings deflation.

Like I said, its all situational. And its pretty easy to make those decisions at that point depending on your needs. After all, the player has 80 levels behind them at that point.
Edited by Aeriwen on 11/24/2010 6:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
7 Orc Warrior
Aeriwen,

Your mut levelling build takes 3/3 cut to the chase despite the fact that Deadly Momentum refreshes S&D anyway. I'm not calling you out, I just want to hear what you think the merits of that are vs 3/3 Ruthlessness instead, assuming that against high-HP mobs in Cata, we'll be executing multiple finishers?

I thought about it and it actually makes a bit of sense in that, if you can keep Deadly Momentum AND CttC procing, you wont ever have to chance losing energy on a low cp SnD. Of course it will fall off just due to breaks you take and the spread of the mobs, but these two together means you could just have SnD up a lot without actually hitting SnD that much at all.

Having said that, I would personally drop 3/3 Deadened Nerves and put it into Ruth for utilities sake. Fact of the matter is, you won't get damaged that much questing as a rogue. Add recup and Imp Recup into the mix and DN is overkill for solo questing. Ruth will allow you to pop off an SnD or Recup after a finisher. If done just before a mob dies, you can help ensure that you're proc'ing Deadly Momentum for both SnD and Recup and keep both up as much as possible. Or drop/snare runner mobs with Deadly Throw at higher levels. Or get to the next finisher faster.

Just my 2 cp.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
True enough. Its all preference. This is an extremely tanky build. Its easily can accommodate a more offensive focus. However, I wouldn't discount it until you've tried it. Deadened Nerves is extremely good. This is mainly for newer players that may not be so used to how squishy rogues are. This build helps ease players into it until they understand how all of abilities interact.
Edited by Aeriwen on 11/24/2010 6:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Having said that, I would personally drop 3/3 Deadened Nerves and put it into Ruth for utilities sake. Fact of the matter is, you won't get damaged that much questing as a rogue. Add recup and Imp Recup into the mix and DN is overkill for solo questing.
I actually found Deadened Nerves great for killing hard hitting elites when cooldowns alone aren't enough. Of course, if you're not trying to solo elites then the talent is pretty much worthless because Recup (especially with Imp Recup) out heals most damage you're taking.

TLDR: Some talents are personal preference.
Edited by Amielle on 11/25/2010 2:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
I agreed with Deadened Nerves. While I didn't participate in the Beta, I heard that 80-85 mobs hit like trucks, and DN will help with that. It will also help in the first dungeon runs where taking extraneous damage due to unfamiliar encounters will be inevitable. In my opinion.
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
What poisons do I use?
- Combat - Wound/Wound
- Assassination - Instant/Deadly
- Subtlety - Wound/Wound

Hum, I'd like to know some more about this as it does not seem to be what I would intuitively use.

I say that because at level 45 my Rouge's Instant does 98 damage vs Wound's 58. And there is really no reason for me to worry about having that 10% MS effect on anything that I would be killing while leveling.

Is the reason because Wound's PPM higher than Instant's?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]