Rogue Leveling FAQ (5.x)

(Sticky)

85 Goblin Rogue
What poisons do I use?
- Combat - Wound/Wound
- Assassination - Instant/Deadly
- Subtlety - Wound/Wound

Hum, I'd like to know some more about this as it does not seem to be what I would intuitively use.

I say that because at level 45 my Rouge's Instant does 98 damage vs Wound's 58. And there is really no reason for me to worry about having that 10% MS effect on anything that I would be killing while leveling.

Is the reason because Wound's PPM higher than Instant's?

The primary reason to use DP or WP as a combat rogue is to maintain the Savage Combat debuff. The increased 4% physical damage is nothing to sneeze at, and while leveling/soloing non-elites you won't get enough stacks of DP to make it proc your MH, which is why you use IP.
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
The primary reason to use DP or WP as a combat rogue is to maintain the Savage Combat debuff. The increased 4% physical damage is nothing to sneeze at, and while leveling/soloing non-elites you won't get enough stacks of DP to make it proc your MH, which is why you use IP.

Fair enough. However since you can't even put a single point into Savage Combat until 49 it would seem that a little more nuance is needed in that part of the guide.
Reply Quote
72 Undead Rogue
What do you think is the best spec for lvling from 70-80 ?

Been away from wow for 3 years and now I don't know much about rogue anymore
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
You can play well as any spec. Combat is the most straitforward and it can use non-daggers effectively. Assassination had more "ramp up" time, but poisons allow you bypass armor and I'd say it is significantly more "tanky" than combat. Subtlety epitomizes what rogues are about.

I would say try them all out, its rather cheap to switch specs. And dual spec only costs 100g now.
Edited by Aeriwen on 11/27/2010 4:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
What is a good poison macro?
#showtooltip
/cast [mod:shift] Deadly Poison; [mod:ctrl] Wound Poison; [mod:alt] Crippling Poison; Instant Poison
/click [button:1] 16; [button :2] 17; [button:3] 18
/click StaticPopup1Button1

Is this a current working macro? It doesn't seem to be working on my 45 rogue, the modifiers work, but left/right/middle clicking doesn't apply it to weapons.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
You may have typed a colon instead of a semicolon on the /click line.

the button mods use a :, but the logic breaks are ;
Edited by Aeriwen on 11/28/2010 12:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
#showtooltip
/use [mod:shift] Deadly Poison; [mod:ctrl] Wound Poison; [mod:alt] Crippling Poison; Instant Poison
/use [button:1] 16; [button:2] 17; [button:3] 18
/click StaticPopup1Button1

this is a working one for me, cant find the difference tho but it works when i copied it in to the game.
Edited by Shinray on 11/28/2010 3:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Ahh thank you, /use instead of /cast is working
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I feel silly now. I've correct the post.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Bumpity. Please like of bump, we sill have a lot of new players asking questioned answered in this FAQ.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Minor tweaks.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
This is a great thread so I wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write it. It's exactly what I've been looking for as I'm about to create a new worgen rogue (I'm unique I know...). My only suggestion would be combining this with another thread out there asking for help on which glyphs to take. Maybe you could add a recommended glyph or two for each spec :)

Thanks again for the post, I have it bookmarked now.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
Added some notes on stat priority.

Agi > expertise (cap) > hit (cap) > haste > mastery > crit >> Str

Care to explain where you came up with this? EJ's estimated stat priorities for 85 are very different:

Assassination: AGI>yellow hit>spell hit>mastery>haste>expertise>crit>white hit
Combat: AGI>yellow hit>expertise>haste>spell hit>white hit>crit>mastery
Subtlety: AGI>>yellow hit>haste>expertise>crit>spell hit>white hit>mastery

With the respective caps as follows:
HIT
2/3 precision: yellow:481, spell:1332, white: 2763
3/3 precision: yellow:241, spell 1127, white: 2523

EXP
w/o racial: 781
w/ racial: 691

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
The stat priority in Aeriwen's guide is for lvl 80. I suppose it changes at lvl 85.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
And concerning heirlooms? Go with 2 scarlet kriss or one kriss and one heartseeker? And is 2 haste trinkets (swift hand of justice) a good idea? I have plenty of crusader seals and honor waiting to be spent for my goblin rogue.
Reply Quote
7 Orc Warrior
Added some notes on stat priority.

Agi > expertise (cap) > hit (cap) > haste > mastery > crit >> Str

Care to explain where you came up with this? EJ's estimated stat priorities for 85 are very different:

Assassination: AGI>yellow hit>spell hit>mastery>haste>expertise>crit>white hit
Combat: AGI>yellow hit>expertise>haste>spell hit>white hit>crit>mastery
Subtlety: AGI>>yellow hit>haste>expertise>crit>spell hit>white hit>mastery

With the respective caps as follows:
HIT
2/3 precision: yellow:481, spell:1332, white: 2763
3/3 precision: yellow:241, spell 1127, white: 2523

EXP
w/o racial: 781
w/ racial: 691

I dunno about the expt and hit discrepancy, but haste and mastery changed places when shattering hit.

Prior to the shattering, Haste was valued at 2.2AEP and Mastery was valued at 1.9AEP, but this was when each pt of Mastery only gave +2.5%. After the shattering, each pt of Mastery now gives +3.5%, which was a relatively big increase.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
The stat priorities I listed are for leveling rogues. That means that you aren't able to cap most stats, because you don't have enough of each stat to cap. It also means that in most cases, you are tanking whatever you are killling, which means that expertise is unusually valuable for dps, since expertise stops parry and dodge.
You must understand that theorycrafting is just that; theory. You still have to apply it to your situation and make sure things still make sense. That still follows at level cap as well. You can't blindly follow EP ratings without understanding why they are listed as such.
Understand your class. Understand your situation. Then apply theory as required.

edit: That sounded more preachy, and it wasn't intended to be that way, but I'll leave it unedited. I just wanted to apologize in advance if it came across that way.
Edited by Aeriwen on 12/4/2010 12:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
12/03/2010 11:52 AMPosted by Akordya
And concerning heirlooms? Go with 2 scarlet kriss or one kriss and one heartseeker? And is 2 haste trinkets (swift hand of justice) a good idea? I have plenty of crusader seals and honor waiting to be spent for my goblin rogue.

The haste Haste/health trinkets are good if you have a bunch of gear you can get for cheap. With recuperate and kill speed though, its not really an issue.

If you are planning on leveling other characters, it would probably only go with one dagger, a slow weapon and run combat or subtlety. You can use the slow weapon on another class that you want to level as well that way. I say that because not many classes have use for fast weapons like daggers.

If emblems/seals are not an issue; I would run double dagger and mutilate. I say that because I think it is the easiest spec to learn/manage for learning how to rogue and it still performs well at level cap, so you don't have to relearn anything.
Edited by Aeriwen on 12/4/2010 12:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Thanks for this, awesome addition to the new forums
Reply Quote
40 Undead Rogue
bump
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]