Newbie, should I get LK and Cataclysm?

44 Night Elf Hunter
Ok, I have been hooked on the game for a little over a week now. I am learning more and more everyday. I am only doing quests right now, and am having a lot of fun doing so. This game is a whole new world to me, I still stuggle to understand some of the terminology, but I am researching and learning. I currently have Burning Crusades, and although I don't know that I am enjoying what it offers yet as I am only on level 25, I do know that I need all the expansions to get the latest. I assume at the rate I will play, it's still going to take me quite some time to get up into the 60's, so I am struggling to find out if I should get Lich King, and pre-order Cataclysm, or will I not benefit from them until I get up into or around the 60's. All I really understand is that I will gain two new characters, but I don't think I will use them right now. Are there things I will get to enjoy with Cata while in the 20's? The money isn't a big issue, but I have to believe if it takes me several months to get to where I will benefit, then maybe the price of at least LK may come down....Anyway, love the game, and thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
You really have two options to pick from. You can hold on until you get into 60's to buy WOTLK, then subsequently buy cata when you're nearing level 80. Another choice you have would be to buy everything right now, then when cata is introduced you can level up a goblin or a worgen.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Here's the list:

You don't need BC unless:

-you want to level in Outlands at level 58
-you want to level past 60
-you want to level professions past 300
-you want to play a Draenai or Blood Elf
-you want to take up Jewelcrafting as a profession
-you want to play in the Eye of the Storm battleground
-you want to do level 70 raids/instances

You don't need WotLK unless: (( zero benefits to someone under level 55 ))

-you want to level in Northrend at level 68
-you want to play past level 70
-you want to level professions past 375
-you want to play a Death Knight at level 55
-you want to play in the Strand of the Ancients, Isle of Conquest, or Wintergrasp battlegrounds
-you want to do level 80 raids/instances

You won't need Cata unless:

-you want to play past level 80
-you want to level professions past 450
-you want to play a Worgen or Goblin
-you want to play in the Twin Peaks and Tol Barad battlegrounds
-you want to do level 85 raids/instances
-you want to do level 85 arena fights
Reply Quote
44 Night Elf Hunter
Ok, so it basically looks like I will not see any differences until level 55. I did read somewhere that a bunch of quests are going to change in the beginning levels of cata, this is what got me really thinking. Maybe I should look more into the Worgen's, and Goblins, as if I do decide to level with one, might as well start early. I have actually created 4 characters, just to see which one I like the most. I want to get them all to at least level 10 if not level 20, although I can't seem to stop playing the level 25 Night Elf Hunter.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Cataclysm's zone and quest changes are going to go live this Tuesday, we think. Regardless they will come in patch 4.0.3a and will not require the expansion. The patch will be released before the expansion.
Reply Quote
44 Night Elf Hunter
Ok, so if I read that correctly, then unless I want to level a Worgen or Goblin, then I can just wait til I get closer to 55?
Reply Quote
80 Human Warlock
Actually, you could wait til you get close to level 80 to buy Cataclysm.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
Wait until 55, but watch for sales during the holiday season for Wrath expansion. You might be able to find it for $20 instead of $40.
Reply Quote
44 Night Elf Hunter
Will do, thanks for all the advice guys......
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
I'd say buy WotLK when you're in the mid 60's, and then Cata when you're in the mid 70's.
Reply Quote
49 Human Warrior
MAW
Don't rush take your time and enjoy the exploring and leveling it's the best part of the game. In three weeks the world will be torn asunder (even if you don't have the expansions) and you will have a whole new world to work with.
Reply Quote
I currently have Burning Crusades, and although I don't know that I am enjoying what it offers yet as I am only on level 25

At that level, not only can you make a Draenei or Blood Elf, other characters can visit those zones. And with a holiday coming up this week, you'll be able to participate more fully if you want.

With Cata however, you'll only be able to see the goblin and worgen starting zones if you make one of those races. From what I've heard, that's about the only reason to have Cata at a low level; most other changes will either be for high level characters, or will be available to all players regardless of what they have installed.

Still, now's the time to watch for sales too.

...although I can't seem to stop playing the level 25 Night Elf Hunter.

I'd call that a good sign ^_^
Edited by Jakjak on 11/21/2010 1:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
44 Night Elf Hunter
Well, I just downloaded ROTLK, and Cata for $49. I felt like that was a pretty good deal, so I went for it. Glad I did too, as my maps have all changed, and so have my quests. Almost like starting fresh, glad I did it early.....thanks for all the advice....
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
its too bad you didn't wait till recently. the season sales are on so says the front page. : (
Edited by Trayndice on 11/23/2010 8:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Orc Hunter
I say buy WotLK ASAP. It's currently on sale in the Blizz online store for $10.
No telling how long the sale will last.
(Battle Chest is also $10)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I say buy WotLK ASAP. It's currently on sale in the Blizz online store for $10.
No telling how long the sale will last.
(Battle Chest is also $10)

THe sale will last a week. $5 for Vanilla, $5 for BC and $10 for LK.

- Corylyn/Wynnoa, Wyrmrest Accord
Edited by Corylyn on 11/24/2010 3:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Here's the list:

Yay for Ice copypasta!

By the way, JC trainers have found their way to capital cities. So you no longer need BC.

- Corylyn/Wynnoa, Wyrmrest Accord
Reply Quote
By the way, JC trainers have found their way to capital cities. So you no longer need BC.

Groovy, and far less running for my jewelers.

Just out of curiosity...

I'm glad they finally did that, and I wondered if they also changed the belf starter zone so that other Horde races could do the quests -- then remembered faction can come from tabards now, so that's got me to wondering if we'll need BC to get Silvermoon/Exodar rep.

[edit] Okay scratch that, we will need it because the tabards come from the home city, so without BC we can't get those tabards.
Edited by Jakjak on 11/24/2010 3:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Here's the list:

-you want to level in Outlands at level 58
-you want to level past 60
-you want to level professions past 300
-you want to play a Draenai or Blood Elf
-you want to play in the Eye of the Storm battleground
-you want to do level 70 raids/instances

You don't need WotLK unless: (( zero benefits to someone under level 55 ))

-you want to level in Northrend at level 68
-you want to play past level 70
-you want to level professions past 375
-you want to play a Death Knight at level 55
-you want to play in the Strand of the Ancients, Isle of Conquest, or Wintergrasp battlegrounds
-you want to do level 80 raids/instances

You won't need Cata unless:

-you want to play past level 80
-you want to level professions past 450
-you want to play a Worgen or Goblin
-you want to play in the Twin Peaks and Tol Barad battlegrounds
-you want to do level 85 raids/instances
-you want to do level 85 arena fights

This is a pretty good guide to go by, but you also want to keep in mind that the current prices for all three may not last forever. If I were you, I would snatch them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]