The real football

(Locked)

85 Dwarf Priest
Question: Why is Soccer so widely played? I have my answer, curious of what others think.
70 Gnome Warlock
My theory would be the aggressive expansionism of European powers. They imparted the sport to colonies etc, and when they left the sport remained (Hence Africa, South America etc are far more fanatical than Asia and the like).

It's why cricket is popular in most of the places it's popular, at any rate.
85 Undead Priest
I think because soccer doesn't really rely on the physical power of one's size, like NFL, Rugby, AFL,etc you don't really get small guys playing that and becoming successful. Seeing as soccer is far less of a contact sport ( albeit it still is one) then you get all different sizes playing it. It also has far more history than most others, leaving traditions of families to take it through the generations and pass it down. Those are my theories anyway, as well as carbonara's - he makes a good point.

Most NFL clubs are I'm guessing 1930's ish? I really don't know a lot about the sport, but a lot of the English football clubs go back to the 1870's and onwards, about the time the Indians were still having their squabble with the White man over there I think. Might be wrong on that.
Edited by Sinhanna on 11/20/2010 9:34 PM PST
85 Dwarf Priest
But how popular was Soccer pre 20th century? I mean, the first world cup wasn't till the 1930s and the U.S. even got 3rd place! Seems like it blew up later than other sports. But I could be very wrong on that.

My theory is because of how easy it is to play. Just need a ball and dirt. And even two people can practice, one goalie and one shooting. Or practicing by yourself by dribbling.

Edit: Sin, American Football goes back pre 20th century. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_football

Edited by Brontar on 11/20/2010 9:35 PM PST
85 Undead Priest
Yep, thats a good part of it too, you just need a ball and you can even practice certain things by yourself.

In the post prior to yours I mentioned most football clubs especially in England formed around the 1870's onwards so round about that time onwards it started to pick up.
85 Dwarf Priest
Yep, thats a good part of it too, you just need a ball and you can even practice certain things by yourself.

In the post prior to yours I mentioned most football clubs especially in England formed around the 1870's onwards so round about that time onwards it started to pick up.

Yes but what about the rest of the world? Being curious I looked up Brazil real fast.

This was interesting. "The history of soccer in Brazil really starts in 1930, when they participated in the first World Cup and despite being knocked out in the first stages, the media coverage of the World Cup brought soccer in the light and in the eyes of every young Brazilian. "

http://www.soccer-fans-info.com/history-of-soccer-in-brazil.html

Maybe the answer then is because Soccer was one of the first to instigate a world wide tournament? I don't know how much the rest of the world's story is similar to Brazil, but I think the fact that the U.S. was 3rd shows it wasn't too huge.
85 Undead Priest
Thats pretty interesting, American Football is older than I thought actually. Apparently " soccer" was first played with the " camribdge rules" in 1848, but actually dates back to the Middle Ages, christ. I thought it was newer than that.

In terms of professional clubs operating with money,etc I think it would be around the 1870's when a lot of the clubs who are still around today formed. But i'd have to check that out.
85 Dwarf Priest
Most sports require money to actually play them properly.

This.

Also, what you said of Basketball, it is becoming more and more popular world wide. But it is also harder to get a 10 foot basket than to make goals for soccer. We used to just throw shirts or whatever we had to mark Soccer goals.

I think it must be a combination of the socio economic factor as well as the early world wide coverage (and by early I mean 1930) that the world cup gave to the sport. Give it attention, and make it easy to then play (economically and practically) and voila.

This is the real reason I think soccer is not famous in the U.S. Everyone wants to make it an ego issue, but by the 1930s football and basketball and baseball were already HUGE in this country. So soccer was a new sport in the U.S., while a country like Brazil or all of south america or africa for that matter, it was their first large scaled sport.
85 Dwarf Priest
I hate sports. But soccer is the only one that will capture and hold my attention. It's pretty easy to understand without silly and complicated rules to muddle the excitement.

And most of the players are pretty hot. Just sayin.

We cover up the faces of our men so the ladies aren't distracted.

Come on Toie, you know you like it. http://www.tombrady.com/
80 Draenei Hunter
I know someone who likes to criticize the beautiful game but when his national team gets taught how to play by Brasil, he throws a fit....

American football is the most mind-numbing boring sport I have ever seen. It is beyond tedious and too long.

real football > handball. That is all.
85 Dwarf Priest
I know someone who likes to criticize the beautiful game but when his national team gets taught how to play by Brasil, he throws a fit....

American football is the most mind-numbing boring sport I have ever seen. It is beyond tedious and too long.

For the record, she refers to the Championship Cup game played in 2009. As some may recall the U.S. had a 2-0 lead in the first half. But could I cheer? Oh no, not a word without the fires of hades being brought against me.

But then once Luis Fabiano (who she said sucked and I loved) turned the game around she went ape crazy. Sure, Brazil is by far the better team, but come on U.S. 2-0 lead in SOCCER at half time? We aren't Slovenia or anything. Can't give that up.

And she has no idea how American football works, so of course she doesn't like it.
70 Gnome Warlock

Agreed. I was watching the super bowl one year, and wound up changing channel to watch a M*A*S*H rerun, I was that bored.

How can you take so long to play a damned game? 20 minute (I think?) quarters that go for an hour each? Ugh
80 Draenei Hunter

For the record, she refers to the Championship Cup game played in 2009. As some may recall the U.S. had a 2-0 lead in the first half. But could I cheer? Oh no, not a word without the fires of hades being brought against me.

But then once Luis Fabiano (who she said sucked and I loved) turned the game around she went ape crazy. Sure, Brazil is by far the better team, but come on U.S. 2-0 lead in SOCCER at half time? We aren't Slovenia or anything. Can't give that up.

And she has no idea how American football works, so of course she doesn't like it.

The fact that you had a 2-0 lead and still lost just makes it all more hilarious loool. I thought your problem with soccer is that it lacks excitement, well I hope that was exciting enough.

I said I hated Fabiano in a moment of great unhappiness and disappointment. It wasn't true. >.>

I understand how american football works and it is the definition of boring:
-bend over
-cuddle time
-run for 5 secs
-cuddle again
-repeat all the previous

85 Dwarf Priest
I don't like either of you
70 Gnome Warlock

I understand how american football works and it is the definition of boring:
-bend over
-cuddle time
-run for 5 secs
-cuddle again
-repeat all the previous

Don't forget:
- run for 20 seconds over a line (Don't even have to touch the ball down, to get a touch down...)
85 Undead Priest
Valuable input grenade, there is nothing like taking articulate debate to a new level.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]