DW Enhancement a myth?

From a leveling perspective I am finding it difficult to find good 1h maces or axes to use. Almost all of the ones I found in Classic and Burning Crusade zones either as drops or as quest rewards were fast (1.80 or faster) and had strength on them. So far in Wrath zones it hasn't been much better. The weapons I am seeing are slower (2.20 to 2.80) which is a vast improvident, or would be, except they come with a bunch of haste on them.

So am I just missing a bunch of viable maces and having back luck with quest choice/drops or does Blizzard really need to revamp the 1h weapon choices available below 75?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
This is because Blizzard was really horrible with Enhancement itemization until ICC came out, with good axes from 10M lootship.

Until then, all good Enhancement weapons only dropped from bosses that were a real pain to down in pugs.

And yes, this is including TBC. We finally got lucky near the end of TBC with a pair of Fist weapons being available for Badges of Justice (Vanir's Fists, iirc, still have them in my bank).

As far as questing items? Yeah, it's a #!*## to find good ones. You pretty much have to scour wowhead for them.

Once you get to 80, you could try doing VH for the Fist weapon that drops there (and it looks pretty cool). I believe it's matching partner comes from the Emblem of Heroism vendor, but it's been a while, so I'm not sure. They're a pretty good starting point for Enhance Shaman.

Of course, in another 2 weeks...you'll be more worried about Cata gear.
Edited by Matuk on 11/21/2010 1:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
I don't plan to even worry about getting any gear on my Shaman, at least not enough to run any ICCs. I am just hoping to push out these last 8 levels before Cataclysm drops. That aside I am hoping that with the zones being reworked for Cataclysm hopefully Blizzard will go back and rework some of the quest rewards and drops.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Once you get to 80, you could try doing VH for the Fist weapon that drops there (and it looks pretty cool). I believe it's matching partner comes from the Emblem of Heroism vendor, but it's been a while, so I'm not sure. They're a pretty good starting point for Enhance Shaman.

You're thinking of the CoS fist. An axe (the key) drops in VH.
Reply Quote

I know the axe you're talking about, used it on my DK until I finally got a pair of axes out of Forge of Souls.
Reply Quote
81 Tauren Shaman
actually, this is because Enhancement Shamans used to be on the Strength scale like Warriors or Paladins, and not the Agility scale like they are now. When they made the changes, they did go back and redo some gear here and there, but they hardly ever touch weapons. On top of that, Enhancement COULDN'T DW until 40ish, so you're not going to find many slow 1H weapons period, much less some that really itemize correctly. Because of the way the new talent trees work, especially with Lava Lash, I would suggest go ahead and picking up what you can, and just using them. Maybe even use caster maces, as those tend to be slow, and caster stats aren't TERRIBLE for us. It really is something they overlooked, and I'm sure is being fixed with the 403a world changes.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
been much better. The weapons I am seeing are slower (2.20 to 2.80) which is a vast improvident, or would be, except they come with a bunch of haste on them.

Just for future reference, haste is good for us and has no bearing on the speed issue. The stuff affected by slower weapons works off base speed, not modified speed.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
HA, late enhance shamans don't know the patch notes from back then. It wasn't until late BC that enhance shamans were given the internal cooldown of windfury. This is why we had threat issues back then, and was the reason for our awesomeness at the time.
Reply Quote
49 Human Warlock
Yes, much of the 1H's and Mail armor will still have Str on it. Str is not bad for Enhance though, it still provides 1AP, but not as good as Agility which isn't really guaranteed till after 60.

Here's a list of a few bosses who drop some decent 1H's tho:

-Cookie in VC.
-Lord Pythas in WC
-Baron Silvermane in SFK
-Deathspeaker Priest in RFK
-Whitemane in SM
-Anutsul in ZF

Many of these weapons have str or int, but the weapon damage alone is a good upgrade. After BC it shouldn't be too hard to find weapons, and even greens on ah are pretty good cause they get "of the bandit" type labels.

And if you have honor that you can transfer, you can buy PVP weapons at 60 or 70. They are 2.90 speed as well so very good and will last from 60-70.

Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
HA, late enhance shamans don't know the patch notes from back then. It wasn't until late BC that enhance shamans were given the internal cooldown of windfury. This is why we had threat issues back then, and was the reason for our awesomeness at the time.

Wrong. The ICD came in back in vanilla. Very late in vanilla, mind you, but it was still in vanilla.

Really? Man, it HAS been a long time.
Edited by Matuk on 11/21/2010 11:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Wrong. The ICD came in back in vanilla. Very late in vanilla, mind you, but it was still in vanilla.

But you could DW two ranks of WF to get around the ICD for most of BC, effectively rendering it worthless. They took quite a long time to fix that and set us firmly on the WF/FT path we're on now.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman

But you could DW two ranks of WF to get around the ICD for most of BC, effectively rendering it worthless. They took quite a long time to fix that and set us firmly on the WF/FT path we're on now.

That is a completely different situation altogether though. :)

It did take forever for them to fix it, I think it was something I was doing even back in Hyjal.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
I had a real problem getting decent weapons before I hit 80 as well. I kinda just toughed it out with some less than desirable ones and pushed to 80 as quickly as I could. Then I picked up Tankard of Terror x 2 on the AH, which were eventually upgraded with NightTime x2 from heroic forge of Souls.

Try using maxdps.com, it lets you set different item options and then search for a listing of the best things available to you. I have found it extremely helpful for several characters.
Reply Quote
I lost faith in maxdps.com when they told me that Arcane Mage Rotation post 4.x is Arcane Blast x4 - Missile Barrage (or Arcane Missiles if they Proc'd).

This was in no way accurate at the time, and probably still isn't.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
yeah i'll def agree with you, their rotations are usually crap. i've still found it useful for gear though, because all it is a list of items and where they are from; no opinion or conjecture involved like in a rotation. it's certainly not perfect. but it's a starting point if you don't know what to look for like I didn't when i was gearing
Reply Quote
yeah i'll def agree with you, their rotations are usually crap. i've still found it useful for gear though, because all it is a list of items and where they are from; no opinion or conjecture involved like in a rotation. it's certainly not perfect. but it's a starting point if you don't know what to look for like I didn't when i was gearing

Good point. I'll probably just end up hitting 80 and parking my Shaman until Cataclysm and hoping that Blizz loves me with quest rewards and drops in the new zones.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
I don't plan to even worry about getting any gear on my Shaman, at least not enough to run any ICCs. I am just hoping to push out these last 8 levels before Cataclysm drops. That aside I am hoping that with the zones being reworked for Cataclysm hopefully Blizzard will go back and rework some of the quest rewards and drops.

Nighttime, seven fingered claw, Black icicle, are all great.

And haste isn't that bad, just reforge some of it to mastery and you'll be fine.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
Not that it really helps you now, but post-shattering and on to Cataclysm enhancement shaman who are leveling have plenty of options when it comes to gear from quest rewards.
Reply Quote
86 Goblin Shaman
according to your thing it says your level 72, at 75 you can do the amphitheatre for the 1h mace, and then ragemane for the axe (yes its technically a tanking axe but it hits hard and is 2.6 so its perfect) and that will hold you over till 80 where you can easily pick up two nighttimes from bronjahm or farm honor to pick up two weapons
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]