Priest: Holy or Disc

18 Undead Priest
Ello, im new to healing and to priests, and i want to go healing spec all the way to 80, can someone please explain in great detail the pro's, con's and difrences between using holy or disc to heal?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
Disc is easy sauce for lower heals. Your shield itself should keep people topped off most of the time. You can use Heal if you ever need to top DPS off. If your leveling through LFD, beware, it'll make you really cynical.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
Holy has more multi-target burst options, and holy word is fun, although you won't get the chakra synergy till much much later. The downside is that the mana will be tighter. Disc is much simpler while leveling, and theoretically speaking should be faster (less downtime, better smite etc). Both will be significantly slower killing mobs in the world at large compared to shadow however, and I'd recommend dual spec if you're committed to doing dungeons with a heal-spec.
Reply Quote
91 Goblin Priest
I would suggest you Disc. I lvled Disc, and I can easily heal throught LFG and raid in Disc. Holy is great but you must play it well to enjoy it. Disc priest are really loved for Lich King fight for example
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Warrior
Vis
Penance shoots spinning bolts of awesome into people to heal them. Go disc.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
@Jajie
That is a good way to separate the two. Holy is focused on renew and their mastery adds a heal over time to it.

Discipline is all about the shields. (To me anyway, I'm holy.) Their mastery buffs their shields.

So if you're having a hard time deciding on which you would like to level; think of it like this: With discipline you ensure that your party takes a little damage as possible before you have to heal. With holy you provide enough heal over time effects (or HoTs) that you can heal through the damage. Just be warned though, holy will drain your mana if you are not careful.

Watch your mana, keep your gear up, and run randoms for practice. In time you will get the hang of it and decide if it is a good fit for you.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Shaman
I've been healing on my Priest (currently 55) since 30. Holy gave me mana problems, Disc is a lot of fun and virtually NO mana problems if you play conservatively and realize you dont have 700 intellect yet. I suggest Disc.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Ello, im new to healing and to priests, and i want to go healing spec all the way to 80, can someone please explain in great detail the pro's, con's and difrences between using holy or disc to heal?

Disc is less-focused on AoE healing, so it's going to be your best bet for dealing with the typical lack of gear on your / the tank's end.

Edit: You also don't end up with two talents that either require someone to click on them or require you to be dead.
Edited by Sorania on 11/21/2010 1:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
18 Undead Priest
Thx guys, ill go and try disc now :3
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Dual spec and use both. That's what I do. :P
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest

In Cataclysm, Holy Priests are by far the hardest class to play, for little reward, if any.

They really need to up Holy Priest mana a bit, and maybe make Circle of Healing worth using again.

This doesn't begin to cover QoL changes or PvP viability.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Penance shoots spinning bolts of awesome into people to heal them.

If this was the actualy in-game description for that Disc spell you'd see so many more healing-priests.

You also don't end up with two talents that either require someone to click on them or require you to be dead.

One thing leads to another and before you know it some ones shouting: "&!#^ing noobtard healer doesnt &*%ing know how to heal! And quit using that &!$* Angel Spell! Every time you do it kills you! *$%#!"

Dual spec and use both. That's what I do. :P

2 healing specs? isnt that a little excessive?
Edited by Drelnu on 11/23/2010 9:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest

I feel disc is the way to go.

Disc is about mitigating damage while holy is about reacting to damage. When you Queue up for dungeons and get grouped with Pugs, you WILL be grouped with undergeared players. It is just a fact of life. As disc, your "bubbles" negate some of the bad gear and mistakes that the group can make.
Also, while leveling, disc just feels better. I used to have more spell power as holy before 4.01 patch, but now, it has all changed. I only use holy when raiding because there is already a disc priest in the guild. I look forward towards the day Holy is not a "broken" class.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Discipine and Holy are both great it just depends on your play style.
Me? Prefer Discipine cause they are really great healers and are exstremely mana efficent than holy.
They can reduce the mana cost of there instant casts how awsome is that? Awsome! Discipline has Divine Aegis wich works well with Power word buble cause Divine Aegis creats a buble when your pennance and etc get a crit so its like putting 2bubbles on one pearson. I just kno Discipline priests are the way to go.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
With the new prayer of healing, disc is simply.. amazing.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Holy has an insanely high skill cap to play well and you don't get a lot of the tools you need to function correctly until much later in the leveling process. If you are new to healing I would strongly suggest Disc initially until you get comfortable with healing and then you can explore the synergies and emergant gameplay potential of the holy spec.

Also as others have suggested Disc is less gear dependant so you won't struggle as much if your gear is behind the curve for any reason.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I've played both Holy, and Disc - I prefer Disc.

The actual amount of healing is a bit less than Holy - yet the shields for a Disc priest are better, and there's a greater mana pool to work with.

And as others have said - Penance is pretty neat, and if things get nasty you can always do dps which IMO is much better than what Holy has to offer.
Reply Quote
7 Tauren Priest
Question about Disc Priests, since I myself am planning on speccing in this. I realize the focus of the Disc spec is the shields moreso than the heals, and that's cool, I'm fine with that. But correct me if I'm wrong...if the tank you are healing for in a group is a Warrior or Druid in Bear Form, wouldn't you NOT want to shield them and rather instead just heal them, so they can build their rage? IIRC, if a warrior is shielded, they do not build rage when attacked.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]