Priest: Holy or Disc

90 Human Priest
Nope, disc doesn't interfear with rage generation at all and hasn't done so since wrath launched. It will reduce vengance a little bit but with undergeared players dps will only pull if attacking the wrong target anyway.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Disc friggin sucks.

Holy is pretty cool.

Please tell us you've played both?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Nope, disc doesn't interfear with rage generation at all and hasn't done so since wrath launched. It will reduce vengance a little bit but with undergeared players dps will only pull if attacking the wrong target anyway.

The only time a healer (be it Disc or Holy) has to be careful is when he/she applies the shield upon the tank; too soon - and they angry mob might come after the healer (plenty of times this has happened to me - lol).

I found that if you shield the tank just after they make contact with the mob - more often than not you won't pull them away from the tank...Then I spam the tank with renew, and then begin to shield/renew other melee members in the group.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid

The only time a healer (be it Disc or Holy) has to be careful is when he/she applies the shield upon the tank; too soon - and they angry mob might come after the healer (plenty of times this has happened to me - lol).

I found that if you shield the tank just after they make contact with the mob - more often than not you won't pull them away from the tank...Then I spam the tank with renew, and then begin to shield/renew other melee members in the group.

Thats why you shield them before they enter combat, then you dont have to worry about pulling immediate agro :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Ello, im new to healing and to priests, and i want to go healing spec all the way to 80, can someone please explain in great detail the pro's, con's and difrences between using holy or disc to heal?

holy with a very high haste is a lot of fun.
greater heal casts in 1.1s with 2 stacks of serendipity for a reduced mana cost. It's amazingly fast and powerfull.

And I guess any healing class can do marvel with high haste, if you have your regen and overhealing under control.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
My guild is looking stacked to the brim with holy speccing priests.

To I'm going to go for the trend breaker and try to fill the disc priest niche.

However - I'm doing this on some blind, monkeybrained faith that blizz will make sure that both specs are competitive somewhere around lv 85.

Right now - holy appears to have better throughput (at least it did pre chakra change)
But I have less mana issues with Disc.

And the synergy is better with my SP off-spec
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Holy is tailored primarily as a raid healer because of the wide-range of spells you have available. The main difference between Holy and Disc is your tools. Holy has more powerful Renew with Empowered Renew on top of Circle of Healing and Holy Word: Sanctuary. Chakra is also another perk which allows you to switch between AOE and single target healing modes.

Disc is tailored primarily towards single target healing and using PWS. Your main perk is Penance which is essentially a channeled Greater Heal and the shorter CD PWS. Typically in raids you go down the list and just chain cast PWS, but that's going to change in the expansion. Your raid healing isn't as good as Holy, but you can get the job done, but you'll easily trump Holy in Tank healing. Disc also has better mana tools and Power Word: Barrier is a raid-wide damage reduction which is greater for those little niches.

Overall Priests are more forced into raid healing roles where unfortunately Holy has better capabilities. Discipline has for the entire expansion been a one-button money because of PWS being able to beat or cheese specific raid mechanics. Without the PWS spamming in Cataclysm I'm finding it difficult to find a role for Disc as a raid healer.
Reply Quote
40 Blood Elf Priest
Wow. After being a resto Druid for so long I just assumed the holy tree on this toon. The feedback here has made me decide to respec when I get home. I haven't found any issues so far (low level healing) but the comments about disc spec has got me intrigued! Thanks for all the info.

Susi
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Druid
Holy is tailored primarily as a raid healer because of the wide-range of spells you have available. The main difference between Holy and Disc is your tools. Holy has more powerful Renew with Empowered Renew on top of Circle of Healing and Holy Word: Sanctuary. Chakra is also another perk which allows you to switch between AOE and single target healing modes.

Holy receives +15% (Spiritual Healing) and +11% (Divine Touch + Echo of Light).

Discipline receives +14% haste (Borrowed Time), +10% critical (Renewed Hope), 206% vs. 150% critical bonus (Divine Aegis + Mastery). With even 10% base critical, Discipline's Renew actually heals for more than Holy's.

Disc is tailored primarily towards single target healing and using PWS. Your main perk is Penance which is essentially a channeled Greater Heal and the shorter CD PWS. Typically in raids you go down the list and just chain cast PWS, but that's going to change in the expansion. Your raid healing isn't as good as Holy, but you can get the job done, but you'll easily trump Holy in Tank healing. Disc also has better mana tools and Power Word: Barrier is a raid-wide damage reduction which is greater for those little niches.

In terms of tank healing, Discipline receives +24% from Grace, 10% criticals from Renewed Hope and the 206% vs. 150% criticals. On a single target, the Borrowed Time buff effectively grants something more akin to 4% haste.

Holy receives +15% Spiritual Healing, +10% Echo of Light, +25% criticals with about 50% uptime, a potential 12% from Test of Faith and +39% throughput from Serendipity. It's also more efficient due to Holy Word: Serenity (6.12% base mana after cost reductions, heals for a little less than Flash Heal) and auto-refresh on Renew.

It seems like you're giving Wrath-era advice, not Cataclysm-era advice.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
My guild is looking stacked to the brim with holy speccing priests.

To I'm going to go for the trend breaker and try to fill the disc priest niche.

However - I'm doing this on some blind, monkeybrained faith that blizz will make sure that both specs are competitive somewhere around lv 85.

Right now - holy appears to have better throughput (at least it did pre chakra change)
But I have less mana issues with Disc.

And the synergy is better with my SP off-spec

The sign of a good Disc Priest, is that they aren't the top healer in the raid. If you're doing disc right, than you shouldn't ever top a Holy spec healing, and if you are, get a better tank. Disc is about damage mitigation over healing damage.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I have been holy ever since i started playing.. i love it.. i an heal tank with no problem and being able to heal raid is awesome.. in raids i have noticed that no matter what type of healer you have i still have to heal the tanks. i can quest and kill mobs just fine, as far as mana i really don't have problems. i have healed low geared tanks in dungeons without any problems. this is a very fun spec.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]