Efficiency differences between heals

90 Draenei Shaman
So I was reading one of the priest threads and someone made this comment:

Originally there was a fear that people would gear away from spirit to get enough throughput from heal if it was too good, and just spam heal. So the spells were moved together in terms of HPM, Heal is still better HPM but not by ridiculous amounts.

In other words, heal and greater heal are very close in efficiency and you are not significantly penalized for choosing the wrong one.

I decided if this is true for non-priest healers using values from beta in tier 11 raid gear (premades). This is what I got:

Pally:
Holy light is 25% more efficient than Divine light.

Disc priest:

Heal is 10% more efficient than Greater heal (less when you account for Inner focus and train of thought).

Holy priest:

Heal is 10% more efficient than Greater heal.

Druid:

Nourish is 25% more efficient than Healing Touch.

Shaman:
Healing Wave is 43% (!!!) more efficient than Greater Healing Wave.

I'm not sure why the difference between priest heals is so small outside of it being intended, but the big difference for shaman is because Greater Healing Wave is extremely expensive when compared to Healing wave, much more than other healers.

This was done by comparing HPM between the big and efficient heals. This is a valid comparison between heals within a class, but not when you want to compare across class.
Edited by Caryna on 11/21/2010 11:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
Blizz assumes that every one of these abilities are used as frequently as possible given right spec?

Power Word: Shield
Lightwell
Chakra
Power Infusion

I don't know exactly how blizz is balancing priests but I am at the point that I feel that either Disc or Holy needs to be made into a DPS/group-buff tree with capacity to heal as limited as that of a shadow priest.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Shaman:

This is probably due to Tidal Waves. I'm not sure comparing across classes is terribly useful, as even our efficient heals have a wide variation in interaction with other spells, talents, etc.

Perhaps priests don't have a big benefit to using the efficient heal because Blizzard feels like they have enough spell variation even if they don't cast the efficient heal.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Perhaps priests don't have a big benefit to using the efficient heal because Blizzard feels like they have enough spell variation even if they don't cast the efficient heal.

Probably more due to our mastery than anything else. The remainder of our "spell variation" is really expensive mana wise.

Than again, I don't see this kind of comparison very useful for comparing mana expenditure rates. It might be something to think about six months down the road when figuring out how healers scale.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Shaman:

This is probably due to Tidal Waves. I'm not sure comparing across classes is terribly useful, as even our efficient heals have a wide variation in interaction with other spells, talents, etc.

I'm sorry, but what does Tidal Waves have to do with the HPM comparison between HW and GHW?

Tidal Waves only changes the HPS of the spells, not the HPM. Though I do agree that the efficiency discrepancies can be attributed spell interaction for each class.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
I don't know exactly how blizz is balancing priests but I am at the point that I feel that either Disc or Holy needs to be made into a DPS/group-buff tree with capacity to heal as limited as that of a shadow priest.

Why do you feel that would be the best approach?
Edited by Believe on 11/21/2010 4:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Blizz assumes that every one of these abilities are used as frequently as possible given right spec?

Power Word: Shield
Lightwell
Chakra
Power Infusion

Having two healing trees is perfectly fine. The problem exists on the side of the development where there seems to be this idea that it's perfectly fine for the other healers' single trees to function just as well as both Priest trees - instead of making Disc and Holy able to stand entirely on their own merits for both raid and single-target healing.

But then, we still have Lightwell as a talent, so I suppose it's not that hard to tell there's confusion in the design.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

Probably more due to our mastery than anything else. The remainder of our "spell variation" is really expensive mana wise.

Than again, I don't see this kind of comparison very useful for comparing mana expenditure rates. It might be something to think about six months down the road when figuring out how healers scale.

I actually made a post that dealt with cross healer comparisons with single target heals on the old forums. This is not intended to be anything like that.

You also want to keep in mind that the other heals you will cast are actually much more efficient than Heal and Greater heal (or whatever they are for your class). Holy word aspire is about twice as efficient as greater heal (before the crit bonus as well). Swiftmend, PW:S+penance, holy shock+WoG and riptide/earth shield are up there as well. Your "efficient heal" is actually not very efficient, it just doesn't have a CD.
Reply Quote
Having two healing trees is perfectly fine. The problem exists on the side of the development where there seems to be this idea that it's perfectly fine for the other healers' single trees to function just as well as both Priest trees - instead of making Disc and Holy able to stand entirely on their own merits for both raid and single-target healing.

I think you mean that two healing trees would be fine IF the devs would stop balancing healing priests as if they still have access to the talent requiring abilities in the Holy and Disc trees.

Which is basically what I said except I have almost given up hope that such a change on the development side will ever occur. And if it won't happen then priests need to be give a tree comparable to that of enhance shaman: DPS and group enhancements.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]