Connected Realms Update - 12/19

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Death Knight
Oh YAY!! IC posting toon, complete with shadow! No clue why it took an hour longer for me.... oh wait.... yeah, it's because I'm on satband.... :(
90 Draenei Priest
Not merged? Yes, it is. That's what "connected realm" means.... I'm showing it as "high" as well, on the realms list in game.

If that's really how it is, then there really is a chance for server queues I suppose? Not cool...
12/16/2013 07:30 PMPosted by Raevenne
Not merged? Yes, it is. That's what "connected realm" means.... I'm showing it as "high" as well, on the realms list in game.

If that's really how it is, then there really is a chance for server queues I suppose? Not cool...

Yeah. TOTALLY not cool.
90 Human Mage

[And how do you get an IC posting toon even if shadowed? I still don't have any available....]

Just checked.. Shows medium on the web page and high in game.. which is right I wonder.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/status

While there was a little competition doing dailies on my fresh 80, it wasn't that bad. 4 winds chat was social.. I'm excited.
Well, considering around a hundred Maly toons at Shrine AH, "high" is most likely.
90 Draenei Priest
Icecrown and Malygos are both showing as Medium in the Realm Selection window in the game client now, though it was showing High earlier in game even though the site status page said Medium. No idea what all that really means.
7 Worgen Hunter
This is total crap! I have been playing on Anvilmar since day 1 (8 yrs) A WEST COAST REALM and now I log on after this connection crap and I am on some east coast server? WTF I live on the West Coast not the East Coast and if I wanted to play on a server that is 3 hours ahead of mine I would! I want to know WHY Anvilmar was changed and how do I get back to my West Coast server???
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Whirlwind and Emberstorm (and the Phoenix datacenter) have ceased to exist as of today (which probably explains the forum portrait shadowing last week -- keep an eye out when it happens to the NY datacenter). Every realm in the two battlegroups has found a new battlegroup home (i.e. Lightbringer = Cyclone, Uther = Vengeance, Moon Guard = Reckoning). I'd love to see a full list of the changes, even if it doesn't really matter much in the long run.

Oh, and The Forgotten Coast is now in the Ruin battlegroup (Chicago). Vashj, the only other Phoenix PvP realm that hasn't been connected yet, is in Bloodlust. {Vashj + Frostwolf or Ner'zhul?}

Farstriders is now on Bloodlust, unlike the other RP realms that were in Phoenix (they went to Cyclone and Reckoning). So, {Farstriders + Silver Hand} in the near future?

ALSO, RAVENHOLDT IS NOW IN SHADOWBURN (Chicago)!!! No word on The Venture Co. yet -- it's still in Nightfall (NY).

Looks like Blizzard has removed a pretty big hurdle in the realm connection process.

Speculation?
Edited by Disclosure on 12/16/2013 11:35 PM PST
19 Dwarf Shaman
Why is crushridge not actually connected after 8 hrs of time merging the servers, was there a problem that blizz did not address? As far as I know, the realm Is still dead and haven't seen 1 person from a different realm. Not sure how it is connected with 6 other realms unless they are having technical problems.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Why is crushridge not actually connected after 8 hrs of time merging the servers, was there a problem that blizz did not address? As far as I know, the realm Is still dead and haven't seen 1 person from a different realm. Not sure how it is connected with 6 other realms unless they are having technical problems.

Apparently according ot a twitter post they're "looking into it", but there is still no acknowledgement on the forums yet :( (I main on Crushridge, just can't post on any of my characters because they're not found)
90 Orc Hunter
Whirlwind and Emberstorm (and the Phoenix datacenter) have ceased to exist as of today (which probably explains the forum portrait shadowing last week -- keep an eye out when it happens to the NY datacenter). Every realm in the two battlegroups has found a new battlegroup home (i.e. Lightbringer = Cyclone, Uther = Vengeance, Moon Guard = Reckoning). I'd love to see a full list of the changes, even if it doesn't really matter much in the long run.

Oh, and The Forgotten Coast is now in the Ruin battlegroup (Chicago). Vashj, the only other Phoenix PvP realm that hasn't been connected yet, is in Bloodlust. {Vashj + Frostwolf or Ner'zhul?}

Farstriders is now on Bloodlust, unlike the other RP realms that were in Phoenix (they went to Cyclone and Reckoning). So, {Farstriders + Silver Hand} in the near future?

ALSO, RAVENHOLDT IS NOW IN SHADOWBURN (Chicago)!!! No word on The Venture Co. yet -- it's still in Nightfall (NY).

Looks like Blizzard has removed a pretty big hurdle in the realm connection process.

Speculation?

This appears to be true. I'm on Vengeance, a Los Angeles realm, and have been in LFD with players from Shu'halo (Phoenix) and Hyjal (Phoenix). They were not grouped with another player.

Updated http://wowpedia.org/US_realm_list_by_datacenter

If someone could punch in the IP addresses for the realms or drop them in here I'd be very grateful.
Edited by Zephinism on 12/17/2013 3:09 AM PST
90 Night Elf Druid
Wow Gorgonnash used to be a mostly Alliance based server when I was last playing on it. When did that change? O_O
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/11/2013 07:35 PMPosted by Tindomerel
and the people who come in here to complain that their realm has been ignored by the Blizz Gods and to "reconsider" their "mistake." I'm glad I'm in the first group :)

Passive aggressive insults really aren't needed, though, are they? =/

People are increasingly frustrated as they watch their low pop realms just sink lower and lower population-wise. You know it's bad when Trade Chat is completely silent for half an hour or longer at peak server times. Even the trolls are silent.

While I understand your frustration, here's a different viewpoint. Do you want to fight others for your quest mobs? Or fight them for rares? You don't know how good you just might have it.

Want to do your dailies? Well do it after midnight. Otherwise, you'll be fighting both your own faction and the other to get the few quest mobs there are. You think people form groups to help each other out? Think again. This game has fostered a self-absorbed, pretentious attitude among players and it's not getting remedied any time soon.

Want to level a new alt? How about fighting your own server and four OTHER servers for the same quest mobs.

The CRZ and merging is just a bad idea for several servers and I wish Blizzard would see this and change their plans.
90 Night Elf Druid

Speculation?
This certainly tends to confirm that the goal is to close down the Phoenix and New York data centers. This also explains why the realm connecting really hasn't addressed the lowest population servers in many cases. Connecting low population realms is only part of the reason for what Blizzard is doing with servers.

12/17/2013 06:03 AMPosted by Laraley

People are increasingly frustrated as they watch their low pop realms just sink lower and lower population-wise. You know it's bad when Trade Chat is completely silent for half an hour or longer at peak server times. Even the trolls are silent.

While I understand your frustration, here's a different viewpoint. Do you want to fight others for your quest mobs? Or fight them for rares? You don't know how good you just might have it.

Want to do your dailies? Well do it after midnight. Otherwise, you'll be fighting both your own faction and the other to get the few quest mobs there are. You think people form groups to help each other out? Think again. This game has fostered a self-absorbed, pretentious attitude among players and it's not getting remedied any time soon.

Want to level a new alt? How about fighting your own server and four OTHER servers for the same quest mobs.

The CRZ and merging is just a bad idea for several servers and I wish Blizzard would see this and change their plans.
How about being able to roll as many as 50 connected characters on your connected realms? The SUBSCRIBERS on unconnected realms are not able to roll any more than 11 characters that can transfer all in game exhangeable mats between them.
90 Blood Elf Priest
How about being able to roll as many as 50 connected characters on your connected realms? The SUBSCRIBERS on unconnected realms are not able to roll any more than 11 characters that can transfer all in game exhangeable mats between them.

You say that assuming everyone wants that many alts. Not everyone does.

My point is that the really low populated servers should be merged with other low populated servers; (not all together, but mix/match) and leave out CRZ and merging for High populated servers.
90 Night Elf Druid
12/17/2013 06:18 AMPosted by Laraley

You say that assuming everyone wants that many alts. Not everyone does.

My point is that the really low populated servers should be merged with other low populated servers; (not all together, but mix/match) and leave out CRZ and merging for High populated servers.
It's not a question of whether you want more than 11 connected characters available to you. The issue is whether it's available to only part of the subscriber base and not the whole subscriber base. Blizzard has created a new feature which is only available to part of the player base. That's really not acceptable.

You must have figured out by now that what Blizzard is doing with connected realms has only in part to do with the problems of low population realms. I would imagine a company goal is to close down the Phoenix and New York data centers by the end of the year for cost cutting purposes. I would assume that they will get to connecting more realms after the holidays but it's not the first priority.
This is total crap! I have been playing on Anvilmar since day 1 (8 yrs) A WEST COAST REALM and now I log on after this connection crap and I am on some east coast server? WTF I live on the West Coast not the East Coast and if I wanted to play on a server that is 3 hours ahead of mine I would! I want to know WHY Anvilmar was changed and how do I get back to my West Coast server???

Anvilmar's hardware, regardless of whatever timezone it was, has been in the New York datacenter for years, and now it's in Chicago. It was never physically on the West Coast to start with.
Edited by Crowlight on 12/17/2013 6:56 AM PST
12/17/2013 06:03 AMPosted by Laraley

The objective of a massively multiplayer game is for massive numbers of players to be involved. The connection process is meant to make that population real and tangible to all players. I agree that mob-tapping and quest objectives are a problem that gets aggravated by a higher population, but that's a quest design problem, and it's up to the quest team to find solutions to that (which Blizzard has acknowledged, and we'll see what they do with that in WoD).

I don't think anything is gained by letting poor quest design dictate that the game shouldn't be massively populated. That's akin to saying "well, I can't turn my steering wheel left anymore, so I'll just always make right turns from now on."
90 Human Death Knight

It was never a west coast server. It was in the New York datacenter, east coast, but it was just set to Pacific time. They moved it to the Chicago datacenter in preparation for it's Jan 3 connection to Undermine, and apparently changed it's time to Eastern to match Undermine.
All realms that get connected (and most will be) have to have the same time as the other realms they're connected to, so at least 1 of the realms getting connected will get a time change.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]