Connected Realms Update - 12/19

(Locked)

90 Troll Hunter
when will the oceanic realms be connected? apart from frostmourne, most are dead quiet. join the rest together then give free transfers off frostmourne please
100 Human Priest
eh, I'm from an Oceanic server that will probably be connected in the future but I'm just going to wait until they are done with all the realms much, much worse off than mine before I start whinging and crying on the forums.

When I look at the people here asking for a connection from realms like Antonidas and the Scryers and I see 20+ realms in a worse shape with no connection announced either I can only think 'SELFISH'.

I don't think it's as much a matter of being selfish as it's merely a failure to recognize triage. You manage the realms that are in the worst shape first, and if that means connecting them to healthier realms or rounding up a bunch of low-pop realms to make a single healthy community, then that's the solution and there's an order for what realms need the help first. The truth of the matter is that the RP/RP-PVP realms, aside from being a very, very minor population compared to the scores of PVE/PVP servers out there, are in better shape and don't need connection as severely.

If Blizzard can't do more than six connections at a time, and can't do connections more frequently either because of the prepwork involved, or patch implementations, or bugs that need investigation, or folks being on holiday, then accusing them of neglect just because your realm wasn't picked is just a waste of effort.
90 Pandaren Shaman
OK, Blizzard! You win. Uncle! I give up! I surrender!

Having received news or hearing more and more stories that mid-population servers will not be part of the connected realms, and because of the Alliance population Mok'Nathal falls under this category, I am finally going to take my best toon off the server and pay to move a high population server for the chance to raid and participate in a better AH economy, in ways that are currently near-impossible on a realm like Mok'Nathal with a low Horde population and terrible AH economy. Mok is a great server if you play Alliance, there are plenty of players. But I am Horde and I have my own level 25 guild on Mok that I had to take my hunter- which is my best toon- out of to move. I think there should have been another way for people on medium population servers to have better chances to raid, but since the connections only apply to low population servers that is not going to happen.

It is not only Mok who will not see a connection from what I have been hearing, it is a lot of mid-population realms who are getting the shaft, and I think that is terrible. And I wish I did not have to move my hunter in order to raid and do some of the things I want to do that I am not able to right now. but I want some of those achievements for Siege during THIS tier of content, not waiting for 6.0 to be applied. But that aside, this whole connection deal only seems to benefit specific realms classified as "low population". There appears to be no intention to balance servers with lopsided populations of one faction or another.

Blizz-- if you're not going to connect all low and medium population realms or realms that suffer from a faction imbalance the least you could do is go lax on that rule that prevents people from doing normal or heroic raids unless they are on the same server.
Edited by Treedragon on 12/17/2013 10:47 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Rogue
12/17/2013 10:16 PMPosted by Treedragon
It is not only Mok who will not see a connection from what I have been hearing, it is a lot of mid-population realms who are getting the shaft, and I think that is terrible.

BLIZZARD. IS. NOT. DONE. WITH. CONNECTIONS. YET.

You have no idea whether or not Mok'Nathal will be connected or not. You just don't. There have been ZERO signs from Blizzard from what I've seen where they've decided "Oh, let's just intentionally not connect Mok'Nathal, just because." You just want an excuse to transfer and blame your raiding problems on Blizzard publicly.

Blizzard has already connected plenty of "medium population" realms. They have. Ever hear of Whisperwind? Aggramar? Those realms have never been low pop. Guess what? They got connections. Mok'Nathal will too.

Go ahead and spend the money. It's an incredibly short-sited thing to do, however.
Edited by Disclosure on 12/18/2013 2:32 AM PST
100 Night Elf Warrior
No selfishness here at all. Just simply questioning why Blizz hasn't had a single RP, RP-PvP, or Oceanic realm in any of their line-ups. They had Hellscream in one of the recent connections I believe and last I checked on one or two realm population sites, Hellscream had more players on it than some of the RP, RP-PvP and Oceanic realms that have been ignored.

http://wow.realmpop.com/us-hellscream.html vs. http://wow.realmpop.com/us-the-scryers.html

Now tell me how is that fair. There are RP, RP-PvP, and Oceanic realms that are in worse shape than some of PvE realms they have chosen.

And Crowlight, you keep talking about triage which is all fine, but you still haven't answered what I asked in the last connection realm, what happens to the patients you neglect too long?

I'll tell you, they become as bad as the patients you put priority on to begin with, and you'll have to put more resources into getting them healthy again.

As I've stated many times, I don't want to see all the RP, RP-PvP, and Oceanic realms right away, just Blizz tossing one of them into the connection line-up here and there to show the players on those realms they matter too. Instead we see nothing being done at the moment to improve their situation. If Blizz wants to put priority on PvE and PvP realms, then at the very least have some sort of deal where transfers to the 3 realm types they aren't working on are discounted or something. It might not be the best solution, but it my help keep them from getting worse while we wait for Blizz to get around to us.
100 Night Elf Druid
eh, I'm from an Oceanic server that will probably be connected in the future but I'm just going to wait until they are done with all the realms much, much worse off than mine before I start whinging and crying on the forums.

When I look at the people here asking for a connection from realms like Antonidas and the Scryers and I see 20+ realms in a worse shape with no connection announced either I can only think 'SELFISH'.
Your comment is patently silly. Blizzard is not the Salvation Army. We're not in line to get hand outs. We are in a business transaction with a for profit company.

Blizzard's stated goal for connecting realms is to connect low population realms. This is demonstrably not true. They are connecting low and medium population realms. The purpose seems to be more related to reducing their number of data centers. Seriously, does Blizzard think we are blind? Incapable of figuring things out? They are really insulting our intelligence in this situation. It would help defuse the frustration subscribers are having if the company would just be up front with us.
Edited by Stellan on 12/18/2013 6:20 AM PST
90 Pandaren Shaman
Your comment is patently silly. Blizzard is not the Salvation Army. We're not in line to get hand outs. We are in a business transaction with a for profit company.

Blizzard's stated goal for connecting realms is to connect low population realms. This is demonstrably not true. They are connecting low and medium population realms. The purpose seems to be more related to reducing their number of data centers. Seriously, does Blizzard think we are blind? Incapable of figuring things out? They are really insulting our intelligence in this situation. It would help defuse the frustration subscribers are having if the company would just be up front with us.

I would most certainly agree with that assessment.

But on that note: To me the more sensible thing would have been to allow people from low pop servers to at least join medium servers for free which would build the populations of the medium pop servers a little bit at least. They could take their friends, they could transfer their guilds, etc. And then when the low pops are empty, simply shut them down and be done with it. Direct new players to roll on medium pop servers, etc.

They would lose some revenue on transfers but overall they would be able to meet the objective of reduced data centers just like you mentioned.

It is not only Mok who will not see a connection from what I have been hearing, it is a lot of mid-population realms who are getting the shaft, and I think that is terrible.

BLIZZARD. IS. NOT. DONE. WITH. CONNECTIONS. YET.

You have no idea whether or not Mok'Nathal will be connected or not. You just don't. There have been ZERO signs from Blizzard from what I've seen where they've decided "Oh, let's just intentionally not connect Mok'Nathal, just because." You just want an excuse to transfer and blame your raiding problems on Blizzard publicly.

Blizzard has already connected plenty of "medium population" realms. They have. Ever hear of Whisperwind? Aggramar? Those realms have never been low pop. Guess what? They got connections. Mok'Nathal will too.

Go ahead and spend the money. It's an incredibly short-sited thing to do, however.

Say whatever you want. To me there is no way to get into serious raiding on the present tier of content if you are on a medium population realm with almost no Horde. (or no Alliance if you're on a server with the opposite reality). And I want to get my 14/14 and my related achievements while this patch is live. If doing it on Mok is no longer possible, nor ever will be, then I need to suck it up, pay for a toon transfer and at least do it on one toon. As I'm sure you know, achievements like "Ahead of the Curve" disappear with the next major patch or xpac just as "Darkspear Revolutionary/Hordebreaker" and "Eternally in the Vale" have done.

Last night was Tuesday night - reset night - and there were a total of 20 people in Orgrimmar, Shrine of Two Moons and Timeless Isle - it peaks as high as about 30 between those places. And Timeless is CROSS REALM so 8 people on that island means 8 people across multiple realms sharing that zone.

But everyone on the server is either Alliance or most of the horde have already left the server. They have transferred to servers like Darrowmere, WymrestAccord, Area52, etc. Guilds have left the server, shall I go on? My comments have been made by other people seeing similar situations on other servers. But this is a clear business move, not about increasing population or settling faction imbalance.

And making gold on Mok is becoming extremely hard to do. Unless you have something of real high demand you aren't going to make any gold. It takes mere seconds to scan AH for the 5000 items in AH on Mok. It took me considerably longer to scan AH on the high pop server I checked out for the tens of thousands of items on that server's AH. People are selling things on these high pop realms you can't give away on a dead one. My toon has a Mechano-Hog I can't even sell to get back my gold for mats alone on Mok'Nathal. They still sell quite well on high pop servers from what I've seen. (It's not hard to roll an orc as a "scout toon" to check out Org on these servers...) I may not get the 20k I want but I'm confident I'll still get back a little better than what I got in it, so at least I'll get my invested gold back.

And they have never made any statement I have read saying they are connecting medium population realms, only the word "low" is the one word I've seen used. People are assuming mid population realms are part of the plan. Nor is anyone posting blue text to speak to this point, and they won't because there is nothing for them to post about on this. Of COURSE connections aren't done yet. And there are a good 2-300 servers I'm sure. At 5 connections per week, or every other week in some cases, they MAY be done before WoD comes out, they may not. There's also still European, Oceanic, etc. to do too. But guess what, WoD will come out next spring or summer or whenever the release is... and devs will still be connecting 4-5 sets of realms per week!

If there are 250 realms, and you do 5 sets per week, that takes 50 weeks to complete all connections - almost a year. We had 2 weeks skipped, one for Blizzcon and another last week. So there are probably at least 40 weeks worth of connections left IF no more weeks are skipped. And I'm sure there will be more skipped weeks for applying patches or other reasons. So it will take them well over a year to complete all this easily. WoD will be out by then but not all realm connections will be done, that's become quite clear to me.

I am at least thankful we can now mail account-bound items cross server. So now I have rolled new toons on the high pop realm I have been scouting out. I'm looking forward to getting up to level 15 on my first toon on that server today to see how dungeon queues are as opposed to Mok. And when I transfer my hunter- looking forward to 20-30 minute queue times that I've heard about instead of an hour.

By the time Blizzard finally decides to do something, and IF they do, it will be far too late to fix the situation. It already is too late on Mok. Nobody plays on that server anymore, at least not on Horde. A lot of people came back for the Christmas event Monday but by evening the server was back to it's dead self again. Sure people came back for 5.4 but a month later were all gone again. When there's 30 people on at peak times between Org, Shrine, and Timeless combined (and Timeless is a CRZ meaning other low-pop realms share with us) we're truly SOL for any Horde population. And it's widely becoming whispered now Mok is one of the servers who will not see a connection, or not any time soon if at all - the server is medium because of the Alliance population. I never said Mok was being singled out- it's one of the servers which is not going to be connected. I don't know which others are also going to be skipped. When has Blizzard ever flat out said they are going to address faction imbalance? Show me the blue text, and show me something posted in blue text within the last 30 days about this, or I rest my case.

Alliance is the more popular of the two factions overall from what I've seen on some of the sites which track server populations, and I get that. But it's gotten really bad and at this point I doubt a connection is going to help much of anything at all. It's simple: Dead server + Dead server = slightly bigger dead server. And I've seen the comments by people from other servers who say the same things for their servers as well.

OK, that's TL;DR as it is.
Edited by Treedragon on 12/18/2013 7:31 AM PST
100 Human Priest
Treedragon: You're over-reacting. Be patient. Your time will come.

I would add that if you feel really strongly about taking your main off Mok'nathal now so you can start raiding now, then definitely do so. There's no reason to wait if you've got the resources to do it and if you've got a strong desire to do the content as close to fresh as possible.

Just be sure that you own that decision. No one is forcing you to do this. Blizzard promised that the realms would get connected but made no promises as to when, so Mok'nathal is going to get connected eventually but it's clearly not going to happen before January.

What I'm afraid of is the following scenario:

Player: My realm Deadwind Pass hasn't been connected yet! I'm upset!
Blizzard: *continues connecting realms*
Player: F you Blizz! I'm transferring to Queuebringer so I can raid!
Player: *transfers from Deadwind Pass to Queuebringer*
Blizzard: Good news everyone! Deadwind Pass is getting connected to GoodRaidingRealm!
Player: F YOU BLIZZ I JUST TRANSFERRED GIVE REFUND NAO

Owning the decision means admitting that you made the choice to transfer when Blizzard had a solution in the pipe. No one owes you anything for a decision you made fully knowledgeable of the possible outcomes.
90 Pandaren Shaman
12/18/2013 09:11 AMPosted by Crowlight
Treedragon: You're over-reacting. Be patient. Your time will come.

I would add that if you feel really strongly about taking your main off Mok'nathal now so you can start raiding now, then definitely do so. There's no reason to wait if you've got the resources to do it and if you've got a strong desire to do the content as close to fresh as possible.

Just be sure that you own that decision. No one is forcing you to do this. Blizzard promised that the realms would get connected but made no promises as to when, so Mok'nathal is going to get connected eventually but it's clearly not going to happen before January.

What I'm afraid of is the following scenario:

Player: My realm Deadwind Pass hasn't been connected yet! I'm upset!
Blizzard: *continues connecting realms*
Player: F you Blizz! I'm transferring to Queuebringer so I can raid!
Player: *transfers from Deadwind Pass to Queuebringer*
Blizzard: Good news everyone! Deadwind Pass is getting connected to GoodRaidingRealm!
Player: F YOU BLIZZ I JUST TRANSFERRED GIVE REFUND NAO

Owning the decision means admitting that you made the choice to transfer when Blizzard had a solution in the pipe. No one owes you anything for a decision you made fully knowledgeable of the possible outcomes.

ROFL! Don't think that hasn't crossed my mind. But my luck would be I don't xfer and then WoD comes out next Spring or Summer and Mok still isn't connected. Sadly there will not be an extension to still get "Ahead of the Curve" for example. On the other hand, watch- I transfer this weekend when I get paid THEN they finally decide to connect Mok. So I almost feel like a catch 22 on this.

My original hope was they connect Mok, there are more players, AH gets a bit better then I can create new toons on the adjoined servers to put into my level 25 guild on Mok. But that is clearly not going to be possible. Instead I have to take my best toon off the server to a high pop if I actually want to raid, instead of that toon's achieves benefiting my already-established 25 guild.

Once again though- I've only seen the words "low population" used in any blue text posts I've seen about connections, NOT "medium population". Everyone is ASSUMING this included medium population but no one seems to be linking me a blue post that mentions this; and a recent one. I've also read nothing by Blizz that states they will do anything to balance out realms with lopsided factions.

Yeah, I'd "whizz away" $35 to transfer my hunter with bank guild (to supply my new toons on the new server). Luckily transferring from that new server back to Mok if I REALLY wanted to would be free since the new server is a FULL one. :-)

To address your last statement: If Blizz was on trial for their plans to connect Mok'Nathal, and if that were a punishable crime, and all people had were the blue posts I've already read that made no mention of medium population realms and no mention that balancing faction population was part of the plan, and I was the judge on the case? I'd throw the case out of court and cite the plaintiffs with contempt for wasting the court's time! lol!
Edited by Treedragon on 12/18/2013 10:00 AM PST
100 Goblin Shaman
And they have never made any statement I have read saying they are connecting medium population realms, only the word "low" is the one word I've seen used. People are assuming mid population realms are part of the plan.

And you are assuming that medium pop servers aren't. Heck, I've been somewhat patient when it comes to Staghelm (okay, maybe the cheerleading thing a few weeks ago was a little silly). Stag, literally, just hit low pop this week.

All I'm saying is "Don't panic".
Edited by Jujubiju on 12/18/2013 11:42 AM PST
100 Human Mage

Bliz has to do the lower pop's first; then they'll get to the medium pop servers. Lower pops are a bigger priority.

Well, just one point. They haven't only done low pop. There is no real order to the way they are doing it, it just a mixture of medium and low pop that they've decided makes sense. So a bit of a crap-shoot for both low and medium pop realms.

Actually it looked like there was/is a bit of a predictability and that is/was closing the NY and Phoenix data centers, so those realms in those data centers gained some priority.
100 Goblin Shaman
Fair enough. Not a Low pop vs High pop priority though.

Deleted that line.
90 Goblin Hunter
I dread the day my realm shows up on one of these lists.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]