Connected Realms Update - 12/19

(Locked)

90 Pandaren Monk
Norgannon? Never heard of it...

Oh well. I can have more alts for this guild now! :D
90 Orc Hunter
Just curious...
Has Gilneas been connected, or put on a list?
I haven't paid much attention, sorry.

wowpedia.org/Connected_Realms
12/19/2013 06:08 PMPosted by Aerill
None of the connections have been for faction balance. It's all about overall realm population.

lol

The lowest pop realms, RP realms, are untouched. They aren't doing anything to improve our experience. They are lowering overhead costs, and deliberately leaving the realms most in needing--- unconnected. The clear intent is to drag us out long enough to cause some to transfer (at $25 PER TOON!!!) as a cash-grab.

Never for one second think that they are doing anything to benefit us unless it also benefits THEM at least as much.

Please provide data demonstrating that RP realms are lower population than all other realms.
90 Human Mage
The post has been updated to include the next scheduled time for the Crushridge connection and the Nazgrel connection (for those who have been asking) will be in a batch sometime after the third of January batch has completed. As always, these plans could change at any time depending on any additional work needed to successfully complete the connections.

Any clues on Antonidas?
90 Night Elf Druid
12/19/2013 08:08 PMPosted by Crowlight

lol

The lowest pop realms, RP realms, are untouched. They aren't doing anything to improve our experience. They are lowering overhead costs, and deliberately leaving the realms most in needing--- unconnected. The clear intent is to drag us out long enough to cause some to transfer (at $25 PER TOON!!!) as a cash-grab.

Never for one second think that they are doing anything to benefit us unless it also benefits THEM at least as much.

Please provide data demonstrating that RP realms are lower population than all other realms.
RP realms are not the lowest population servers but certainly several are down at the bottom. http://wow.realmpop.com/us.html

But then Blizzard has not been connecting realms based on the lowest population servers being connected first. That is one thing that is abundantly clear. As has been pointed out elsewhere, a primary purpose of the realm connections appears to be to close one or more of the data centers. Phoenix is, in fact, gone and it appears that New York will go next.

If you look at the list, the lowest population server still to be connected is Jaedenar. I don't recall seeing it on the up and coming realm connection list.
90 Orc Hunter
Someone made this :

http://everynothing.net/connectedrealms.html

Extremely useful for seeing realm connections. Gathers connections based on auction house api.
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Someone made this :

Extremely useful for seeing realm connections. Gathers connections based on auction house api.

This is awesome. Kudos to whoever put that together.
90 Human Death Knight
RP and Oceanic and others have never been the lowest pop and still aren't, but there are now fewer and fewer other realms with less pop than them. So even tho Blizz isn't working from the bottom of the list up, they will still eventually get to them all.

is by the guy that does Realmpop, Underminejournal, and Transmog Fashion.
As mentioned, it uses the auction house api info to see who's really connected to who and doesn't have to be manually updated after every batch of connections.
90 Human Death Knight

RP realms are not the lowest population servers but certainly several are down at the bottom. http://wow.realmpop.com/us.html

But then Blizzard has not been connecting realms based on the lowest population servers being connected first. That is one thing that is abundantly clear. As has been pointed out elsewhere, a primary purpose of the realm connections appears to be to close one or more of the data centers. Phoenix is, in fact, gone and it appears that New York will go next.

If you look at the list, the lowest population server still to be connected is Jaedenar. I don't recall seeing it on the up and coming realm connection list.

Who says the Phoenix dc is already gone? I just did a traceroute to several of the realms that haven't been connected yet, and they're still in Phoenix. Only 12 of 38 realms in Phoenix have been connected to and moved to LA so far, 5 more scheduled soon, so there are still 21+5 left there.
Edited by Weekender on 12/20/2013 9:35 AM PST
90 Draenei Mage
I'm still hoping that you're not changing my time zone.

I'll be all sorts of peeved.
90 Night Elf Druid

Who says the Phoenix dc is already gone? I just did a traceroute to several of the realms that haven't been connected yet, and they're still in Phoenix. Only 12 of 38 realms in Phoenix have been connected to and moved to LA so far, 5 more scheduled soon, so there are still 21+5 left there.

http://wowpedia.org/US_realm_list_by_datacenter

"Phoenix Datacenter

As of Monday 16th of December 2013 this Datacenter is no longer live!
When doing a traceroute to servers in Phoenix, please trace to the following IP address:
63.241.138.161"
90 Human Death Knight

"Phoenix Datacenter

When doing a traceroute to servers in Phoenix, please trace to the following IP address:
63.241.138.161"

Who wrote that? They're wrong.
I just now did several more traceroutes to more of the realms still in the Phoenix datacenter.
They are very clearly still in the Phoenix datacenter.

It's very easy to log into any of the realms there that haven't been connected, get the IP address, trace route that IP, and read the 2-3 hops before it hits the datacenter and times out. Things like "phmaz.ip.att.net" for Phoenix AZ, and "phx1.attens.net" for Phoenix.
Traceroutes to any of the other datacenters show similar abbreviations for LA, CHI, and NY, so it's easy to see exactly where the datacenter is.
90 Draenei Shaman
Crossing my fingers for Skywall + Velen/Eonar.
90 Draenei Warrior
What about high population realms? We were told connected realms would eliminate our 90 minute queue times. Haven't seen a single update since that statement.
90 Human Paladin
Two things:

(1) source, as I've not read that from anyone in a position to know (then again there have been many postings so who knows)

and

(2) Why would it seem logical for connections between low and medium population servers to have any immediate effect on high population servers? To be sure, as the low/med connected servers become more attractive, there may well be a migration from the high to the low. But it seems most unlikey to happen overnight.
90 Orc Hunter
What about high population realms? We were told connected realms would eliminate our 90 minute queue times. Haven't seen a single update since that statement.

Really? By who?

I've seen the exact opposite posted on EU realms.
85 Dwarf Rogue

"Phoenix Datacenter

63.241.138.161"

I just now did several more traceroutes to more of the realms still in the Phoenix datacenter.

It's very easy to log into any of the realms there that haven't been connected, get the IP address, trace route that IP, and read the 2-3 hops before it hits the datacenter and times out. Things like "phmaz.ip.att.net" for Phoenix AZ, and "phx1.attens.net" for Phoenix.
Traceroutes to any of the other datacenters show similar abbreviations for LA, CHI, and NY, so it's easy to see exactly where the datacenter is.

All you have to do is watch Moonguard. Moonguard is one of the largest realms in the Phoenix data farm. If Moonguard ever got moved to California, you know the Moonguardians would be all over the forums asking what happened.
90 Orc Hunter

All you have to do is watch Moonguard. Moonguard is one of the largest realms in the Phoenix data farm. If Moonguard ever got moved to California, you know the Moonguardians would be all over the forums asking what happened.

What, like here?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10948484778
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]