Enchanted fey dragon for gold

100 Human Warrior
It was probably inevitable - today for the first time I saw someone trying to sell the enchanted fey dragon mount in-game, in trade chat, for gold.

I'd like to confirm my suspicion that this is a prohibited and/or "unsupported" transaction, that store mounts like this can not be sold in-game for gold.

The seller has been the same level 81. First the price is 10k, then 15k, then back to 10k. They don't respond in trade chat, of course.

I got an unsolicited whisper saying the deal was I give 5k gold, they "give" me the code, then the balance.

Seems like a low amount for a new mount, not that I think it's any kind of "deal" - makes it smell more like a scam. Could be a hacked account, too.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
It's against the rules and can result in account closure.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
That's my understanding, too, Dia. But you try to say that in trade chat so people don't get robbed and you get insulted for saying so - to be expected, I guess.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Troll Rogue
It's a scam more then a "good deal", and warning is in this sticky.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9165987111

Most time the card charge is disputed after the trade, the buyer of the mount has it vanish, and they are also out the gold to for participating in an 'unsupported transaction'.

Right click all such sale pitches and report it as spam.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
There is a current scam where a stolen/unauthorized credit card is used to purchase the mount.

The "owner" then sells the mount in-game for gold. 3 days later, when the card is flagged as stolen or unauthorized, the mount is taken back by Blizzard.

So you lose gold AND the mount.

Don't do it, and report the scammer.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
I reported the player as "cheating." But he's been there all day doing it.

Someone was trying to say it was legit because they had bought one from the seller. If they did, it's probably the bad credit card, so they'll end up losing it eventually.

I'd never deal with one of these obvious scammers.
Edited by Altimax on 12/12/2013 4:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
I reported the player as "cheating." But he's been there all day doing it.

Someone was trying to say it was legit because they had bought one from the seller. If they did, it's probably the bad credit card, so they'll end up losing it eventually.

I'd never deal with one of these obvious scammers.

Report it as spamming. The gold sellers are the ones that do this. Also, it isn't just unsupported, it is flat out against the rules. Even if it were legit (not a stolen credit card), it is against the ToU to sell items like that for gold.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
12/12/2013 05:08 PMPosted by Vralok
Even if it were legit (not a stolen credit card), it is against the ToU to sell items like that for gold.

I wish there was a way for people to use their real money to buy these items and then safely sell them to me for my in-game gold (like how the guardian cub works).

There's a ton of stuff I'd love to have, but I will simply never pay more than my sub fee for this or any other game.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warrior
01/16/2014 06:04 PMPosted by Wylo
I wish there was a way for people to use their real money to buy these items and then safely sell them to me for my in-game gold

But... that's not how the World of Warcraft was intended.

Gold acquisition is meant to be a result of in game effort, as it is used in many ways to affect performance of your characters.

Aside from the Guardian Cub, there is not any other intended way for gold to cross over into real world valuation, legitimately.

They did it with the Cub as an experiment, knowing that eventually, saturation of the marketplace would diminish its effectiveness as a way to infuse real world money into the gold market.

Seeing that they haven't continued with items like this, it's clear that the experiment wasn't terribly successful, and they decided not to change the dynamics of the in game economy.

The majority of items that Blizzard sells for real world money that exist in game are cosmetic only. Armor skins, mount skins, etc -

This preserves the core concepts behind the gameplay and economy.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
01/16/2014 06:11 PMPosted by Brugh

But... that's not how the World of Warcraft was intended.

Gold acquisition is meant to be a result of in game effort, as it is used in many ways to affect performance of your characters.

Gold barely affects performance. It can be used to give some people a slight edge in item level, but this is usually only remotely significant right at the beginning of an expansion, and who really cares? The best gear comes from the most difficult raiding and pvp, as it should be - gold makes no difference here.

If you're implying that people "buying" gold by selling these store items to players like me would unbalance the game by then spending that gold on items on the BMAH or the normal AH, I don't agree. I think any effect would be negligible.

Furthermore, the richest people in the game are not rich because they are good players, they are rich because they use mods to play the AH, or they're more like me and they simply play a lot.

Why not bolster Blizzard's coffers (and I imagine the in-game economy as well) by making more store items in-game sellable?

and

The majority of items that Blizzard sells for real world money that exist in game are cosmetic only. Armor skins, mount skins, etc -

This preserves the core concepts behind the gameplay and economy.

This is laughable. You think reserving items for players who are willing to spend real world money preserves core concepts of gameplay and economy? I've never met someone who thought it was cool, let alone a core concept, for an MMO to make VERY desirable items only available by cash - at best it's considered an allowable evil by most veteran players (since sale of the items indirectly benefits the rest of us by promoting maintenance and development of the game). I work my butt off to collect mounts and the mount achievement rewards are repeatedly some of the most /yawn worthy mounts in the game, but for cash Bliz will offer the best they have. Seriously, your statement is laughable.
Edited by Wylo on 1/16/2014 7:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
01/16/2014 07:44 PMPosted by Wylo
by making more store items in-game sellable?

Pay to win? - no thanks.

One of the best parts of this game is earning gear. Some of us still hold that sense of achievement dearly, and to have people get the same gear by purchase would just destroy it. You'd see a lot of long term players walk away.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
Seriously, your statement is laughable.

Big different between mounts/pets and buying gear that will allow a player to progress forward instead of earning it like everyone else did.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
ou think reserving items for players who are willing to spend real world money preserves core concepts of gameplay and economy?

No, Blizzard feels it so and have stated it time and time again.

Being able to purchase gear to progress with goes against the core game play.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
You make it sound like people who are rich in the game now, and already buy nice gear on the BMAH or AH, are doing it by noble means. They're not.

They use mods to manipulate the market, they use bots to farm loot, etc.

The only remotely impressive gear that can be bought with gold is what shows up on the BMAH, so it seems you should be upset about that instead?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
01/16/2014 07:55 PMPosted by Ephaera

Being able to purchase gear to progress with goes against the core game play.

Yeah, your problem is with the BMAH, which has been out for a while.

I want to be able to buy the cool cosmetic store mounts and pets with in-game gold, that's all.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
You make it sound like people who are rich in the game now, and already buy nice gear on the BMAH or AH, are doing it by noble means. They're not.

They use mods to manipulate the market, they use bots to farm loot, etc.

Not everyone who is good at making gold needs mods, or bots though.

As for the BMAH, It's gold, and that has to be earned somehow. It's still a far cry from paying real cash for gear.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
01/16/2014 07:59 PMPosted by Wylo
I want to be able to buy the cool cosmetic store mounts and pets with in-game gold, that's all.

As of now, Blizzard says No, it ain't gonna happen. This is not the place to discuss changes to the game. The devs and powers that be do not come here for player input, feedback or suggestions.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]