Barrage or Glaive Toss?

90 Troll Druid
Looking at the numbers and going with the middle ground for weapon damage range, Barrage seems to be 10 or 15k more damage, at least on the primary target and most boss fights are mostly single target. That said, I've been told Glaive Toss is where it's at and almost every hunter I've seen in current raid environments used Glaive Toss.

Opinions?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I use barrage because there's so many AOE fights in SoO.

My dps takes a hit with glaive toss.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I like Glaive Toss, but Barrage was fun, too. Glaive Toss is easier to control what you hit, but Barrage can hit a lot more stuff if you don't care about that (Barrage hits a cone, Glaive Toss hits your target and everything on the way to and from it). Glaive Toss is also instant (Barrage is channeled) and available twice as often for half the cost.
Edited by Nuline on 12/13/2013 12:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
92 Night Elf Hunter
Glaive is more linear, hitting anything in it's path so if nothing between you and the target it will only hit just the target and come back missing any targe that are behind or possibly beside it.

Barrage has a better spread hitting targets in it's cone even if they are side by side. Issue with barrage is you may hit things close by you didn't want. Friend kept drawing in extra mobs because of a stray shot from barrage.

Over all it will depend on if you want control with less AoE or more AoE damage but lack of shot control.
Edited by Fealia on 12/13/2013 12:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
Barrage is also worse in a single target only fight.

Basically just switch to whichever one you need for each fight.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter

This. Barrage is only worth it if the full channeled effect can hit at least like 4-5 targets at the same time (when out of RF, while RF is up it is more worth it). Since you need to also factor in the GCD cost, focus cost, and damage done per use/GCD.

But generally, for a lot of SoO fights barrage is great. But on ones like malk and jugg, not so much.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Seriously?

Barrage for aoe.

Glaives for single target.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
If you are concerned with your dps on trash mobs, then do barrage. If you only look at your dps for a boss fight, then Glaive is better IMO. In SoO, not many boss fights involve aoe, I'm thinking the Sha, Galawhatever under the two towers, Dark Shaman with the adds, and the Spoils. The rest are mostly single target fights.

Although barrage combined with the Leg. cloak effect must be quite something lol
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
Powershot all the way if you're either Survival or Marksman, Glaiven Toss if Beast Mastery.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Powershot all the way if you're either Survival or Marksman, Glaiven Toss if Beast Mastery.

Wrong, Powershot is a PvP talent AFAIK while I know for certain that Glaive is the single target option and Barrage is the option for fights where you really need to hit a large group of mobs. Things like Powershot delaying auto shots and what not doesn't help.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
12/13/2013 11:04 PMPosted by Aliensanta

Wrong, Powershot is a PvP talent AFAIK while I know for certain that Glaive is the single target option and Barrage is the option for fights where you really need to hit a large group of mobs. Things like Powershot delaying auto shots and what not doesn't help.

You are wrong, Powershot can be used for both PvE and PvP, Glaiven Toss is more for PvP due to the slow effect it causes and Glaiven toss for single target in PvE?? You serious??, learn your class, son.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Go with what gives you the best numbers. Sim it at femaledwarf.com - making sure to change the latency numbers to your actual numbers - and then go try it in LFR or flex to see what you think.

Haven't checked it in a while, but barrage was supposed to be higher numbers for me in ToT, but due to my play style, glaive toss still gave me more. It also pulled random trash mobs with barrage which was annoying. I did try barrage for Galakras, but it was lower dps for me, too.

Glaive toss can crit, and if you pick the right targets, you can hit a lot of mobs in between. (Like focusing the Tidal Shaman in Galakras when it's running down, and misdirecting it and everything in-between to your tank.)

For those saying to use Power shot in a raiding situation, when do they use it? (Always click on a person's profile to see what they're running, content-wise.) I used it once on the Galakras mobs and it knocked them back so badly that it was ridiculous. (I'm not on tower team.) The tank and melee couldn't hit the mobs until our tank gathered them again, so it was a dps loss for everyone. I immediately apologized, said I was trying something new but would switch back to glaives, and then was nerfed on my dps the rest of the fight because I couldn't use it for fear it would knock them back again.

Perhaps barrage and power shot work for others, but I find the quickness of the glaive toss, coupled with potential crits and ease of fitting into my rotation, best for me. Good luck!
Edited by Talacocheta on 12/14/2013 5:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
Barrage is currently outperforming Glaive Toss even on single target fights IF you are at or near heroic raid gearing levels. If you aren't at that point, Glaives will always be your go to unless you are in a fight with 4+ targets (Dark Shamans, Spoils, Galakras, Norushen).
Edited by Alerin on 12/14/2013 6:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
34 Blood Elf Paladin

When I am not lazy this, otherwise my default is GT since I don't want to be that guy who accidentally pulls the whole room.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter

You're a smart guy, unlike Aliensanta.

You know your class very good, Glaiven Toss is perfect for PvP and the cooldown beats all the others and you can slow your targets everytime and at the same time hits all targets in it's way and twice the power if both Glaivens get together.

Powershot is Beautiful in both PvP and PvE, not only it hits very good in PvE but in PvP you can push your enemies away from you or down the hole in Eye Of The Storm, you can also use Explosive Trap's Glyph.

Barrage is just a joke, don't like it at all, its weak.

Best Option: Glaiven Toss for PvP if BEAST MASTERY and Powershot for PvE/PvP if SURVIVAL.

Why din't I say Marksman? not my type, Marksman is for weaklings.

End of the follow up of this forum thread, leave your comments below.

Farewell, Azerothians.

You might want to learn your class a bit better before you run around insulting people. There are a multitude of reasons why Power Shot is awful in PvE and Barrage is preferred in certain encounters. The knockback is a huge drawback in most encounters. A negligible gain to your own DPS (which is debatable in the first place) isn't worth knocking targets out of melee range, spreading them out and otherwise destroying other players DPS/tanking.

Barrage is preferred on some encounters because it's incredibly easy to get it to hit every target in an encounter area, regardless of how spread out they are. This just isn't possible with Gaive/Power. In the few fights where targets are grouped up, but want to be burst down quickly with AE/Cleave (read: Imersius, Sha, Galakras, Spoils) the mobs aren't immune to knockback, which makes power shot useless.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

This right here, folks, is why you never take advice from an LFR hero that has never even stepped foot into regular or heroic raids.

I'm sure in LFR you are able to push a whopping 1k dps with your choice of powershot but it still remains the worst pve talent of the tier.

Stop spreading your LFR noobness to the rest of the hunter community.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Immersious: Barrage

Protectors: Barrage

Norushen: Barrage

Sha of what ever he's called: Glaive Toss

Galkaras: Barrage

Iron Jug: Glaive Toss

Dark Shamans: Barrage

General: Barrage (Line up adds with boss)

Malk: Glaive Toss

Spoils: Barrage

Thok: Glaive toss for Normals, Barrage for Heroic (save for Bats)

Siegecrafter: Glaive toss for Normal, Barrage for Heroic

Paragons: Glaive toss is ideal, but if you want to pad with no effective damage on other bosses go Barrage

Garrosh: Barrage (Sync it with add waves / Mind controls)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]