is this the healer's job

90 Pandaren Priest
12/30/2013 09:18 AMPosted by Bunny
Well, it is in mine. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :P I LIKE when people take more damage.

No, it's not in your job description. You choose to do so - and by doing so, you enable bad players to ignore mechanics. And the next healer who comes along - who may not be as geared or skilled as you are - will have a much harder time when they simply can't keep up, which will almost certainly result in the healer being yelled at by DPS who now feel entitled to be healed up regardless of their decision to stand in the fire in the first place. In short, you are training players to be bad.

I ran across this tip for healing a while back.
Don't top off dps, try not to let them die, but DON'T top them off. Leave them around half.

I disagree with this. There is no reason not to heal a DPS that's doing his job and trying his or her best to stay out of the fire. Those that stand in the fire? They get a warning. If they keep standing in it, they die. But I don't see the point of playing games with someone's health bars. My DPS are supposed to trust me, not wonder if I'm just going to screw with them.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Just let them die.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
i have this system called get through the dungeon as fast as possible which usually includes healing the people who are refusing to get out of the bad.

HOWEVER, if someone is really sticking it to me and gimping the group, I have no problem letting them die. They usually get the message and move out of the big fire on the ground after that.
Reply Quote
52 Troll Shaman
12/30/2013 11:32 AMPosted by Tiriél
Well, it is in mine. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :P I LIKE when people take more damage.

No, it's not in your job description. You choose to do so - and by doing so, you enable bad players to ignore mechanics. And the next healer who comes along - who may not be as geared or skilled as you are - will have a much harder time when they simply can't keep up, which will almost certainly result in the healer being yelled at by DPS who now feel entitled to be healed up regardless of their decision to stand in the fire in the first place. In short, you are training players to be bad.

This.
Reply Quote
43 Draenei Warrior
honestly i don't think they needed a lot of training if they were doing it to begin with
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/30/2013 11:32 AMPosted by Tiriél

Good job totally ignoring everything I said about educating players. I repeatedly stated that I believe in educating players in dungeons but that letting them die is not my chosen method of education.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
I don't care if they're geared and pulling the most DPS, if they're standing in stupid and refuse to move, then I refuse to heal.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If someone is standing in something bad and not moving, I'll put a HoT or a shield on them. They make it to my low priority list, regardless of their dps. If they die, they die. I have no problem requesting them to move out of something, if they refuse. Heal yourself then. On my priest with smart heals it's a little harder to not heal them :p

Honestly, at lower levels I run into people that are just oblivious and not paying attention and usually apologize afterwards and don't repeat it. No deaths required.

It's more of an issue at lower levels and in LFRs and flex raids, I find.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
12/30/2013 02:24 PMPosted by Veroicone
Honestly, at lower levels I run into people that are just oblivious and not paying attention and usually apologize afterwards and don't repeat it. No deaths required.

Yes, this has been my experience, as well. Especially in low dungeons, telling someone, "Hey move out of that" is a learning experience, because then they understand that what they're standing in is causing the problem. If you just heal them through it without asking them to move/warning them, they just don't grasp it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I am of two minds on this. Generally speaking I will keep everyone up, because that is a healer's role, and I don't feel like a lack of skill or performance by others exempts me from doing a good job. If I wasn't good enough to keep everyone alive, then sure, let em die. It's triage. If they are doing that and also being a jerk, I'll let them die as an agent of karmic justice.

The other side of the coin is that if you keep them up, and the next healer in their next run can't, they may get a reaction something like: "OMG HEALER, YOU SUCK! I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS BEFORE!". I know it happens because I've seen it multiple times. For some reason it bothers me immensely to be a part of that guy's evidence that this hypothetical next healer sucks.
Reply Quote
52 Troll Shaman
I am of two minds on this. Generally speaking I will keep everyone up, because that is a healer's role, and I don't feel like a lack of skill or performance by others exempts me from doing a good job. If I wasn't good enough to keep everyone alive, then sure, let em die. It's triage. If they are doing that and also being a jerk, I'll let them die as an agent of karmic justice.

The other side of the coin is that if you keep them up, and the next healer in their next run can't, they may get a reaction something like: "OMG HEALER, YOU SUCK! I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS BEFORE!". I know it happens because I've seen it multiple times. For some reason it bothers me immensely to be a part of that guy's evidence that this hypothetical next healer sucks.

And this.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Competely agree.

I recently leveled up my warrior and while doing a dungeon two of the dps were being jerks, to both the healer and the tank. They tried to vote kick the healer for being bad when they did nothing wrong (dps kept pulling extra mobs).
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Personally I don't feel it's my job to educate others....or to put it a different way, you're in the dungeon to heal, not teach people a lesson. It's also why I tried to pick up what stupid dps pulled as I was tanking leveling up.

Perhaps its my general avoidance of conflict but I'd rather do my best and succeed then fail/wipe or have to rez people and then deal with the unfolding drama.

The way a lot of responses I generally see in this thread are don't make me think , "a cool rational discussion is about to happen."

I suppose its your game to spend as you like, but I heal to have some laid back fun not argue, yell at, get irritated with, etc random strangers, in an utterly futile and slightly arrogant attempt to 'teach them a lesson.'

And somewhat to the ops point, at this point in the game I actually found running heroics generally quite a bit easier than the dungeons as I leveled....which is really weird...but, hang in there and you'll be fine.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Something to think about ---

So every group comp is totally different, most days. That crazy tank, dps, healer won't be there to save your !@#$ every time, like they were in the past.

So let's be practical. Personal responsibility really is the "wisdom" us veteran players should be passing on. Constructive criticism will only be received well, if presented well.

Allowing bad habits to continue as we pass through other players experiences, does nothing but to set these people up for failure later. (healing stupid does nothing constructive at all)

A lot of people just don't think about the math (# of mobs hitting for X amount of damage in X amount of time, gear of healer, cast time of spells, silences, terrain interference, ability of newer players, I could go on and on...)

Praising good habits reinforces them. THIS is what we should be doing....along the way, building those potential players that we would have no problem dungeoning/raiding with in the future.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The "let them die" part is not done out of spite, it's a training for them to move out of it, useful for when they attempt raiding in the future. If people move out of bad on instinct, everyone's raiding experience (yes lfr included) will be much more enjoyable with less wipes.

Moving out of bads shouldn't be a thing you do only when you are raiding, it should be instilled as an instinct of self preservation. Let's think of it this way, if you are physically in the game, the fire underneath you is burning your !@# off, are you going to just stand there and let it burn you even if there's someone with magic to heal it off good as new? Why would you want to suffer the fire burn/acid melt/shadow burn in the first place?

And the most important reason, while leveling my mana is freaking limited, with a crappy geared tank I have to focus heal him like mad and I don't have time for this nonsense. Be thankful I even throw you a HoT when the fire spawn beneath you, you should have time to move away. If I have to switch to heal you and directly cause the crappy geared tank to not receive any healing and die, the dungeon will wipe. So, no. I keep tank alive, throw occasional HoTs at DPS for unavoidable damage/minor derps, and finish the dungeon. I am not going to endanger the run by healing stupid.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I give people one chance to learn from the mistake, they do it again, they become a corpse, if they wanna whine and complain about not being able to simply ignore lethal mechanics, they need to put the WoW down and pick up the Hello Kitty
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I must be in the minority I heal anyone and everyone as long as doing so won't kill the tank. Although having to swap from atonement healing to targeted heals because a dps is always lower health then the tank is annoying.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I ran across this tip for healing a while back.
Don't top off dps, try not to let them die, but DON'T top them off. Leave them around half.

As a healer you can see what is going on and you have to make priorities. If keeping a not so aware player alive is going to cause you to oom and wipe the group. Well they have to take one for the team. If you can keep the player alive and the group is fine, well it's still your choice.

When I'm on my priest I will do everything in my power to keep people alive. It's fun and challenging, I enjoy it.

I guess you came across this tip around cata. As this sort of healing style is no longer required but at the end of the day. You will always heal the tank or even another healer over a dps. The only exception would be if I knew the dps was really good. Of course this mostly applies to LFR/PUG groups. If you're feeling like this in your raid group. Somethings wrong :P
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I will heal everything and anything, although I will tell people that they are standing in poo if they are doing so. I will also ask people (nicely) for interrupts on particularly annoying mechanics. I do this in random dungeons, I do this in LFR, and I do this on every healing toon I have.

If people still feel like poo-standing is the way to go, Lifegrip and BoP are far more effective "teaching" tools than simply letting them die.

"Heal me!"

*BoP*

"WTF?"

"Well, you aren't taking damage now, are you?"
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]