is this the healer's job

90 Pandaren Priest
A true healer will do everything they can, use every spell, use all their mana, to keep the group alive.

That is the healer's mentality.

I guess I'm not a true healer then.

Despite the fact that I don't play any other role, and that I've been a healer since BC, and am a healer in every game I play.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
A true healer will do everything they can, use every spell, use all their mana, to keep the group alive.

And sometimes to keep the group alive, you have to just let that guy who refuses to follow mechanics die.

Basically

Everything in the end is situational. It depends on what you're running, who you're with, what level you are, your gear, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

And sometimes to keep the group alive, you have to just let that guy who refuses to follow mechanics die.

Bingo.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I was healing a low level dungeon and someone was standing in a pool of fire and he didn't move so I let him die but then he got so angry at me I was kicked, I was laughing so hard after
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
There are bads that spawn under people that you can't avoid the first tick or two of. I will always heal through that, even if it takes the person an extra second or two to move out.

Sometimes there's an aggro whoopsie (undergeared tank + overgeared DPS, pet on Assist decides it wants to wander off and pull half the room because that mean mob over there halfway down a crowded hall is messing with its owner, etc.) I'll always heal through that.

Facepulls and buttpulls...well, they just happen at times. I'll always heal through it.

DPS trying to save me by attempting to tank/pet tank mobs in the midst of an accidental massive pull (mostly due to a fail tank not bothering to get aggro on the mobs they're running past) so that things don't eat my face, therefore letting me heal and hopefully avoiding a wipe- I will always try and heal through that, and thank the DPS for their efforts whether we wipe or not.

Someone at the start of a dungeon telling the group it's their first time in the place, or their first time in the Heroic version of it so they don't know the mechanics (or additional mechanics.) I will always have a lot of patience with this person and heal them even through standing in bad as best I can, then let them know after that 'Hey, so you know, that (puddle/poison cloud/etc.) hurts and you don't wanna be in/on/by it.'

Someone NOT bothering to tell the group that it's their first time and then yelling at me when they die to avoidable mechanics because I toss a single big heal their way when they stand in bad because HEY DPS/TANK YOU DIDN'T TELL THE GROUP YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE INSTANCE SO YEAH I TOSSED YOU A SINGLE HEAL BECAUSE I EXPECTED YOU TO KNOW THE BAD STUFF/MECHANICS AND GTFO OUT OF IT - This person will drop to the bottom of my heal priority, even if it's a tank, unless they have the correct 'Sorry, I should have told you guys I've never been in here before' attitude after they die.

Elitist/douchebag tank/DPS that run around, pull everything and mock the DPS or tank that are clearly still gearing- Whoops, sorry, both my keybinds and Healbot just...I dunno, suddenly stopped working. *shrug* Oh, and we're in combat so you have to run back. *proceeds to chain CC a mob*
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I tend more towards the "heal all the things" mentality. Even with that, I have, on occasion, let someone die. Usually this was a situation where I have used up CDs saving them before, I've asked them not to stand in that specific thing that is killing them and/or I'm dealing with a situation where if I spend any more time on that person, others will die.

I don't think this is a black and white thing - to heal or not to heal. It's all contextual. It depends on the group, the way that group/individual has interacted with you, the current damage situation, your own CDs (or lack of them). Every healer has their own breakpoints in making those assessments.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

I don't think this is a black and white thing - to heal or not to heal. It's all contextual. It depends on the group, the way that group/individual has interacted with you, the current damage situation, your own CDs (or lack of them). Every healer has their own breakpoints in making those assessments.

Yeah, it's definitely a subjective thing. +10 to this. :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
well at least your a priest, if its just one lame dps every now and again leap of faith can help a ton.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
well at least your a priest, if its just one lame dps every now and again leap of faith can help a ton.

My personal favorite is when you Lifegrip someone out of the fire and they run straight back in.

Pugs are great! :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Good job totally ignoring everything I said about educating players. I repeatedly stated that I believe in educating players in dungeons but that letting them die is not my chosen method of education.

"Why do we fall Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up."

Let them die. Let them learn where they messed up. They won't ever learn if you are just going to play mother hen towards them.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Meh, this is going no where, and we can all agree to disagree.

To all those healers that would endanger the group by burning your mana trying to keep a stupid alive, do go ahead. I'm not sure we could change your mind to try to save your mana for more important targets, but to each his own.

For the rest of us, we would prefer playing safe and nothing you guys say will make us burn our mana trying to keep stupids alive.

We're not talking about a 563 healer doing a 463 dungeon. What we're talking about are leveling healers with just enough gear to heal through a reasonable dungeon run without having to oom and stop to drink for every pull.

Avoidable damage. Keyword: Avoidable. 'nuff said.

Unavoidable damage and accidental derps once in a while deserves healing, we are trying to keep the run smooth.

Having to stop and ress you is going to slow the run, which we are trying to avoid. Having to wipe and corpse run cuz you burned our mana for healing tank on you is worse. Thus if you would not move out of bad things on the floor, I will sacrifice you so we don't have to corpse run. Simple enough logic to comprehend?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Having to wipe and corpse run cuz you burned our mana for healing tank on you is worse. Thus if you would not move out of bad things on the floor, I will sacrifice you so we don't have to corpse run. Simple enough logic to comprehend?

Given, heirlooms, overgearing in heroics, and the tuning of five mans this is almost never an issue, this is not early cata. In raids the amount of aoe/smart healing means that if the player could be saved he probably will.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
This is how I feel.
If someone is standing in crap, I'll heal them a couple times.
Then I'll say "stop standing in that".
If they continue, I stop healing them.

That's how I start my raids.
"Remember guys, you get some freebies, but if you continually stand in stuff or stand in fire for a while without moving at all, I stop healing you."

Now, of course - There's points in time where you should heal someone for the sake of finishing content. There's no reason to not heal if it's the difference between a wipe and a kill, or a failed attempt and an achievement.

Just heal them.
By the way, make sure you put up your shields. It'll prevent a lot of the "random damage" that hits the DPS. Puddle of oozing goo? Fire? You got shields for that! A lot of the time you can bubble up a DPS, top up the tank, and periodically heal up the rest of the group. People don't need to be at 100% all the time - Unless they're taking spike or you know there's an incoming boss mechanic.

----
Healing is about keeping people alive, and helping with the boss mechanics.
Tanking is about holding aggro, keeping people alive, and helping with the boss mechanics.
DPS is about doing damage, keeping yourself alive, and helping with the boss mechanics.

So many DPS think that the healer should heal them regardless. NO! Just because they're a healer doesn't mean you can stand in fire, or do dumb crap. People that don't understand this (like the person earlier in this thread) will never get anywhere in a legitimate raiding guild. People who aren't raid aware should only blame themselves for dying - Not the healer.
Edited by Moonpally on 1/6/2014 2:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
01/06/2014 01:38 AMPosted by Synae
Having to wipe and corpse run cuz you burned our mana for healing tank on you is worse. Thus if you would not move out of bad things on the floor, I will sacrifice you so we don't have to corpse run. Simple enough logic to comprehend?

Given, heirlooms, overgearing in heroics, and the tuning of five mans this is almost never an issue, this is not early cata. In raids the amount of aoe/smart healing means that if the player could be saved he probably will.

Well, when people are bringing this up, they're generally not talking about raids. I agree - with the amount of smart healing and sniping going on, it's a foregone conclusion that unless an ability instant-kills someone, they're probably going to survive no matter how much fire they stand in.

That said, the scenario Leoryl describes happens a surprising amount in low level dungeons. you get a lot of tanks that are queued as tanks for the faster queue time, but are actually DPS and have no idea how to tank anyway. You also get a lot of DPS who, having been able to get away with it before, genuinely believe that they can just run around and pull whatever.

Mana Tombs with a bad tank and stupid DPS will still result in a wipe. Sadly, you can't heal cheese your way out of being Mind Controlled because you're the only one killing the totems.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Acceptable losses. You can't heal stupid.
Reply Quote
74 Draenei Shaman
Actually this kinda reminds me of when I was playing my Fury Warrior in Vanilla. I was in mostly DPS leathers early on (Plate DPS pieces were hard to get), so I was squishy anyway. But on every progression boss there would come a time when my raid leader would start yelling at me to die. That was my cue to ignore the threat meter, spam Heroic Strike on every auto-attack, use Berserker Rage (it gave more rage from incoming damage back then) and go stand in a fire turning all the yummy rage into Executes for as long as the healers could keep me up.

It wasn’t exactly the healers’ job to keep me alive when I did that — I almost always ended up eating a repair bill from it — but the fire and I would work together to turn the healers’ mana into DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Mana Tombs with a bad tank and stupid DPS will still result in a wipe. Sadly, you can't heal cheese your way out of being Mind Controlled because you're the only one killing the totems.

Mana Tombs has the possessors that randomly spawn shortly after each pull. It's Birdy Halls that has the totems. Both, of course, will wipe the unaware as you mentioned.

Those are much more fun as a tank. There I just pull one group, kill the dangerous one, then pull the next group. The few people that don't get this and "help" me pull almost always result in me getting MC'd and killing off the entire party. After that I just solo the mess. :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
01/06/2014 05:32 PMPosted by Kipery

Mana Tombs has the possessors that randomly spawn shortly after each pull. It's Birdy Halls that has the totems. Both, of course, will wipe the unaware as you mentioned.

Those are much more fun as a tank. There I just pull one group, kill the dangerous one, then pull the next group. The few people that don't get this and "help" me pull almost always result in me getting MC'd and killing off the entire party. After that I just solo the mess. :)

Been a while. I just remember dying in there repeatedly on alts because the tanks just..pull three rooms and then are like, "omg, why is everyone dead or mind controlled?!"
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/06/2014 01:38 AMPosted by Synae

Read my whole post, we're talking about leveling healers who has just enough mana to keep a reasonably competent group(read: not standing in fire for the whole duration it's there) alive. Hell, I couldn't care less about current dungeon in my current gear. Outgearing it by 100 ilvl, you could even attempt suicide and you will fail with me there(barring instant deaths from suicidal jumps, I can pump your health full in 2 seconds flat, instant full health if my LoH is not on CD).

Not everyone has heirlooms, think of it as challenge mode dungeons, where your gear is scaled to just the right level for a challenge, and wasting your healer's mana by standing in !@#$ is gonna wipe your run.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]