Question on priorities

80 Blood Elf Paladin
This is my first tank so bear with me.

So far I've been doing a lot of dungeons, and doing (in my opinion) fairly well. That is, generally speaking everything dies, and we get loot. That said, I have questions on several things, and could probably use some general advice.

First, priorities: Generally to pull I use Avenger's Shield, Judgement as I close in and then Crusader Strike for single target, Hammer of the Righteous for multiple mobs.

Anytime I'm dealing with more than one mob I keep using HoR, with Judgement as filler, Consecration if available, and Shield of the Righteous at a 3 stack of Holy Power. I save Hand of Reckoning for any loose mobs, and use AS anytime it becomes available. Same thing but Crusader Strike for single mobs.

Sometimes I'll have AS, 3 stack of Holy Power and Hammer of Wrath all available. What order should I use them in? So far I've been using AS, HoW then SoR. Is there a better way?

Ok, CD usage-something I probably need a lot of work on. Since Divine Protection has such a short cd I tend to use it every few pulls, just to keep things easier for the healer, I try to make sure that I have Ardent Defender available for any big pull and boss, and use it if I'm getting low, or right before any period of heavy damage, to try and keep my healer happy. I will once in a while pop Divine shield for a second or two if I think I'm about to die (I have a macro that is /cancel aura-because it drops threat when I pop it, so I'll only keep it for a second or two so the healer can hit me with something). I almost never use Hand of Protection, mostly because I don't know what each boss does (it only protects against physical damage), also, I keep thinking I should save it for my healer in tough situations? but targeting my healer then casting it seems like it would take too long to be practical in an emergency. I also pop Avenging Wrath before all boss fights, and sometimes in between if it's off cd and will be up by the next boss.

Gear-I try to pick up things that I think will help me. Obviously sometimes they aren't the best pieces for me... Feel free to critique what I have and give me pointers, I hope to be 80 this weekend, and will try to tank heroics to have gear for leveling when cata hits. Yes, I know I'm not gemmed or enchanted right now-with how fast gear is changing I've been ignoring it. How huge of a deal is that for heroics then leveling again after?

Talents/glyphs-again, I just took what seemed good, advice would be lovely, with explanations if possible, so I understand the choices rather than just copying a build.

Any other comments/advice are appreciated. Thank You.
Edited by Llyinamor on 11/22/2010 11:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
You should also be using holy wrath as a filler, single target and multi target

three stack ShoR is #1, followed by CS/HotR
after that is HoW, then AS

Hand of protection is your third taunt, mobs switch away from physical immune targets.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
and when you hit 80, pick up an arena shield, only 70 honor points for ilevel 270
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
You should also be using holy wrath as a filler, single target and multi target

three stack ShoR is #1, followed by CS/HotR
after that is HoW, then AS

Hand of protection is your third taunt, mobs switch away from physical immune targets.

Excellent, thanks for this information. I guess my concern has been that if I don't use AS immediately I can sometimes get a proc that is otherwise wasted, and it seems to hit harder than 3 stack ShoR. Am I just mistaken about the damage? Or is there some other reason for using ShoR first?

How do you use Hand of Protection as a third taunt? I'm guessing setting up grid to show aggro and then using a mouseover to apply it if someone gets aggro? Is that how it's usually done? Is there a better way? Perhaps a guide to setting that up?

and when you hit 80, pick up an arena shield, only 70 honor points for ilevel 270

Good to know, thank you.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
the elist jerk determined that using AS procs is actually a net decrease in TPS, because it ends up disrupting the 3339 rotation.

while ignoring AS procs you can use every GCD without fail.

it's a bit counter intuitive.

You should still use AS when you need it to pick up adds or silence casters.

also note, if you're hurt self casting WoG isn't much of a TPS loss compared to ShoR
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
if you haven't check out xayton's guide: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1020823291
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
The other benefit to putting SoR as your #1 is you will ensure your Holy Shield remains active
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]