is it ok to use macro toolkit?

20 Orc Hunter
hello all,

i have seen some pretty complex (and decent looking) macros posted on some sites that say i need an addon called 'macro toolkit' to use them.
seems to allow beyond the 255 characters. so i am wondering if it is ok to use this or not in the game?
silly question but why would an addon allow you to go beyond numbers of characters dictated in the game . . .
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
If it can run as an addon, and you're not using it to cheat, harass, or otherwise exploit the game in some manner, it should be fine. There are some exceptions, but gm's are normally pretty good with them if you genuinely didn't know.

As for why you'd need more.. you can actually run the addon commands inside a macro. "/run ReloadUI;" will cause your screen to reload, for example. Once you start putting in the basic stuff like loops or other control structures, filters and so forth, 255 characters becomes very, very limiting. Most people don't use macros for anything significant, so there's no reason to increase the sized, but some people make things like guild cleansing scripts, bank organisers, etc that could benefit from it.
Reply Quote
20 Orc Hunter
well i saw some interesting ways of maybe improving macros i am using to attack with. maybe i will send an ingame mail to a gm if i can. funny thing, lately, for some reason i have found the interface design to submit problems etc is this wacky imcomprehensible mess. maybe this is meant to prevent me from submitting issues etc lol.

and yes, 255 is very limiting.
Reply Quote
As long as 1 key stroke per action occurs in-game any macro should be fine with or without the use of an add-on
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I want to see what kind of macro would require more than 255 chars.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
As long as 1 key stroke per action occurs in-game any macro should be fine with or without the use of an add-on

Wait... You're saying you have to push one button for every one spell?
Reply Quote
20 Orc Hunter
well i would paste some examples in here, but if it is against the rules i should not. the addon is on curse, usually i think the stuff on curse is fairly legit.

hope somebody will chime in who uses it and knows it's ok to use
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
If it's accessible from the macro menu (usually /m or /macro), it's fine.

If it's a lua addon you install into your interface\addons folder, it's fine.

If it's a third party executable... might not be fine.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I personally use Macro Toolkit. I have not had any bans or anything..

I do not take advantage of the 255+ character rule that it allows you to break.. but that's partially because I have not needed a macro that has been anywhere NEAR that long.

I have been playing a lot of new classes lately. trying to get some characters higher level for WoD since I don't have much else to do til then as I don't raid.

This addon is incredibly helpful with syntax as it works similar to notepad++, as well as copying macros from other characters over.

The 255 rule would be at your discretion. whether or not it breaks rules will be for you to figure out, but if you don't use macros that get that long, it won't matter regardless.

It doesn't allow you to do anything with a macro that the regular macro window wouldn't allow, aside from the character limit.
Reply Quote
20 Orc Hunter
ah ty much unclescar. i will give it a try. i hope i can change the font and size in the interface unlike the native wow macro interface. i really find the wow macro interface to be really awful honestly in terms of legibility etc lol
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
From the addon's description:

Macro Shortening

Macro Toolkit will attempt to shorting your macros without affecting functionality. It does by looking for the shortest options for each command used, removing unnecessary spaces and optionally replacing known common Lua script functions with Macro Toolkit commands. This is more involved than it may sound, so it's worth checking that nothing has been removed that you kinda wanted left alone once you've used this function.

So, from the sounds of it, it does a few things to shorten your macros:

-It checks for wasted white space. For example, if you include a space after a comma or semicolon, it removes it.

-It checks for shorter aliases for any commands you are using. For example "/w" and "/whisper" are the same thing; if you use "/whisper", it replaces it with "/w".

-Just like other addons can create their own slash commands (for example, I use SpartanUI. It adds the slash command "/sui" to bring up its config window.), it creates short slash commands that it replaces common functions. Since I don't know what functions are replaced, I can't really give examples, but basically, it would involve creating shorter aliases, so that it can do the same sort of thing accomplished by the above change.
However, since its using slash commands created by the addon, any macros affected by this particular change will not function if they're used on a computer without Macro Toolkit, or if you remove the addon. Macros only affected by the first two changes will continue to function, even without the addon.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]