Warrior or Paladin for LvLing PvP?

82 Orc Death Knight
I'm planning on rolling a new character after tomorrow's patch strictly through PvP with a buddy of mine who will be a holy paladin.

I plan to either roll an arms/prot warrior or a ret/prot paladin. My question to you, the great BG PvP community, is what is the potential of the lowbie warrior/paladin in those brackets? Will I have more burst as a paladin or a warrior--or even decent/good burst on either? How about survivability? How are prot specs holding up these days? Assume I will always have a pocket healer, and please, no "lol dude it don matter wut u play n lowb brkts" responses.

I've leveled a warrior and paladin twice before, but not with any of the new changes since 4.0. I also don't play either at 80 now, so any advice and supporting facts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
82 Orc Death Knight
No opinions on the matter?
Reply Quote
19 Undead Warrior
If you are doing strict pvp, the easiest to level with would be Holy pally FC. Along with your friend, you would be very hard to take down. Prot (either)/ holy would be okay, but holy x2 would be your best chance at nigh invulnerability.

Really what it falls down to is what do you want to play at 85, and how much time you want to spend leveling.
Reply Quote
60 Human Paladin
Paladin edges out warrior typically, the self healing is big, and AVS hits hard. Paladin is also less gear dependent. Less everything dependent really. Just better. I recently leveled a warrior 40-65 primarily in bgs, and rogues were the biggest issue, but with the scaling nerfs coming through, i can see that being fun.
Reply Quote
70 Blood Elf Paladin
Well with a holy pally, i'd say either, but if you were alone, prot pallys will still hit like a truck with AS, but it purty much relies on that AS since the damage sucks outside of it, but arms War will do decent damage and isn't reliant on 1 ability, prot war's apparently are hitting low according to others, and ret is decent at damage like arms, but it has less survivability than prot pally, for a bit more sustained damage.

As soon as you pick up grand crusader as prot pally, your damage increases greatly since crusader strike will have a 20% chance to instantly refresh the CD on AS.

I'd say Arms/prot war, arms for damage, and prot when you want to be a node defender/peeler for your holy pally.
Reply Quote
82 Orc Death Knight
Paladin is also less gear dependent. Less everything dependent really. Just better.

I'm going to have close to the best gear available in each respective bracket. I plan to go ALL OUT on this character, so I want to make sure I have some valuable information before I decide to sink lots of time and effort into making him. I currently have all the BoAs I need for plate dps/tanking for a paladin or warrior and nothing for a holy paladin.

Well with a holy pally, i'd say either, but if you were alone, prot pallys will still hit like a truck with AS, but it purty much relies on that AS since the damage sucks outside of it, but arms War will do decent damage and isn't reliant on 1 ability, prot war's apparently are hitting low according to others, and ret is decent at damage like arms, but it has less survivability than prot pally, for a bit more sustained damage.

As soon as you pick up grand crusader as prot pally, your damage increases greatly since crusader strike will have a 20% chance to instantly refresh the CD on AS.

I'd say Arms/prot war, arms for damage, and prot when you want to be a node defender/peeler for your holy pally.

Until your last sentence, I thought you were going with the paladin ;). So you're professional opinion AS a paladin is to play a warrior? Insightful, lol.
Reply Quote
82 Orc Death Knight
"Shield of the Righteous: Contribution of attack power halved (now 60% with full Holy Power) and base damage brought up so that a level 85 paladin in Heroic dungeon gear deals the same damage with no Vengeance, but Vengeance has less impact."

Will this affect prot pvp tremendously?
Reply Quote
60 Human Paladin
If you were to go warrior i'd say don't bother with prot. If you have heals anyway, arms is more than capable of peeling with improved hamstring and eventually throwdown.

I'd be worried about being able to out dps an opposing healer as a prot warrior, though i haven't extensively played one recently.

Edit: The shield of the righteousness nerf is more of a loss of icing on the cake that is prot paladins than something of incredible substance. And i haven't tested it, so it may even hit similarly while leveling with the increased base damage. You don't even get shield of the righteous until fourth tier and by then you'll have grand crusader, so i wouldn't take it into consideration. The buff to AVS cooldown most likely makes up for it even if the damage is (worst case scenario) halved.
Edited by Lightfall on 11/22/2010 7:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Bumpola
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
For the lower levels at least, Prot Warrior pretty much owns and makes people eat dirt. Gotta love globaling someone with a shield to the face and watching 3 guys run off and slowly die to Rent after a Thunderclap with a slow 1hander.

Just gotta learn to run away from kiters to OOC to re-use charge until Warbringer.
Reply Quote
70 Troll Hunter
interecept isn't available until level 50. Without it, your life will be hell. go w/ a pally.
Reply Quote
43 Blood Elf Priest
Arms Warrior
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
For the lower levels at least, Prot Warrior pretty much owns and makes people eat dirt. Gotta love globaling someone with a shield to the face and watching 3 guys run off and slowly die to Rent after a Thunderclap with a slow 1hander.

Just gotta learn to run away from kiters to OOC to re-use charge until Warbringer.

Nerfing shield bash in the patch aren't they? =\
Reply Quote
73 Orc Warlock
they are nerfing everything today, so its hard to say.

before today, 10-19. warriors in BOA are a force. even level 12s were ripping people up.

prot paladins are pretty rough too, a ranged silence that hits hard is a brutal tool in this bracket.

other than that, id say play the warrior, the bgs are aready lousy with paladins.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]