Divine Storm back down to 60%?

85 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, this is curious. According to the current patch notes divine storm will be back down to 60% base weapon damage. If so, Redcape at EJ has already worked out that you would need at least 7 targets for it to pull ahead of Crusader Strike, assuming you have seals of command and seal of righteousness going. In other words, DS would be unlikely to be worth speccing in any serious build.

I find it strange that they would nerf the 80% base damage, when the theorycrafters have already worked out even an 80% Divine Storm to be only marginally useful. I suspect this might be a tooltip error, but I guess we find out tomorrow.

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Except you can use it on CD as opposed to having to stack *@!% to ever be able to use it. Stuff that stacks anyways will be thrown into inquisition.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
DS shares a CD with CS, but doesn't give 100% HoPo and even if (as I assume) it is going to be 80% WD you still need to be in combat with 4+ mobs for it to pull ahead of just doing your CS ST rotation.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
Being able to use it on CD and actually gaining dps by using it on CD are two different things
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Yay for staple abilities prepatch being useless post 4.0. Has anyone seen my aimed shot?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
If it was 100% weapon damage, or, preferably, gave Holy Power, then it could possibly be viable at 3 targets, which I think it should be. 4 is alright, too, I suppose, but 3 would be better.

Imo, just take it off cd with CS, and it's useful again.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
If it was 100% weapon damage, or, preferably, gave Holy Power, then it could possibly be viable at 3 targets, which I think it should be. 4 is alright, too, I suppose, but 3 would be better.

Then it could very well end up in teh single-target rotation, which is against their design goals.

As opposed to being completely not worth the talent point.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest

I'm guessing it would find a way into a single target rotation and blizz doesn't want that.

edit: beat me to it
Edited by Lightwell on 11/22/2010 10:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
So, I just have to ask this: How many of you commenting here have actually experienced, firsthand, cataclysm content and can actually say how useful or worthwhile an AoE ability is going to be? And I don't mean how many of you have read somebody's theorycrafting.

I ask, because it is my understanding that AoE in Cataclysm is not OMG THERE'S MOAR THAN ONE!!!!!!!!1!!!!!1!!!!111!AoE in Cata is the gheist traps in Plagueworks and the Sindragosa gauntlet. Anything less than that and you're going to use single target abilities because all single target abilities hit significantly harder than AoE abilities, except in encounters where there are several targets, and not just OMG MOAR THANONE!!!1!!1!!!!!!1!!

Of course, I haven't experienced Cataclysm content firsthand myself, so maybe I'm wrong >_>

Thats not the point. Theres not very many occasions where it would be better to use DS over TV or Inquisition meaning somewhere the ability isn't balanced around current content and should be changed.

It would be like a Disc Priest getting Penance but finding in every situation Flash Heal is better. It doesn't make sense.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
so long as ret doesn't fall behind on 2-6 target fights, and is competitive on 7+ target fights who cares if they nerf DS.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
It's a good change all the way around. I am not saying it is an ability that is competitive with aoe abilities from other classes, but waiting on a 3 - 4.5 cooldown is better than waiting on 3 stacks of holy power.

If nothing else it is useful in pvp for unstealthing rogues.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
75% weapon damage, effected by all CS talents, and generates 1 HP when used if ret is expected to use it in normal aoe situations(come on how often do you get to hit more then 4 targets at once)
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
It's 80% on the PTR, and that was a change that was made after the 60% patch note version.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]