Am I ready for Heroics?

85 Human Paladin
What are the minimum requirements?
I can queue for them but I don't want to look like a fool ...

I've tanked normal ToC and FoS, went perfectly fine.

If I'm not ready, what piece of gear should I be looking for before starting to queue for the m?

The reason I ask is the income of justice point is rather non-existent with normal dungeon !

Thanks a bunch guys!
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Thanks a bunch !

No plans for tonight? Check
Pumped for heroic? Check

Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Lux
I suggest spam running normal ToC and the 3.3 dungeons to grab all of the tank gear available there. To keep up threat-wise you want a slow dps weapon, getting your hit to 8% and expertise to 22 with SoT up. If you are around 30K buffed health, unless you have a fresh inexperienced healer, any heroic is doable including HoR.

Edit: This is the method I took and went from fresh 80 in greens/blues to "Epic" with kingslayer in two weeks on my druid.
Edited by Herrbjorn on 11/23/2010 8:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh dear.

Yes, you can tank heroics in the same sense that an enhancement shaman can these days. That doesn't mean that you'll win accolades, though. I wouldn't be surprised at the occasional votekick if people start to inspect you.

Note that it's not that you're wearing blues (though those greens should go). That's what people wore for heroics originally. But using DPS items, not enchanting and gemming your gear sends a message of "I want to be carried".

The thing is, any group who can deal with you tanking without that being a major problem also doesn't need you. They can just kick you and, say, let the frost DK tank who probably is both more survivable and holds aggro better than you. You're not needed other than that the dungeon finder forces you on them in order to enter the dungeon. After that, you're very likely expendable.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warrior
You'll be fine. Even if you aren't geared, chances are the rest of the group will be. If you end up not really tanking, then the dps will drop anything before it really could become a possible threat.

Still, his health is awfully low. He should at least stick some Stamina gems in those gem sockets. (Even green-quality stamina gems would be better than nothing.)
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I leveled two Paladins. The first one I leveled I deleted for no apparent reason, and I did it when Wrath just came out so I had to start from scratch getting only t7 stuff as a reward. This second time around I started off in the same paticament with no JP's (Heirlooms back then... (yeah I started again before JP's where out), no rep with anybody, just gold from dailies, and two professions, Jewel crafting and mining. With the previous wisdom I aquired from my last leveling endever I knew if I didn't have to pay to make gems it would make gemming my gear a lot less expensive, so I always had my gem slots filled. I don't know how you choose your professions but I can tell you getting a small heal isn't going to help you as much as 60 extra stam, or 3 better gems that give you enchanced stats. That being said, I would say you made it hard on yourself by not getting mining, JCing, or even blacksmithing as your professions cause now you have to rely on other people to get something all plate wearers need, gems, and titansteel... I do not remember exactly what type of gear I started out with off-hand but what I do know is that both times I turned 80 before I stepped into a heroic I had at least my legs enchanted with that +55 stam bonus, and the +40 stam bonus to bracers, and I suggest you get at least those two. Also, I always had all the titansteel crafted gear I could afford. Being a miner the first time (second time I was lazy and just bought it) I farmed all the mats myself. If you where a JC you could craft yourself a good stam trinket... but since you are not your only choice now is to farm the one that drops in regular ToC. I suggest you do that, also, get as much titansteel as you can, and find a good friend who happens to be a Jewel crafter cause you'll need him to make all your gems unless you know how to work the AH and have tons of gold. I personally never had the patience for it but maybe desperite as you are you could find time to learn...

For your other trinket, try seal of the pantheon it drops in normal HoL.

Before you get your two trinket drops I suggest you take care of everything else first, and see if you can get your new JC friend to craft you the tank ring to while he's at it... and is there a tank amulet to? I forgot... :(

In conclusion,

Don't set one foot into a heroic like that man. Ever since 4.0.1 everybodies HP became inflated due to the increased damage mobs and bosses do, and I gotta tell you... I had more hp than you do now when I started doing heroics long before 4.0.1 hit. So, yeah, your hp is really pathetic, don't go into heroics you'll probably die in two swings. :(

see if you could find that BoE tanking belt too while your at it... thats if you have the money, it'll probably cost like 40g, not too much, and put the belt buckle on it, and stam gem it, cause you need stam :)

I know there are a few people in this thread that said you could tank heroics, but I think they either don't know what they are talking about, or arn't really thinking about what they are saying. Your health is too low, and you have very little mitigation. When the 4.0.1 patch came out I had much better gear than you do now, and I almost died a "whole lot" mind you in easy instances like Halls of Stone just on regular mobs. I can remember having a thin slice of green as my health bar twice in the same fight just when I got into Halls of Stone. Trust me, whoever says you are ready for heroics really needs to take a second look at what they are saying. Of course since then I've gotten better gear and now that hasn't even happened in the ICC 5 mans.

Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
What are the minimum requirements?
I can queue for them but I don't want to look like a fool ...

I've tanked normal ToC and FoS, went perfectly fine.

If I'm not ready, what piece of gear should I be loareoking for before starting to queue for the m?

The reason I ask is the income of justice point is rather non-existent with normal dungeon !

Thanks a bunch guys!

1. Are you 80? if yes, skip to number 2, if no, then no, no you can't.

2. Are you speced prot? If yes skip to 3, if no, then no...respec prot then re answer this question.

3. Yes you can tank heroics.

Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Thanks Lightblade, very helpfull reply.

I've asked a guildmate to craft me 2 pieces of Titansteel which will bump my Stamina a bit (these are expensive, holy crap)
I dropped my Heirloom hammer for a mug (?!?) it gives better stats than what I had.

I also agree my profs sucks, I took it while leveling to grind cash but never really got to it, now that I'm 80 I should really change that and get some decent tanking professions, completly forgot about that. So it's something I'll try and do tonight, well, start to anyways.

As far as gemming and enchanting, it gets expensive fast, on my priest, I waited till I had iLevel 200+ gear before investing since low level stuff gets replaced so fast (usually, I've had a hard time getting good drops since I started normal dungeons)

On the other hand, for some reason, since yesterday's patch I couldn't do ToC or any of the LK normal 5-man , very odd, so I had to try and grind lower level instances to up my gear level.

I gave up after 5-6 instances and bought a few pieces of gear (+ titansteel, not equipped yet though)

Just to finish, everyone says my HP is really low, what's a decent amount I should aim for?

Thanks a bunch for all the helpull answers :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Lux
Just to finish, everyone says my HP is really low, what's a decent amount I should aim for?

I suggest spam running normal ToC and the 3.3 dungeons to grab all of the tank gear available there. To keep up threat-wise you want a slow dps weapon, getting your hit to 8% and expertise to 22 with SoT up. If you are around 30K buffed health, unless you have a fresh inexperienced healer, any heroic is doable including HoR.

Edit: This is the method I took and went from fresh 80 in greens/blues to "Epic" with kingslayer in two weeks on my druid.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Best bit of advice...

Stop getting tanking gear! Get DPS gear and use it while tanking, this will net you a lot more DPS and threat. Plus you can level as a tank in cata much easier. There is no point in getting tanking gear at this point in the game :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]