Is healing at 85 fun?

62 Tauren Warrior
I signed up to heal in cata on the basis of early developer interviews but I'm quickly coming to realize that the developer's stated intentions on healing and the end result may not be one and the same.

I've done a little raiding as a holy priest, and I enjoyed it. I particularly enjoyed the mechanics of dodging the 5SR; employing cooldowns, procs, knowledge of the fight and just gut intuition to avoid casting as long as possible for maximum regen, but I stopped raiding in wrath long before ilvl creep took hold and healing became a throughput race.

Spirit's now everyone's regen stat, but the 5SR is gone, and the state of wrath healing is mostly unchanged. It's impossible to see yet if the early stated intention of a return to tBC era healing--mana management, downranking, strategic choice--has panned out.

If the rush of twitch healing is gone, what takes its place? What reason is there to show up to the same fights, week after week?

I've yet to see the most important question explored fully, so here it is again:

If you've raided, or just done a lot of heroics at level 85, is it enjoyable?

Why?
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
Its funner for druids and shamans, priests are unsure at times and holy paladins will reroll en masse.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Hows so all the logs I see show this.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/ejxio09gpk9ro5ic/sum/healingDone/

Reply Quote
62 Tauren Warrior
You guys seem to have missed the "ARE THE CLASSES BALANCED?" thread and hit this one by mistake. I'm sure you'll find your own way out.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
Topping Charts= Fun? Sure its nice to rub recount in peoples face but its not helpful in raids.

Holy Radiance was 58% of the paladins healing done which is on a 30 second and its getting nerfed hard. I did more HPS on festergut 25 in 3.3.5 then that paladin did at 85, How often do dps really stack on the healer in all honesty? Considering how much this expansion will be favoring casters I just don't see numbers like that going live.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
If you enjoyed raiding at 80, then no, you probably won't like this iteration of healing.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Topping Charts= Fun?

Being competitive? Yes?

Paladin doing twice the amount of heals spamming one button.

Sorry, I am missing the fun aspect of this.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
If you enjoyed raiding at 80, then no, you probably won't like this iteration of healing.

Not necessarily true, but it is almost entirely different. HPS didn't go up much from 80, yet health bars increased 500%. You lose the majority of your haste and crit ratings due to scaling. If you can handle the frustration of feeling reduced in relative power by that much, then you'll do fine. It's a little bit like trying to fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool with a garden hose at times.
Reply Quote
Not necessarily true, but it is almost entirely different. HPS didn't go up much from 80, yet health bars increased 500%. You lose the majority of your haste and crit ratings due to scaling. If you can handle the frustration of feeling reduced in relative power by that much, then you'll do fine. It's a little bit like trying to fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool with a garden hose at times.

From the looks of it, this will be the first time in any of the RPGs I've played where levelling up will make me feel miserable. Well played, Blizzard. Maybe their intent is to make healers feel like martyrs (I guess it fits with the Discipline theme, lolrp).
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Healing at 85 is really fun for me, but it's going to be a personal thing for everyone. I like having time to think, time to reposition without worrying about the tank instantly dying, and such. Watching for raid positions so you know when to drop Healing Rain is fun, and hopefully even more fun now that healing done outside of Efflorescence and Holy Radiance matters more.

There are still plenty of moments where you have to respond quickly, but it's now just one of many aspects of healing. So rather than every second of every fight being "hit your best heal on the best target" you now have to weigh your current mana situation, whether another healer is better suited, and such. So you won't just spam heal the guy with 10k damage if he's already got 2 HoTs from other healers.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
"Oops, something is broken" my butt. (removed double post)
Edited by Totemtoter on 11/23/2010 7:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Catacylsm healing so far looks like its more about avoiding death than anything else. You're efficiency is getting cut and spell strength is 1/3 of what it was in previous expansions. So really you're hoping that your dps is capable of downing the encounter fast enough than healer/tank being capable of prolonging a few mistakes.

Nothing wrong with that but the healing mentality as a whole is back to vanilla where you cast what you can afford at that time and pray nothing goes wrong during the cast time.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Hopefully it will be better than WotLK. WotLK healing was really uninteresting. Unlimited mana, just mash your strongest heals as fast as you can.

If they actually balance it so you have to watch your mana and think about your healing instead of the mindless mashing then it should be fun (and I will be impressed).
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Hunter
It looks like every class will have its own passive healing. With the small amount healers actually do. Do you think you could have a DPS, Tank, One heal (for tanks) only raid? Where everyone will have enough gear to just regen enough health passively?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
It looks like every class will have its own passive healing. With the small amount healers actually do. Do you think you could have a DPS, Tank, One heal (for tanks) only raid? Where everyone will have enough gear to just regen enough health passively?

No. I don't see personal healing overcoming a dragon wailing on someone for 10 minutes.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Nothing wrong with that but the healing mentality as a whole is back to vanilla where you cast what you can afford at that time and pray nothing goes wrong during the cast time.

I would welcome that style of healing. I remember on my warrior in vanilla always looking at the healer's mana. On my priest, I was always balancing mana with keeping people up.

Skip ahead to WOTLK and I can honestly say as a tank I rarely, if ever even looked at my healer's mana. The few times I've healed in WOTLK, it's been a snooze fest since the last thing I've had to watch is my mana.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Healing is fun at 85 if you're good at this game and can make your class work no matter how "unbalanced" you feel. If you're not very good at this game go roll a druid and you'll still have fun. Lol.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I signed up to heal in cata on the basis... etc... If you've raided, or just done a lot of heroics at level 85, is it enjoyable? Why?

I was a Holy Pally on Beta and found healing is enjoyable at 85, for the following reasons:

1) Changes to Dmg Taken
      a) Gone: Unhealable Tank Spike Dmg Taken
        Tanks taking 2 hits in a row that each do ~50% of their life in dmg. From the time of the first impact to the second you'll have, on average, 2 seconds. If you're caught healing another target in a 1.5 sec cast and have 0.25 sec of lag, you'll probably not going to get to the tank before he dies, which is awfully sad for the raid. Tanks will take a spike dmg hit like that but the mechanics will be such that another will not land for several more seconds. This gives breather room for healers to respond without panicing and brings a sense of manageable urgency rather than RNG frustration.

b) Less Often: Massive Raid Dmg
        Shammies and Druid (the latter is my former main in Wrath) used to dominate at Raid and Party healing. There are pleny of encounters and bosses that have either steady raid-wide dmg or sudden drops to 10%. These healers would have to madly heal and could still watch guildies die by no fault other than their heals going out before another splash of dmg weren't landing on enough targets; thus it wasn't a spellpower issue. RNG deaths are lame thus massive raid-wide dmg can occur but will be tightly controlled by design.

c) Less is More
        We heal for less when you look at the size of our heals compared to tank/player health pools. This is a direct result of the above changes. With tanks not needing to be topped off in order to live through dangerous 2 sec spaced attacks, now having several seconds until death, we do not need to be capable of delivering 50%+ heals with a single cast. With raid dmg being less common, or, raid dmg occurring but in trickling amounts, we will not require group heals to bump players up by large amounts. Also, we have time to go around healing everyone before they'll die. In short, because we have more time available to do things right AND make mistakes (that part is key), we have more control. The RNG deaths are significantly reduced.

2) Mana is a Resource (again)
      a) Big and Costly vs. Smaller and Cheap
        Healing in Wrath, after Naxx, wasn't about managing your mana pool. That was always going to be there unless you tried to get rid of it and even then by the end that was almost infeasible. The mana cost of the big spells is large. When a tank takes a big hit and you know you have 5-7+ sec to get them back up to where another large hit can safely land without killing them, you have choices you can make. You can let them linger there while you get others up (who may otherwise die), you can heal them back up with cheap spells, or you can blast out some costly big ones. Your choices matter again (see the next point).

b) Being an Amazing, Good or Meh Healer
        Player skill, knowledge of class and of fight mechanics will play a larger role in how well you perform. This will allow healers to be recognized for their skill. A crappy healer who has great gear and spams a single spell will, arguably, be out performed by a talented player who has good gear and knows how to manage their mana pool. The former will have more deaths or an unsuccessful encounter while the latter will have fewer deaths and loot as a reward. Tanks had this issue too; roll a Pally, pull a room, ignore CC, generate comparatively huge amounts of threat on a boss, all with little to no thought. Tanks didn't like how being a particular class made them better than talented players of other classes, the way Healers (I think) had no clearly discernible way to show who was better; absorbs and effective healing done was the only measure because it was a pretty sure thing the raid would live no matter how many less-than-good healers there were. In short, not going OOM and keeping everyone alive will be the effective measure of success and skill because the less-than-good players will go OOM and the raid will die.

... continues in next post, next page of the forums.
Edited by Tammarion on 11/23/2010 12:01 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]