Hammer of the Righteous or Crusader Strike?

64 Blood Elf Paladin
As a paladin tank what is better to use? Hammer of the Righteous or Crusader Strike? I have been reading many post from people who says that they include Crusader Strike in their rotation but I always use Hammer of the Righteous. Is Crusader Strike better then Hammer of the Righteous?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Lux
It will matter more when you're at max level, use a slow (2.6 speed) 1H weapon and Crusader Strike in single target situations. HotR in multi-target.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Now now, some people require more thought than others to get the same results we get....lol!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It is fairly safe to mindlessly smash HotR and remove crusader strike from your bar if you are willing to take a small loss to get closer to a super simple 1 button playstyle. Anyone can go to a targeting dummy and see just how little the difference really is.

With a fast tank weapon and the current +20% HotR bonus I think it is better even.

Realistically for CS and HotR to balance right HotR should do ~40-50% CS damage. HotR does more like 80-120% depending on gear/glyph/spec. Hopefully the new Wrath of the Lightbringer will raise CS to a more acceptable level compared to HotR.

But in general, the intent is for Crusader Strike for 1 target. HotR for 2 or more targets.

Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Before today's patch HotR actually hit harder than CS at low AP, ie in 5man. It's counter-intuitive, I know, but that doesn't mean it wasn't reality. Until Vengeance stacked high enough to push more AP, CS was never needed. This was not intended, so I don't know if an adjustment was made in 4.03a or not, but I assume at L85 we'll have enough AP where CS will hit harder than HotR baseline.

Read the tooltips to see the intent. Read your combat log to see what really happened.

Going forward, I expect HotR to be AOE combo-builder, CS single-target, as others said.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I didn't look at any numbers from raid, but with the flat buff to WotL CS should now be over HotR in single target damage, where it belongs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]