To Tank or Not To Tank. That Is the Question

85 Human Paladin
Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous PuGs or....

Okay, here's my question. I'm thinking about going into that big bad scary area of tanking but, to be honest, I don't have the thick skin that a tank needs in terms of dealing with jerks who aren't willing to give me a chance to learn.

What is the best rotation for tanking? What do I do when someone tries to rush an instance when I'm not ready? What is the average velocity of a laden swallow (oops wrong movie).
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Hello there Protector of the Light best way to tank iz to try it out

Serisouly pally tanking atm is the most easy class trow ur shield cosecration

hammer and thats it its not a hard class to figure out tanking and u wont lose aggro

easly just keep in mind bad player will aggro cause some freaks will try to make u work hard

for ur aggro but dont be scared at 80 aggro wont be an issue as soon u hit caped ! GL in ur

wow playing ! FRENCHIE
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
Don't be scared. At low levels - at least as of yesterday - paladin tanking is pretty easy to do. More importantly, don't be intimidated. In low level dungeons, players tend to be more forgiving. If you're forgiving as well, things will be fine. If you can't get the perfect pull, it'll be OK. If you can master the presence of mind to taunt mobs off a DPS, you'll be a hero. Do your best, let people know you're trying your best, be open to advice, and greet challenges from "problem" players with a good grace and a sense of humor. (The best line I've used on a overly zealous DPS to date: "Give me three seconds and I'll make it easy for you." Follow through by following best tanking practices and turning the mob's backs to the rest of the party after you pull. They'll start giving you that sliver of time when they realize the benefits.)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
<ToC 5-man>
HAMMER OOOOOF THEEEEEE RIGHTEOUS!!!
</ToC 5-man>
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The best piece of advice I could offer a new tank would be to download Tidy Plates Threat Plates, so when you have a pack of 10 mobs you can see exactly which mob is smacking that fury warrior.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous PuGs or....

Okay, here's my question. I'm thinking about going into that big bad scary area of tanking but, to be honest, I don't have the thick skin that a tank needs in terms of dealing with jerks who aren't willing to give me a chance to learn.

What is the best rotation for tanking? What do I do when someone tries to rush an instance when I'm not ready? What is the average velocity of a laden swallow (oops wrong movie).

Greetings, noble Arysta, allow me to offer input on your conundrum!

Firstly, if someone rushes off in front of you, even though are you aren't ready to pull, the best thing to do is to let them die, alone and thrashing wildly, and then calmly pull the pack after they have been resurrected. This teaches your companion(s) that you are in charge of their welfare, and they will mostly likely be crushed underfoot if they do not respect that.

As for rotations, you'll want to mash Crusader Strike (or Hammer of the Righteous, if there are many targets) to build Holy Power for Shield of the Righteous. In between your frantic Crusader Strike mashing you will weave in your other abilities, like Judgement, Avenger's Shield, Consecration, and Holy Wrath.
Reply Quote
71 Undead Rogue
Firstly, if someone rushes off in front of you, even though are you aren't ready to pull, the best thing to do is to let them die, alone and thrashing wildly, and then calmly pull the pack after they have been resurrected. This teaches your companion(s) that you are in charge of their welfare, and they will mostly likely be crushed underfoot if they do not respect that.

That only works if your healer is on board for that strat. Unfortunately, my bf is my prot pally alt's healer and no matter how many times I tell him flatly to let that naughty dps die, he will always heal them because he thinks it's 'fun'. /sigh

Back to the OP, leveling tanks is insanely fun. You may not have thick skin now, but you sure will by the time you're done. It took me awhile but I'm pretty comfortable now with chastising naughty dps and keeping them in line (and kicking them if they don't stop it). But instant queues and setting the pace is fun, especially if you're as impatient as I am.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
double post...

Dear MODs a delete button would be great.
Edited by Cardnialsyn on 11/23/2010 2:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't have the thick skin...

Don't tank. We all go through a ton of ridicule to learn how to tank. Even when you do learn how to tank there is always room for improvement, you are always under the microscope in a raid and quite often it is your job to lead and set the pace. As far as a video game goes it's about as high pressure/high responsibility a job as it gets. If you're not able to pick yourself up, dust off and get back to business 1,000 times and still love the job then don't start imo.

Rotation as of yesterday was:

CS-J-CS-(AS or HW)-CS-SotR substitute HotR for CS on multiples.

I'd suggest doing a ton of reading at places like Maintankadin.com and Elitistjerks.com if you do decide to try your hand.
Edited by Cardnialsyn on 11/23/2010 2:30 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]