State of Mind - No

85 Human Priest
What are your thoughts? This talent just seems like a complete waste to me. When Chakra runs out after 30 seconds, u cast it again. Very little mana, insta cast, no big deal.

By not picking this up, I reduce my shadow fiend by 1 minute or my insta cast spells by 7%. Both will be much more important for mana in cata if all reports are true.

The only thing about being able to renew chakra is it gives you a little more control over when you are switching states between boss phases. Still, not worth it IMO.

My talent spec for cata : http://wowtal.com/#k=bv0_hD_4Y.a8t.priest.

BTW - these new talent trees, while nice and beneficial, leave absolutely no option for variety.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
heres a better question. What else is there to spend them on in the holy tree untill you have spent 31 talents in it?
Reply Quote
86 Gnome Priest
And as of today, isn't Chakra 0 cost, off the GCD?

Although, to the second poster's question - surge of throw away every proc?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Chakra is 0 cost.. two talent points being completely wasted.
Reply Quote
80 Undead Priest
Me not having to push that button every 30 seconds, priceless.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest

It's off the GCD, and cost no mana. Macro it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest

/facepalm
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest

/facepalm

Oh sorry, didn't know we were going to be alternating between Serenity and Sanctuary during a typical fight. You use the 2 talent points on State Of Mind then, and I'll have 2 extra to spend somewhere else.
Edited by Ozo on 11/23/2010 7:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Just logged on - did Surge of Light get buffed to include all healing spells for crit tirggers? I thought it was only flash heal crits that triggered it before.

Might be worth it now...
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Just logged on - did Surge of Light get buffed to include all healing spells for crit tirggers? I thought it was only flash heal crits that triggered it before.

Might be worth it now...

No, Surge of Light was nerfed in 4.0 to not proc off "Flash Heal" and instead proc off "Heal". It's basically horrible right now, as there's no reason to cast "Heal", but it might be useful come Cata.
Edited by Ozo on 11/23/2010 6:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I see, its a bit confusing as it words it "if you heal" and not say "if you cast heal".

heal could mean a lot of things :D

So basically SOL has gotten worse now as with the changes to chakra, we only need to cast heal to activate serenity, not utilize it.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Well given that State of Mind is currently completely bugged and does not proc off of all your PoH hits (only one per PoH cast, even after the hotfix tonight), I'll be putting these points back into Tome of Light for sure.

http://wowtal.com/#k=pbjfmPO.a8t.priest.

At least until they fix State of Mind. Then I'll figure something else out.

The only problem I have with macroing Chakra to Smite, PoM, PoH and Heal is that the cast you use to put you into the chakra state doesn't benefit from the chakra bonus, only the spells you cast afterward do. I'd much rather not have to recast chakra every 30 seconds even if it's not an extra spellclick just for that reason.
Edited by Malazee on 11/23/2010 7:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Well given that State of Mind is currently completely bugged and does not proc off of all your PoH hits (only one per PoH cast, even after the hotfix tonight), I'll be putting these points back into Tome of Light for sure.

http://wowtal.com/#k=pbjfmPO.a8t.priest.

At least until they fix State of Mind. Then I'll figure something else out.

I was thinking about something like this:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bMZfurrokrkczoh

Though 60 seconds off Shadowfiend would be nice too.

The only problem I have with macroing Chakra to Smite, PoM, PoH and Heal is that the cast you use to put you into the chakra state doesn't benefit from the chakra bonus, only the spells you cast afterward do. I'd much rather not have to recast chakra every 30 seconds even if it's not an extra spellclick just for that reason.

Not sure what you mean? Could you clarify? Here's what I use (the code might be somewhat outdated, but still works)

#showtooltip Prayer of Healing
/use 13
/cast Chakra
/cast [target=mouseover,exists,help,mod:shift] [help,mod:shift] [target=player,mod:shift] Circle of Healing; [target=mouseover,exists,help] [help] [target=player] Prayer of Healing

I got that on hotkey 4, so 4 is PoH, Shift+4 is Circle, and it uses Chakra + my trinket whenever possible. Since it's off the GCD and uses no mana it will always be up, without having to spend the 2 talent points and without having to worry about refreshing it every 30 seconds. The only drawback is if you plan on using Serenity alot, you might just want to skip macro'ing it (or if exclusively you could always macro it to Heal). Was just giving out ideas though.
Edited by Ozo on 11/23/2010 7:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Regen > recasting Chakra.

Gold star for the OP, imo.

Plus, being able to change chakra states more frequently sounds more beneficial to me.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest

/facepalm

Oh sorry, didn't know we were going to be alternating between Serenity and Sanctuary during a typical fight. You use the 2 talent points on State Of Mind then, and I'll have 2 extra to spend somewhere else.

I apologize, I only just now realized that I quoted the wrong post. That was not quite directed at you.

I don't think there's anything compelling enough to take over State of Mind. While Darkness sounds nice, none of the beta experiences I've read make haste look favorable. I would use those three points to max out Mental Agility and keep State of Mind. Also holy word management is absolutely a factor in a typical boss encounter. Maybe not all of them, but enough to keep State of Mind to offer some extra breathing room and not always having to keep Chakra (Macro'd or not) on cooldown in order to maintain it when I could use it to switch my holy word. While it isn't amazing now as a result of Chakra's reduced cooldown, I don't feel the complaining is warranted or that it's in any serious need of change.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
2/2 Piece of Mind adds felixibility imo.

You can stay in a Chakra state for say 45 seconds and if you decide you want to switch you can; without having to wait for the spell to come off CD. Basically without the talent you are forced into a decision every 30 seconds and are stuck with it for 30 seconds. With the talent you can be more flexible.

Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
For my 31 points, I decided to put 1 point into SoM rather than grab Lightwell. I figure on using PoM state most often (planning to macro it in assuming that doesn't break PoM casting when Chakra isn't available), and I'm likely to cast PoM 3-4 times in 30 seconds, making it extend duration 6-8 seconds which should cover until the next time I cast PoM naturally (instead of trying to time it to land on the 30s boundary, or choose to lose out on the Chakra bonus for 4-5 casts).

I like that a talent is sufficient at less-than-max points, and also optional either direction if other abilities are more or less desired (I believe I could do without Rapid Renewal if I really wanted greater Chakra overlap, and I wouldn't see a big problem if someone valued Lightwell over SoM either).

Going this route, I've decided I get to make Chakra state automatic (with the option to adjust it before a fight via macro swaps for something like tank healing assignment), and accept that will make me a slightly inferior healer to a priest that can master switching it based on the situation.

I'd count all this as successes in the current design intent of multiple viable specs and including performance rewards for mastering more complicated game play.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]