Daily Thread Special Report: Five Years Later

85 Undead Warrior
((THIRD TIME'S THE CHARM, EH YOU FREAKING FORUMS?!))

The entirety of the Daily Thread staff has been hard at work, searching Blue posts, speculations, official timelines, and lore pieces to come up with an explanation that makes sense to you, the RPers of Wyrmrest Accord, to help you better advance your characters. This is a rather important Special Report, considering this affects your RP directly! SO! Here's what we know.

A quest in Hyjal has been used to set the timeline straight, which states: "A decade ago, a great battle took place here on the summit of Mount Hyjal. Archimonde the Defiler commanded a swarm of demons to march upon the World Tree and claim its power for his own." That means the events of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos took place 10 years ago. We know according to official lore and timelines that the events of World of Warcraft started four years after the events of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (which happens one year after Reign of Chaos). For consistency's sake, we'll refer to the Hyjal event taking place in year 20 (as stated in the official timeline).

Year 20 - Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (assault on the World Tree)
Year 21 - Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne
Year 25 - World of Warcraft

Official timelines have stated that the events of World of Warcraft and World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade took a year lore-wise. Let's mark those.

Year 26 - World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade
Year 27 - World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King starts

Thus starts the war between the Alliance and Horde forces versus the Lich King. How long does that last? Well, we're not entirely sure as we have no definitive source. All we can say is it started on Year 27. The expansion has progressed, and we are now 3 years after the start of Wrath of the Lich King, and the world just exploded. So that puts us here.

Year 26 - World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade
Year 27 - World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King starts
Year 30 - The Shattering/World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

That means whatever your character has been doing in the expansion since its start fits very nicely into our present timeframe! Congrats, no need to Retcon there! But what's happened over the course of 3 years, and why is Orgrimmar all metal/Stormwind all expanded?

The events of "The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm" take place sometime after the Lich King dies, as it starts with troops returning from Northrend, and ends with Thrall investigating a disturbance in the Maelstrom. Events that happen in the book include The Elemental Invasion and the burning of Orgrimmar (and its subsequent rebuilding under Garrosh's eye to be less flamable), Thrall making Garrosh Warchief, Cairne's death, and several other situations. This explains most of what's happened on the Horde-side of things.

Remember, though, that five years have been passing. The only thing that is making everything update NOW all at the same time is gameplay limitations. Cataclysmic damages aside (tidal waves, earthquakes, Graymane Wall, certain splittings of certain Barrens), most of the changes in the zones have been happening over the course of those five years, including the expansion of Stormwind Keep, fortifying of Brill, and other such things.

So finally, what does this mean for you and your character logging in today? Technically, no time has passed at all. Deathwing JUST erupted and lit the entirety of the world on fire (hence his clawmarks still on the Stormwind towers), and the only "timeskip" present is the timeskip between servers shutting down, and what your character was doing during the events represented in the cinematic you see when you first log in.

Again, this is after nearly a full day of research on the subject matter and putting our heads together, as well as a few blue posts. There may be some discrepancies, but this was the best we could do. Are there any questions?
Reply Quote
Thank you! This has been very confusing until this post.
Reply Quote
84 Blood Elf Mage
None from me, Kaahn. This is the most sensical statement I've heard all day.
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Hunter
Oh wow, so we are at year 30? Was wondering, thanks!
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Hunter
yay double posts
Edited by Demitri on 11/23/2010 12:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
I'd hug you if you didn't smell like a corpse
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Thank you!
Reply Quote
80 Undead Death Knight
Forums have been a little bombarded lately...

Now we just gotta wait for servers to go live...

%&#*#&$!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Uni paid off!

If anyone has questions, we'll be able to continue research for a while yet. Nethaera also mentioned in a post

We also have a little something else that we hope to post for you all that should help bridge the distance a bit more.

So we'll add that in or attach it to a future Daily Thread when we see it come up!
Reply Quote
so much <3 for you khaan.
Reply Quote
80 Undead Death Knight
And if you have any suggestions, pro tips, questions, comments, concerns, things to say, or topics for us to write about, slide us an email to

tips@thedailythread.net

We do this for you, WrA, so give us something you're interested in and we'll cover it!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
This is the single most helpful thing I've read about this subject. Thank you so much, I was not looking forward to writing years of "What I did during maintnance" backstory! :D
Reply Quote
50 Human Warrior
Thanks! I was rather confused over this timeline.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Thank you!

I've been pretty ticked at the idea that we'd be robbed of a few years of RP. I've been RPing Lorey for shy of two years now (mostly RP, rerolled her half way through that two years) and she started off as a bank toon - like heck I would've seen all of the ways she's grown and developed from back along. She's been a civilian, ran a boxing ring, wielded a sword and board for a while, taken up the cloth, gotten engaged, traveled the world including Stranglethorn, Tanaris and Quel'thalas, stood on some soap boxes, lost her fiance... I honestly can't imagine how she would be if there really was a two year+ gap in time.

/hugs rotters
♥ Thank you. :>
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
But you said five. Thats three years...?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Thanks so much! I was very worried how the timeskip would affect a current RP, but it looks like everything is okay.
Reply Quote
61 Troll Mage
But you said five. Thats three years...?
Five years since launch of vanilla WoW. Theoretically, some of the most minor elemental disturbances were happening even then. Looking back, you see stuff like the Charred Vale in Stonetalon and other places where elementals were just plain stirred up for seemingly no reason. Now we know the reason.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Thank you for this. The information is very helpful... I am still worried that RP will be a mess for awhile as different people do different things regarding the timeline.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Voted for sticky because this thread is @@@!ing awesome.

Thanks for the timesink, Daily Thread peeps!
Reply Quote
ive been wondering about the timeline for awhile
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]