my frist time heroic healing.

84 Draenei Shaman
ok so basicly i am a fresh 80 since yesterday night actully and i tired 2 heroics toc and the culling of strathom and i failed badly at healing my gear was just not up to the task obviously and well i dont know what to do. how do i get better gear if i cant do heroics because my gear is too low to go into heroics. like i dont know what to do right now its quite frusturating and no for the most part whenever i do a reg run i honestly dont recall a time i have wiped lol. unless i did something really stupid.
Reply Quote
80 Orc Shaman
When I first dinged 80 I started by queing as dps with my Elemental offspec. That way I could get into groups as a dps and still roll on the caster mail gear. Then of course you use your JP on the resto gear and not the elemental gear. Be careful though because you may fall in love with Elemental dps like i did and just end up staying with that.

Though with Cata in only 2 weeks I really think it would be best to try to save your jp and worry about gearing up after you are lvl 85.
Reply Quote
Unless you can ensure a good group, run some normal instances for gear before you go into heroics. Or, ask some friends to help you craft some better gear.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
I would suggest dropping money on crafted gear or ilvl 200 BoEs, but with the expansion only two weeks away, it's probably not worth the investment. If you really want to heal things, do some regular dungeons or run with some friends who are willing to wait for your mana (a shame that most pugs aren't willing to IMO). If healing dungeons isn't super important then you could roll elemental or enhance and do some damage. Or you could just troll trade chat for two weeks straight. Totally up to you.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Can you be more specific on what your problem is?

There are a few common issues that new healers stumble upon in Culling of Stratholme, so I'm listing some of them in the hope that one or more were the reasons for your problems. Note that Culling of Stratholme is generally one of the more demanding instances for a new healer (though a reckless tank or DPS can rack up the challenge level of any heroic beyond what it normally is).

First of all, zombies will generally tear down a shaman's Water Shield pretty quickly; if you don't recast it, you'll quickly get mana problems. Use an addon to remind you to keep Water Shield up; also, it can actually be useful to draw zombie attacks to regenerate extra mana. Conversely, if you're getting overwhelmed by zombies to the point of having spell pushback problems, Fire Nova and/or Magma Totem takes care of them pretty easily.

Second, Meathook. If you're getting chain-stunned and aren't prepared for it, then you can get painted into a corner quickly. You only have a few seconds between stuns if they all hit you, so you need to be prepared. The moment a stun wears off, toss a Chain Heal on the tank to top them and any melee off, a Riptide on yourself, and then try to get 1-2 more Healing Surges off before the cooldown of Meathook's stun is up again. When the instance came out first, Meathook was frequently positioned out of LOS of the healer to protect the healer from stuns, but nobody does that anymore.

Third, trash. The Tomb Stalkers have a poison that does a percentage of the tank's health in damage. ANY tank will rapidly lose health if it's left up. Since shamans can't cleanse poison anymore, prepare to spam heal. Bile Golem cast a randomly targeted disease that reduces healing and damage done by 35%; this will seriously nerf your healing output. Be prepared for it, since you can't cleanse it anymore, either. Certain dragonkin types have a void strike that ignores armor and generally takes out a fair chunk of a tank's health -- this is worse because a lot of tanks seem to end up with their backs to them at some point.

On a general note, you should be using a addon/macros that allow for click- or mouseover-healing. It's a significant increase in healing output in triage situations and will probably do more for you than any gear upgrade right now. VuhDo, Healbot, Clique + either Grid or the standard raid frames work for that. You can also look up mouseover macros if you prefer to use the keyboard. It's a bit of a time investment, but well worth it.

Finally, gear. You have gear options without running heroics still. To begin with, there are gems and enchants. Right now, enchants do more for you than they will when you have epics. Pick the ones that give you a lot of mileage per gold invested (such as +28 spellpower to gloves or +18 spirit to boots). You should look into getting reputation gear; many people make the mistake of not getting their reputation up when leveling to 80. Revered faction rewards provide you with item level 200 blues, which is a fair step up over most quest rewards; they also tend to be very well itemized. If you have honor points, then you can get some Wrathful Gladiator items (especially the caster shield is a bargain at 70 honor). While it may say that you need 1800 arena rating, you can actually buy anything except the level 277 weapons and shoulders regardless of any arena rating. PvP gear has some wasted points in resilience, but with such a high item level, it's generally still an upgrade.

Some people who are new to heroics also use flasks -- if your realm is anything like mine, they're dirt cheap right now because supply is exceeding demand. If you don't have money issues, that's an easy way to boost either your throughput or your regeneration in low end gear.

You should also fill your remaining glyph slots. Glyph of Earth Shield, Glyph of Water Shield, Glyph of Healing Stream Totem are just a few that you can get now and that should immediately help you.
Edited by Angelique on 11/23/2010 6:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Angelique pretty much sums up your problems.
A great way to make quick upgrades without spending any gold or JP is simply to do the normal version of the Tournament (the black knight and the damn priestess drops a lot of goodies for the healers ^^).
Then go for normal HoR, PoS and the third one that I never remember its name... any way...
These will net you a good deal of epic gear in the 219 range. This will help you a lot toward gaining good gear to shine in Heroics.

After that, farm up JP up to 4k (or near) and spend your JPs on the 251 Ice crown pieces. One at a time. regain the spend JPs and buy an other one.
On the average an instance will net you 51 JP + 23 for the random. The most expansive pieces for the moment are worth about 1160 JPs and the others are in the 690 range.
So in average, you'll do 10 to 15 randoms per pieces (or about 65 randoms for them all...). With the gold and left over items you'll make. Try to get the 264 boots and 245 bracers from Ice Crown and ToC patterns. That should do it.

But then again, that will take a lot of time. If you're lucky, you migth succeed.
I wish you the best of luck.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
If youve only just hit 80 and cant do heroics yet, just do a few more normal randoms and you will either get better items from the dungeons or get enough JPs to buy some good stuff.

You definately need a weapon and relic upgrade.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

That is so untrue.

Shamans are the easiest healers to gear up.

If you get yourself 2-3 pieces of of pvp gear (which is easy to do at 80, or if you're smart, you'll rack up honor on the way to 80 to buy those).

Put Earth Shield on tank, drop down Healing totem, buy appropriate glyphs and go afk while ES/HT/Riptide HoT do the healing for you. Toss a chain heal in once in a while and you're done.

This, from all accounts I've heard. Shaman's the only healer I don't have (poor guy got left at level 10 when I decided I hated the draenei starting zone), but I'd say Shaman > Druid > Pally > Priest in terms of starting gear ease.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
Your gear isn't the problem. I saw you say that a few times in your post, but you should be able to heal any non icc heroic just fine in the gear you have. If you haven't had enough healing practice, then do regulars before heroics or do heroics as dps until you overgear them. You could use a couple upgrades at your weapon/trinkets, but everything else is 187/200 lvl gear which is the stuff you get in heroics. once you are in full 200 gear, you technically overgear the non toc/icc heroics.
Reply Quote
So what about in a heroic like Ahn'Kahet? I healed my first three heroics the other day and while the first two went great, Ahn'kahet was a bit of a nightmare. Was it the nerfs, or do I just need to adjust my healing? The spider casters were knocking the tank down to 20% in one hit, and the poison damage that the entire party had took that down to nothing fast. While the situation seems designed for people to use their interrupts, I realize people are used to just being healed through it and that healers have successfully been able to do so, so what's the trick?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
When I was new, what I did was instead of queuing for a random, I queued for normal ToC, FoS, PoS, and HoR. You can get a lot of epics that way and some decent experience at healing. Once you feel like you understand what to do, queue specifically for the heroics that correspond to the low-level dungeons, like Utgard Keep and the Nexus. When you feel like you can handle those, move up a little. Then after that, start queuing random.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Also, your spec and glyphs are very wrong haha. This is the correct talent and glyph build:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuluhed/primacy/talent/primary
Edited by Primacy on 11/25/2010 3:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
The spider casters were knocking the tank down to 20% in one hit, and the poison damage that the entire party had took that down to nothing fast. While the situation seems designed for people to use their interrupts, I realize people are used to just being healed through it and that healers have successfully been able to do so, so what's the trick?

You HAVE to interrupt the spiders. They do like 40k damage, no joke. I don't trust anyone in my randoms to reliably interrupt, so I use my arena macros to set my focus target to the spider, and then watch for it to cast and in between heals, I hit my macro that interrupts my focus target with Wind Shear.

/focus

and

#showtooltip Wind Shear
/cast [target=focus, exists, nodead] wind shear
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
So what about in a heroic like Ahn'Kahet? I healed my first three heroics the other day and while the first two went great, Ahn'kahet was a bit of a nightmare. Was it the nerfs, or do I just need to adjust my healing? The spider casters were knocking the tank down to 20% in one hit, and the poison damage that the entire party had took that down to nothing fast. While the situation seems designed for people to use their interrupts, I realize people are used to just being healed through it and that healers have successfully been able to do so, so what's the trick?

The poison needs to be spam-cleansed, starting with yourself. Aside from the damage, it also makes ability cost more mana/rage/energy/etc.

Shadow Blast does 80% of max health damage, but it IS reduced by tanking talents and shadow resistance. So, first of all, put up your resistance aura. Make sure to have three holy power built up when Shadow Blast hits; Word of Glory is a near-guaranteed automatic crit heal at low health (not to mention that it's instant). Then spam FoL to top the tank off. For that matter, keep the tank topped off all the time, or she may not survive the hit.

Advanced techniques: Aura Mastery doubles Shadow Resistance and greatly reduces the damage. Holy Wrath and Hammer of Justice will interrupt the cast. If you have multiple spell flingers, taunt one off the tank and eat the blast yourself to split the damage (optionally use Divine Shield). Use Hand of Sacrifice to take some of the damage yourself.

If you aren't yet fully comfortable with paladin healing, just stick to straight up healing the damage rather than trying to get fancy and fumbling your abilities in the process, though.
Reply Quote
I think that most dungeon drops are going to be useful only until something really good comes along. Run dungeons as dps and buy level 251 healing gear with justice points. Get into an ICC group as second healer. You need to be learning those fights and good gear drops there. At this point most 80's are insanely geared and don't really need anything that drops off the first 4 bosses anyway.

Run dungeons as a healer with guildies. They have a stake in getting you fully geared and developing you as a healer. Pug groups don't . Find a mentor to help you learn the ropes.

Dealing with poison and curses is easy with the right addons. I use decursive. You can make this one of your options in healbot (it's listed as a macro). You can easily remove any effects immediately. Your party will greatly appreciate this!
Edited by Preditorr on 11/25/2010 3:59 AM PST
Reply Quote

The poison needs to be spam-cleansed, starting with yourself. Aside from the damage, it also makes ability cost more mana/rage/energy/etc.

Shadow Blast does 80% of max health damage, but it IS reduced by tanking talents and shadow resistance. So, first of all, put up your resistance aura. Make sure to have three holy power built up when Shadow Blast hits; Word of Glory is a near-guaranteed automatic crit heal at low health (not to mention that it's instant). Then spam FoL to top the tank off. For that matter, keep the tank topped off all the time, or she may not survive the hit.

Advanced techniques: Aura Mastery doubles Shadow Resistance and greatly reduces the damage. Holy Wrath and Hammer of Justice will interrupt the cast. If you have multiple spell flingers, taunt one off the tank and eat the blast yourself to split the damage (optionally use Divine Shield). Use Hand of Sacrifice to take some of the damage yourself.

If you aren't yet fully comfortable with paladin healing, just stick to straight up healing the damage rather than trying to get fancy and fumbling your abilities in the process, though.

Thank you! This is so helpful, you have no idea. I'm still learning all the miscellaneous stuff to work into things, such as hand of sacrifice, but it shouldn't take too long. I just never really needed them before now.

I do try to keep up on that specific batch of poison (I really hate it on my rogue), but I wasn't finding the time to cleanse more than me and the tank before I had to get back to healing.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Thank you! This is so helpful, you have no idea. I'm still learning all the miscellaneous stuff to work into things, such as hand of sacrifice, but it shouldn't take too long. I just never really needed them before now.

I do try to keep up on that specific batch of poison (I really hate it on my rogue), but I wasn't finding the time to cleanse more than me and the tank before I had to get back to healing.

A lot of it is simply experience. I've been healing this instance for two years now, going back to when I was farming the Skirt of the Old Kingdom for my priestess, so I pretty much know every damage pattern, special ability, etc. by heart and am prepared for those (such as dispelling the Eyes in the Dark debuff on Eyes of Taldaram to not get counterspelled). I generally have Spellflingers (and later in the instance, Twilight Worshippers) targeted so that I know when they cast their Shadow Blast/Flamestrike. Give it a few runs and all this will become second nature.

Edit: Also, be careful with abilities that can kill yourself (Hand of Sacrifice, taunting off other party members as a healer) until you're confident in your ability to stay alive under pressure and have sufficient gear to handle that. If you want to play around with Hand of Sacrifice at low gear levels in particular, you may want to macro Divine Protection to it, since you'll have relatively little use for that otherwise.
Edited by Angelique on 11/25/2010 6:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Run dungeons as dps and buy level 251 healing gear with justice points.

Keep running as a healer. Your gear is fine for pre-toc heroics. Just ask the tanks to go a bit slower. Might as well get them used to cataclysm dungeons anyhow. And save your justice points, because soon you'll be able to get quest greens better than that 251 stuff.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]