Gearing for Raids in Pandaria - Enhancement

18 Human Paladin
Excellent guide. I do wonder though if that hit cap is for melee hit (which I presume it is) or spell hit, since I currently have a 1768 hit rating and I still haven't capped it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
its for spell hit cap...don't try and be melee hit capped
Reply Quote
18 Human Paladin
Ahh. Thanks a lot... Time to cap expertise then :D
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Okay...so I haven't read entire thread. Curious about exp cap...with unleash rage it's supposed to be 18/18 but I have 18/18 and there is still dodge chance?

Also why spell hit cap? Which abilities does it govern specifically on hit? Windfury, flame shock, searing totem?

Sorry...new to enhancement, normally resto but it fun DPS and I do 11-13k DPS so far.
Edited by Zerhule on 12/27/2010 11:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Spell hit affects everything except Auto Attacks, Windfury, Stormstrike and Lava Lash. Every other source of damage (including those that work off those abilities) are based on spell hit.

Expertise cap is 26/26 which is 541 for most races if you have Unleashed Rage... this only applies to boss level mobs in raids or level 83s.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
12/27/2010 1:45 PMPosted by Ashunera
Spell hit affects everything except Auto Attacks, Windfury, Stormstrike and Lava Lash. Every other source of damage (including those that work off those abilities) are based on spell hit.

Expertise cap is 26/26 which is 541 for most races if you have Unleashed Rage... this only applies to boss level mobs in raids or level 83s.

Thanks, damn elitist jerks. Okay...still got alot of hit to gain.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
You mention at one point that Kaleki Cloak has both hit and expertise. I may have at some point, but it doesn't now. It's hit/mastery.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
12/28/2010 3:36 AMPosted by Fujinn
You mention at one point that Kaleki Cloak has both hit and expertise. I may have at some point, but it doesn't now. It's hit/mastery.

I noticed that as well, I went with the softwind cloak cause it has more hit and I reforged the haste.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Report to make this a sticky! great guide
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Great guide! Thank you for the info
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
12/28/2010 3:36 AMPosted by Fujinn

It was probably hit/expertise on beta (at least that's what I remember seeing at that time), or I might've just made a mistake. It obviously does not have expertise on it on live, so I fixed that. It's still the best option pre-raiding, and probably the best option until heroic raids.

Made a few more updates, I believe beyond any reasonable doubt that Darkmoon Card: Hurricane is our second best trinket, Fluid Death being the clear winner for your first slot. Unheeded Warning is TERRIBLE. Pretty much every blue item level 333+ agility trinket out there is better.

Oh and thanks to everyone for pointing out the mistakes, hopefully it's becoming more and more accurate and useful.
Edited by Ashunera on 12/28/2010 3:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
So...i just picked up a dagger called "biting wind" from vortex pinnacle heroic version dropping from the first boss. I looked at it and noticed it didn't have the 2-100 wpn dmg crap most caster weapons have now and i looked at the other stats on it weren't that bad. I used it for the rest of the heroic and didn't notice much of a dmg difference until I almost pulled 20K dps on Asim...but this was with BL and other raid buffs.

So after heroic i tried to compare these 3 weapon combo's: melee/melee with WF/FT, caster/melee with FT/FT, caster/melee with FT/WF

Well they're all cutting it close to the same dps, too close to call with my recount... would any1 be able to run these numbers?
Edited by Thunderfoott on 12/29/2010 3:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Edit - Nevermind, armory is bugged, showing higher stats than it really has.

It's likely exactly as you've experienced - a toss up. Increase your gear level by a tier, and a weapon like that will surely pull ahead.
Edited by Ashunera on 12/29/2010 3:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Sticky this please.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Shazaaam!
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Shaman
You will receive a thumbs up from the Omashu.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
12/29/2010 3:36 AMPosted by Ashunera
Edit - Nevermind, armory is bugged, showing higher stats than it really has.

It's likely exactly as you've experienced - a toss up. Increase your gear level by a tier, and a weapon like that will surely pull ahead.

I see that, its actually 258-479 weapon dmg, (204.7 damage per second) all the other stats are the same.

But I'm still a bit confused, why would a caster weapon "push ahead" as my gear goes up rather than another melee weapon? I would like to hear more detail in this. I know theres a lot of multiplying going with our mastery, Mental quickness and other various talents. Will there be a point where we should value mastery over agil?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I can't give you exact numbers, as it will change depending on your gear, but the more mastery you get, the less valuable your physical sources of damage become. For example, when I hit level 85 and was doing dungeons and heroics in greens, melee might be 20-25% of my damage. In my current gear, it's usually around 15%, and that's only going to go down as you gain more mastery. Considering Mastery is on par with Agility, we're going to have a ton of it, making physical damage very irrelevant.

A slow agility main hand gives us more Windfury and Stormstrike damage, as well as a slightly higher Maelstrom Weapon proc rate, but the value of the first two is diminished as our mastery goes up.

Flametongue Weapon should already be doing more than Windfury for you if you're running WF/FT, so the only purpose of Windfury is more maelstrom procs... which it can give you regardless of the damage it does. Our main hand damage does only that - affects Windfury damage and half of Stormstrike, which isn't very much. With that portion of our damage diminished by mastery, the spell power starts to affect our off-hand's Flametongue and all of our spells, and Searing Totem more than a bit of weapon damage ever will. It's just not worth making the switch until mastery pushes your physical damage into the background. I can't tell you exactly when that is, but a simulator might be able to - EnhSim can be found here: http://enhsim.codeplex.com/
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
good deal, that makes perfect sense. Basically, a mastery cap where eventually that huge boost of SP is going to add up(or multiply) from mastery to point where all our physical damage and lava lash is going to bite the dust when comparing to our physical/spell dmg ratio. Throwing out a chunk of physical dmg for a chunk of spell dmg.

I'll try and figure out what this cap is when i decide to get this simulator running.

Thank you very much for this link. This thread has been very useful :)
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
But the damage difference is definately noticeable with trash mobs when all our AoE is spell dmg.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]