New to healing...advice?

7 Tauren Priest
I've played on and off since Vanilla, but never really played a healing role. At the time of this post my Tauren Priest is only level 7 but I plan on taking it to end-game. What's some advice experienced healers can give a healing newbie for the long road ahead? I plan on speccing my priest in Discipline if that helps. Thanks for any advice.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Most of us dont know how to heal anymore. (It changed)

The only advice we can give right now is don't listen to the jack-holes.

Keep your tank up... and your group mostly up. You set the pace so if they pull too much too fast be open with your group and tell them that.

You have a full array of tools to heal with. Make use of them.

Also having a decent UI or addon makes life EASIER.
Reply Quote
12 Troll Shaman
Read blog posts and good forum posts about the class and an analysis of the skills and changes.

Get addons, the ones that are constantly seen on the UI's of the best healers are ones like Grid, Clique, and other various popular mods. Learn your bindings, keep an open eye out on your surroundings.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I've played on and off since Vanilla, but never really played a healing role. At the time of this post my Tauren Priest is only level 7 but I plan on taking it to end-game. What's some advice experienced healers can give a healing newbie for the long road ahead? I plan on speccing my priest in Discipline if that helps. Thanks for any advice.

Don't. DPS for a while. At least until groups are able to clue themselves in about their own invincibility (or lack thereof). Until that happens, it will be a miserable task.

But don't take my word for it because I HATE the way healing works right now. A giant LEAP BACKWARDS towards Vanilla. Despite what the rose-colored-glass-wearing-nostagists will tell you, healers were few and far between in Vanilla. The boards were full of miserable [insert healing class here]. Thankfully, the Godzilla of game design has seen fit to take us back. Joy.

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Its nothing like Vanilla. at all.. not even close. BC would be the easiest comparison, but a lot more balanced and less spamming single spells or class stacking. Basically they took the best of both wrath (class balance and uniqueness) and BC (mana mattering and healing style) and thats the cata model. Vanilla plays no part at all into cata in any shape or form.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Most of us dont know how to heal anymore. (It changed)

The only advice we can give right now is don't listen to the jack-holes.

Keep your tank up... and your group mostly up. You set the pace so if they pull too much too fast be open with your group and tell them that.

You have a full array of tools to heal with. Make use of them.

Also having a decent UI or addon makes life EASIER.

This.

Don't be surprised if ya get kicked every once in a while as well; I've been healing for a while, and have gotten decent at it, and got kicked last night 'cause the tank was pulling way too much aggro, and of course we get blamed when it all falls apart.

Eventually every new healer finds out what works for him/her, and go with it, and have fun!
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Queue with friends when doing dungeons. LFD is a double edged sword to healers. Fast queues but moronic participants that will shove the responsibility of a wipe on your shoulders 100% of the time.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
The best advice I can give is to go through your spellbook and talent tree and be very critical about what spell should be used in what situation. Healing is now entirely about triage, and if you can identify the situation and which spell is called for, things will stay alive. Your healing priority should always be: self, tank, DPS.

Specific to priest healing, you're going to start off using Power Word: Shield as your main tank heal (absorb), with renew (HoT) and Flash Heal (direct heal) to fill in the times when the Weakened Soul debuff prevents a new shield from being cast. When you get it, Prayer of Healing is a decent raid heal.

Welcome to healing, the best part of the game :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]