Holy Shock

(Locked)

90 Draenei Paladin
Given the recent nerf to Holy Shock, I suggest the following changes be made to the name and description of this ability:

Holy Wet Bandaid

Press this button to generate Holy Power and receive no other benefit worth mentioning.
85 Tauren Paladin
Given the recent nerf to Holy Shock, I suggest the following changes be made to the name and description of this ability:

Holy Wet Bandaid

Press this button to generate Holy Power and receive no other benefit worth mentioning.

I'll bite.

So you're suggesting that HS isn't worth pressing despite that it:

Gives you a temporary buff.
Generates HP.
Edited by Practical on 11/24/2010 11:19 AM PST
90 Draenei Paladin
I'll bite.
Generates HP.

No, I'm saying it's ONLY worth pressing because it generates Holy Power (and to a lesser extent the buff).

Holy Shock is/was the core of Holy Paladin healing, and it now heals for about as much as the PotI self-heal... and only slightly more than the self-heal for judging; both of which are passive heals you receive for performing another action.

Similarly, the heal from HS is so small it is pretty much incidental to the fact that you're generating Holy Power... hence my sarcastic OP.
85 Troll Shaman
Even if all Holy Shock did was spend a GCD to generate a charge of Holy Power, the change to Light of Dawn to work with Holy Power has increased the value of that.

However, it also heals for about the same amount as the initial heal from Riptide (not big, but not totally negligible either) and can be talented to proc Infusion of Light and Denounce. I'm sure most Holy paladins don't really care about Denounce, but IoL is very nice now that it works with Divine Light.

It's still quite a useful ability.
85 Troll Shaman
Holy Shock is/was the core of Holy Paladin healing

That's the problem. Having the core of a healing spec built around a powerful, inexpensive, short-cooldown, instant cast ability that generates multiple useful secondary effects in addition to a strong heal was a very serious balance problem waiting to happen, especially in PvP. It made paladins very mobile, very efficient, and very difficult to counter compared to other healers.
90 Draenei Paladin
That's the problem. Having the core of a healing spec built around a powerful, inexpensive, short-cooldown, instant cast ability that generates multiple useful secondary effects in addition to a strong heal was a very serious balance problem waiting to happen, especially in PvP. It made paladins very mobile, very efficient, and very difficult to counter to other healers.

Powerful is a relative term. HS healed for 7-8k for me pre-nerf. When non-tank health pools are 60k+, it wouldn't have felt nearly as powerful; at 4.5k, it'll feel downright weak.

If paladins were too mana efficient because of Holy Shock, why not look at the mana cost?

If an extra 3k healing every six seconds made paladins too mobile, tough cookies.

If this was done entirely because of PvP, where's the consideration for PvE?
90 Human Paladin
I would have to agree that Blizzard hates Shockadons. Now they can be called what?

They didn't nerf the damage, only the healing. Shockadins got a buff with the Exorcism damage increase.

Woot woot.
85 Goblin Priest
3 ticks of penance now outheals holy shock. Sometimes. Holy shock is officially worthless. It should never have been the core of paladin healing either way.
100 Human Paladin
I'll bite.
Generates HP.

No, I'm saying it's ONLY worth pressing because it generates Holy Power (and to a lesser extent the buff).

Holy Shock is/was the core of Holy Paladin healing, and it now heals for about as much as the PotI self-heal... and only slightly more than the self-heal for judging; both of which are passive heals you receive for performing another action.

Holy Shock is still a mana efficient instant spell and better than its old form in every way. It would be best to count your blessings instead of complain about every little thing :)

Similarly, the heal from HS is so small it is pretty much incidental to the fact that you're generating Holy Power... hence my sarcastic OP.

This is incorrect holy shock was not a core ability until WotlK. It was a 30s Cooldown until TBC and then was reduced to a 15s cooldown. When WotlK hit it was reduced to a 5/6s cooldown but still healed for little and was very costly.

85 Tauren Priest
If paladins were too mana efficient because of Holy Shock, why not look at the mana cost?

If an extra 3k healing every six seconds made paladins too mobile, tough cookies.

If this was done entirely because of PvP, where's the consideration for PvE?

My best guess is that it was done in order to move it away from being the button you want to use on cooldown, no matter what.

3 ticks of penance now outheals holy shock. Sometimes. Holy shock is officially worthless. It should never have been the core of paladin healing either way.

Penance channels for 2 seconds and has a 10 second cooldown. Holy Shock is instant, generates 1 Holy Power, and has a 6 second cooldown. I think it's fair that Penance does more healing.
85 Tauren Paladin
I'll bite.
Generates HP.

Aside from the fact it's a heal worth hitting, and that it provides a buff I think I'm just going to write off whatever you're saying as QQ.

You're not providing any valid points. I definitely feel the difference in HS, but that doesn't mean that it's not worth hitting or that it's a bad spell.

Lets weigh the healing versus the possible healing and utility it provides:

Generates 1 Holy Power, which can either be used on WoG or LoD.
Generates Infusion of Light (Upon crit or not, I forget), which reduces your HL to practically .8 seconds.

That said considering how powerful HS was, the overal value in one single spell incredibly OP.
85 Goblin Priest

Penance channels for 2 seconds and has a 10 second cooldown. Holy Shock is instant, generates 1 Holy Power, and has a 6 second cooldown. I think it's fair that Penance does more healing.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. I thought it was obvious, but sarcasm doesn't always convey well over the internets. Holy shock, even nerfed, even if it gets nerfed more, is still incredibly good.
85 Blood Elf Warlock
It's crap and heals for less then HL now. That said, people are still going to hit it on cd anyway because it generates HP and for the possible IoL proc. But the heal itself is terrible.
85 Dwarf Paladin
Holy Wet Noodle.

Generates HP and has the same effect as a wet noodle being slapped across the face.
Edited by Calsun on 11/24/2010 3:09 PM PST
85 Draenei Paladin
I dunnooo, but Holy Shock was much more gratifying before.

I was watching the numbers and Holy Shock now heals for about as much as 1 charge of holy power. (1 charge is about 500 healing, Holy Shock is about 540) It feels kinda wimpy.

In my prot spec I have 5100 health and 540/5100 is about 11% of my total health when tanking. Is it supposed to be that weak?

I don't know how to fit, but Holy Shock doesn't feel very shocking. I think it was too powerful in PvP before, but now it feels lackluster in PvE.

(note: I hope this is relevant at 80, if the ratios of healing numbers are constant.)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]