Guarded by the Light nerf way to high

85 Draenei Paladin
I solo things mostly in my prot spec. That's what I like to do on this paladin. When they nerfed the talents associated with WoG, I was a bit upset, as that would affect my soloing. I could understand the Protector of the Innocent, that was OP, at least for Holy. However, I'm baffled by how much Guarded By the Light was nerfed. Let me give you an example. I solo parts of Kara every week. This time, I got Wizard of Oz, having one-shotted Moroes and Attumen. I got owned. I used every cooldown I had besides LoH and Corroded skeleton key, and I died both times when Dorothee was at 50% health.
Why did they have to nerf Guarded by the Light? It was deep in Prot, so far out of range for Holy. I think they should put in a talent designed specifically for soloing, so precise it can't be abused anywhere else, but still useful for us who solo old raids.

BTW, it's not like my gear is terrible, so I don't think that's my problem.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You should actually Log in and test this nerf for yourself. WoG heals for about the same currently as it did before the patch.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
WoG got a net buff so the heal amount is close to the same.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Rogue
It's probably a combination of the Holy Shield change and minor reduction of Word of Glory. Also, if you relied on Protector of the Innocent then that would be the major contributor to your problem.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
The nerf to Protector of the Innocent is the real culprit.

It cuts down your heals when soloing old content by about 15-20%.

Kind of an unjustified kick in the nuts on blizz's part really.

PotI was a very justified nerf.
Reply Quote
80 Undead Rogue
Protector of the Innocent was overpowered for Holy paladins in PvP, no doubt. But for Prot PvP, it filled that huge void created by our weak dps.

Blizzard should have allowed Prot to keep it in some form or another. It made Prot a bit harder to kill in 1 on 1 situations, but in large scale fights like WG and half our battlegrounds, it wouldn't save a paladin from getting killed just as fast.

Huge mistake on Blizzard's part.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Protector of the Innocent was overpowered for Holy paladins in PvP, no doubt. But for Prot PvP, it filled that huge void created by our weak dps.

Blizzard should have allowed Prot to keep it in some form or another. It made Prot a bit harder to kill in 1 on 1 situations, but in large scale fights like WG and half our battlegrounds, it wouldn't save a paladin from getting killed just as fast.

Huge mistake on Blizzard's part.

No.
Reply Quote
80 Undead Rogue
I hear posting one word answers to an argument is effective. How about some facts, thoughts, or observations on your part that backs your claims?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
1 HoPo WoG's for 5k+ heals. Essentially, a prot pally could cast a 5k heal every 3 seconds and no one could do anything about it.

WoG is still very useful, but the tie-in with PoI was a huge crutch in PvP as all you had to do was spam it every time you generated a Holy Power.

This number was also significantly higher for Holy Pallies as well since they get really strong scaling with their WoG.
Reply Quote
80 Undead Rogue
I already responded to people talking about WoG and PoI, our dps is weak, it takes prot paladins longer to kill many classes than a lot of melee dps. The extra heals enabled prot to last through the lack of damage.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I already responded to people talking about WoG and PoI, our dps is weak, it takes prot paladins longer to kill many classes than a lot of melee dps. The extra heals enabled prot to last through the lack of damage.

Honestly...I am not even going to entertain this argument. If a PvPer can't see how PotI was VERY OP something is wrong.

Doesn't give protection the right to heal through everything without wasting a single drop of mana.

That. We shouldn't be semi immortal.
Edited by Xayton on 11/24/2010 11:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
Um hello? Prot Pallys aren't supposed to rely on mana anymore, why do you think we have Judgments of the Just?

I agree POTI was WAY to powerful for Holy, but it was something that both Prot and Ret relied on to stay up.
Reply Quote
Um hello? Prot Pallys aren't supposed to rely on mana anymore, why do you think we have Judgments of the Just?

I agree POTI was WAY to powerful for Holy, but it was something that both Prot and Ret relied on to stay up.
You shouldn't have to rely on mana for your DAMAGING ABILITIES.

Been able to heal through a hell of a lot of damage without expending any mana upon it is ridiculous.

We give up or highest damaging ability to heal. Its an even trade.

But you're a mage, you wouldn't want that pesky prot pally to be the only spec in the game that stands a chance against you, would you?
Edited by Bullwurk on 11/24/2010 12:01 PM PST
Reply Quote

You shouldn't have to rely on mana for your DAMAGING ABILITIES.

Been able to heal through a hell of a lot of damage without expending any mana upon it is ridiculous.

That makes little sense, so you give up hitting like a truck to become an indestructible tank.

Sounds perfectly balanced, yes lets have WoG heal through everything for paladins.

In fact, lets revert the nerf to self healing for warriors and rogues, I'm sure they were perfectly balanced taking on 5-6 people without breaking a sweat by themselves.

SHOTR doesn't hit like a truck in PVP, it certainly doesn't hit as hard as those Arcane Blasts or Ice lances you mages like to throw around.

Even with a 3 Holy Power Word of Glory, prot was giving up the ability to actually pressure anything through damage. It was mainly used when you're being focused. The heal was, and still is, not significant.

The only reason I even use it in PvE is for the shield I get when I am over-healed by it.
Edited by Bullwurk on 11/24/2010 12:06 PM PST
Reply Quote

That makes little sense, so you give up hitting like a truck to become an indestructible tank.

Sounds perfectly balanced, yes lets have WoG heal through everything for paladins.

In fact, lets revert the nerf to self healing for warriors and rogues, I'm sure they were perfectly balanced taking on 5-6 people without breaking a sweat by themselves.

SHOTR doesn't hit like a truck in PVP, it certainly doesn't hit as hard as those Arcane Blasts or Ice lances you mages like to throw around.

Even with a 3 Holy Power Word of Glory, prot was giving up the ability to actually pressure anything through damage. It was mainly used when you're being focused. The heal was, and still is, not significant.

The only reason I even use it in PvE is for the shield I get when I am over-healed by it.
I'm pretty sure Potl wasn't insignificant when you can spam 1 HoPo WoG back to back and heal yourself enough to maintain through a good amount of damage.

And yes I used overexaggeration to explain the trade-off, and it is obvious mages do a lot of damage, thank you for pointing out the obvious. But you obviously are completely ignorant to how powerful Potl was.

There is a reason they nerfed healers instant cast healing.

Yes that 3K heal every 5 seconds is enough to withstand being focused by 4 other people.......lol get out.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]