Hunter pet names now unique!?

Please tell me it isn't true blizzard! Please tell me this is just a horrible bug! I just tamed a mastiff pet today and went to rename it....only to get the error message "That name is reserved. Enter a new name". Please tell me this is a bug...if not...then wtf? What is the point for such a useless change?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Certain names are reserved, such as some copyrighted names or names of prominent NPCs.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
here's a list of reserved pet names

http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=134
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
Pets can always have the names of your other pets, at least, so it's gotta be a 'popular' name... I had no problem naming my Winna's Kitten "Cringer", despite my green-n-yellow raptor also bearing that name.

...and, no doubt, several other hunters before me on the realm taming it & naming it the same. If they make that name 'reserved', they may as well make it untamable again.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
or you tried to name it something vulgar and it isnt allowed v-v
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
I can't name my mastiff Princess :(
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid

That's it. I'm deleting my hunter.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I could name mine Mabari, so it's all good. =P
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
I named my fox FoxNews. I'm content.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage

That, of course, doesn't even come close to covering the full scope of 'reserved' names.

I just wish they'd tell us why.
Reply Quote
84 Night Elf Hunter

That, of course, doesn't even come close to covering the full scope of 'reserved' names.

I just wish they'd tell us why.

I tried to name my turtle MrTurtle, which is reserved. After a few minutes of thinking I realized it's very similar to 'Mr. T'...I would imagine most reserved names are things like that.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I couldn't name my seagull "Frenchfries".
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid

"Princess" is a title (literally, opposed to as an in-game title that you can earn), much like King, President, etc, which you are not allowed to name your pet. A while ago I had an Eagle that I tried to name "Scout" which didn't work either because it's a horde pvp rank.

My solution? I named it Scøut instead. Your solution? I recommend Prìncess ( look at the ì ).

Since your using the word as a name instead of a title, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be against the naming policy, just don't name it PrìncessMagi or anything like that, since the name there would be 'Magi' and Prìncess would be used as a title.

I couldn't name my seagull "Frenchfries".

Blizz only accepts Freedomfries xD

but yea, do the same thing with the i in fries: ì.
Reply Quote
80 Troll Hunter
LOL my crab's name is GhostCrawler never had a problem naming that.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I could not name my seagull "SirCrapsALot", "SirPoopsALot", or "SirDumpsALot". I was disappointed.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
If you could use copyrighted names there'd be a lot of crocs named Elvis.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
11/24/2010 10:23 AMPosted by Haarits
Pets can always have the names of your other pets, at least, so it's gotta be a 'popular' name... I had no problem naming my Winna's Kitten "Cringer", despite my green-n-yellow raptor also bearing that name.

...and, no doubt, several other hunters before me on the realm taming it & naming it the same. If they make that name 'reserved', they may as well make it untamable again.
Lol I named mine "Battlecat".
Reply Quote
89 Night Elf Hunter
Yeah I wanted to name my new Spirt wolf McQuade would not let me I dont like what they done I can understand the stupid poop joke names but whats wrong with Mcquade
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
When my hunter got a chimaera I wanted to name it Shakespeare but couldn't, but it let me name it Beethoven, I find that odd,
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]