My Opnion of Prot PvP in 4.0.3a

85 Human Paladin
Sooo, its still pretty good. Arenas will likely be a totally different story but BGs at the moment are still pretty solid. Despite the WoG nerf (PoI) i still heal a good amount. My flash heals are good too. It would be nice if Crusade was on gain honor or xp instead of kill, then i would have some pretty nice heals in bgs to easily make up for the PoI nerf.

Oh, save one issue. I don't know if i just got really unlucky tonight, or it was just the shear volume of mages in bgs, but there were some mages i just couldn't touch. even fire mages. before today i wasn't having very many problems with mages. Avengers Shield is just plain sweet, and if grand crusader procs once or twice its over. but tonight i was having a real problem with them.

other then that i find prot to be pretty solid in BGs still. I'll give ret a run over the long weekend.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
i thought it was pretty awful tbh, before today i pretty much only played prot in 4.0 pvp and it was op as hell (unremovable snare, no dr silence) and those were rightfully fixed, however my crusader strike damage just hit the crapper for some reason today which is weird because wrath of the lightbringer was changed to make it do more :/

oh well ret is way better than it was before and i like playing ret better anyways as i dont think prot specs should be viable in pvp

I agree 100% that last night in pvp was awful. But there is no reason it should not be, it seems though that the devs agree with you :\.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
i thought it was pretty awful tbh, before today i pretty much only played prot in 4.0 pvp and it was op as hell (unremovable snare, no dr silence) and those were rightfully fixed, however my crusader strike damage just hit the crapper for some reason today which is weird because wrath of the lightbringer was changed to make it do more :/

oh well ret is way better than it was before and i like playing ret better anyways as i dont think prot specs should be viable in pvp

Yeah I was a protaholic for a while. I dig the ret pvp more now. That new cleanse an immobilizing effect talent is boss. I put freedom on my arms warrior buddy now instead and we both eat everyone for dinner.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
What am i doing different then? i was top 5 damage and/or hks in most of my bgs last night.

maybe its my shoulders.... thats it, its gotta be my shoulders.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
in BGs last night, I noticed my damage output was significantly down overall, and healing was actually up.

As a result, I felt my survivability was greater, although at the same time I got burst down at times faster than I ever had before, which was odd...

I lost a 1v1 vs a shadow priest, which had not happened before. Battle took a long time and came down to unlucky Grand Crusader procs (lack of). I was shocked, but happy for the challenge.

What remained consistent was my wings getting stolen on almost every cast. yay.

I am still enjoying prot pvp, but for the foreseeable future, I am going to be moving to more defensive/flag carrying roles and less the top bursting damage dealer like I was. makes sense, although ill miss the ownage. :)
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
What am i doing different then? i was top 5 damage and/or hks in most of my bgs last night.

maybe its my shoulders.... thats it, its gotta be my shoulders.

you didnt play last night...or at least your talents are still reset from yesterday's patch. log in and play today and let us know what you think. The new patch/content was applied yesterday and things have changed.

ps. love the shoulders
Edited by Tyefang on 11/24/2010 7:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
no, i certainly played last night. from about 7:00pm pst to midnight or so. but yeah, looks like my talent trees haven't updated. weird. I'll let it idle in game here a bit and see if that forces an update. primary is tank, secondary is pvp.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Yeah Thunder, I should have figured that. :) I see now that your log shows you were on.

Hey, did you notice WoG able to cast off the GCD...or while cc'd? or not restricted by stun or silence?

I can't be sure right now but last night it seemed I could cast WoG while being hammered on, where before I was always spamming the button hoping to get the cast off. Seemed last night when I pressed WoG I got a quicker more reliable response.

Everything is keybound for me so it was difficult for me to see what was happening. Just noticed it casting on demand more frequently when in heavy combat.

Did you notice anything different? I am going to test it out again later today with buttons on screen so I can see.

Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
re: WoG

I did not notice that. but its gotten to the point now where i just mash that key untill i see my global cooldown bar show up and dont really pay attention to my control status. i'll check it out tonight.

re: damage vs healing

i also noticed my damage was down a bit and my healing was up a fair amount. im not complaining though, as everyone's damage seems to be down a bit.
Reply Quote
89 Tauren Paladin
Im not loving it.

I mean its not bad but the nerf to my healing was one thing. We had way OP self healing i get it. But why did you have to nerf my damage. I enjoy playing prot offensively. I love every second of being in my opponents face and hitting them with 3HP SotR's with wings up for 18k+.

Now it just seems like my damage is lack luster i go through all the trouble to set up a 3hp SotR with wings and hit for 5k. Pop divine plea and hit for another 5k zZzZz Thats if im not getting kited and can get on top of them. I dont know whats changed but i feel like im getting kited WAY easier. I guess at 85 when i can pick up rets run speed talent it will be ok
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
What I wrote in my PVP Guide:
Overall Prot still seems viable for BGs.

To sum up, here's my take after testing in BGs and duels the past several days:
- our burst has been toned down a bit, but we can still pack a punch
- our sustained DPS is down noticeably, due to the cumulative effect of multiple nerfs (e.g. to CS and please read my notes above before claiming it's been buffed, to SoT, etc)
- survivability has gone down, primarily to the nerf to PotI

Keep in mind that the comments above are based on the relative performance of 4.0.3a against what we had in 4.0.1. Other classes (e.g. Warriors, Locks) also saw significant nerfs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]