DPS Meta Gem Change...Change it Back

100 Human Paladin
This hurts DPS classes until it's fixed, though. It does need to be fixed sooner rather than later.

DPS classes that don't want to experience a massive crit loss will have only one option until its' patched: spend massive amounts of gold re-geming our gear to hit and then reforging hit off of our existing gear to balance it out, only to spend even MORE gold on fixing it once the fix is put in.

...or we just deal with being nerfed...

Neither option is good considering the absolutely silly, silly, silly, silly, silliness of this change. It's kind of perplexing that this made it through the testing phase.
80 Night Elf Druid
More blue gems than red gems? Ya...no. Change it back.

The current design has been reconsidered, so we're planning to revert gems that now require more blue than red gems back to their original requirements. Such a change can't be accomplished via a hotfix though, so we'll have to wait to revert these in a future patch.

I can understand their thinking in trying to get people away from stat stacking but the "more blue gems than red gems" was the worst possible thing they have come up with since well uh....tenacity.

I am glad to see somebody at Blizzard is walking around cracking the whip, just a shame it wasn't done BEFORE this was released.
85 Worgen Warlock
I'm strongly suspecting that this patch won't be coming before Cataclysm =/
85 Night Elf Rogue
I am very very very very glad that this is going to be reverted back. As crit isn't the most useful stat for rogues any longer, I was getting frustrated after realizing I was being pigeonholed into changing my meta to crit. I guess I'll just let it sit inactive for now, seeing as my rogue isn't getting the most playtime anyway.
85 Orc Warrior
I almost never post here or on the old forums. I plan to change that and take a bit more direct involvement in the community. To Blizzard: Do you even test your own design changes thoroughly when you make them? The changing of meta gems reflects little to no reflection on actual game play. Point to a class that uses the Chaotic Skyflare Diamond that would gem heavily in blue over red. There is none. Not even split gemming would account for a split that equates to what you are looking for in your new requirements. So why was this change made? Who made it? How long was it tested? Why was it put forth? I'm noticing a lot of changes put forth on the ptr that seem lack a full thought process or even a lack of understanding in the game (from a gamers perspective). It is my fault I don't speak up as much, but this smacks of incompetence. I hope in the future, changes like this are documented further, and tested, to see their acceptance and effectiveness. I know not all mechanic changes will be popular, but this one seemingly has no sense behind it.
90 Human Paladin

The current design has been reconsidered, so we're planning to revert gems that now require more blue than red gems back to their original requirements. Such a change can't be accomplished via a hotfix though, so we'll have to wait to revert these in a future patch.

By future patch, you mean not anytime soon. Blizzard used to fix things, which is what I liked about it and I know with cata on the edge it may be hard to tweak small things but this affects gameplay ALOT. It makes no real sense to have more blue than red gems unless you plan to change to strength/etc to blue along with hit.

We stated over and over again on the beta how horrible this change would be and that it would incite this sort of reaction if implemented. I thought that was what the beta was for, not just testing how things work but to see how a small part of the playerbase reacts to things like this.
85 Human Paladin
Thank god for the blue post. About to have an aneurysm when I logged on and saw that.
85 Draenei Death Knight
Thank you very much for reconsidering, I was already hit capped to begin with and that was with reforging hit away so the gem change would have been a nightmare..
And I thought I got screwed on engineering...
Edited by Pylgrimz on 11/23/2010 9:57 PM PST
85 Tauren Druid
BUR
Eh, it wasn't too bad. Reforge hit off your gear and use purple gems to fulfil the meta requirement. (I know I haven't changed any gems around on my character).

I do however hope that you consider a way to make people want to do something other than stack reds.

It's pretty ridiculous.

I have a dumb idea... make it so socket bonuses will actually grant more stats than if you just gemmed all off color, and then reduce the desired base stat (str/int/agi) on the main piece of gear to compensate. That way the gear is as powerful as intended but only if the sockets are properly gemmed, and people are not gemming all one stat.
90 Undead Warrior
Correct me if i am wrong. But i see nothing in the patch notes about Meta revising.
Is this something you tried to sneak past us? And to say We have to wait for a Patch and not a hotfix. Your kidding right?.. Hopefully you ship cata with the change. Or will we have new Metas with ridiculous requirements in the xpac. If not and your asking us to wait for a patch that maybe mnths away you had better be prepared for alot of flaming on these boards.
Like to meet the brainiac behind this one.
85 Worgen Warlock
Correct me if i am wrong. But i see nothing in the patch notes about Meta revising.
Is this something you tried to sneak past us? And to say We have to wait for a Patch and not a hotfix. Your kidding right?.. Hopefully you ship cata with the change. Or will we have new Metas with ridiculous requirements in the xpac. If not and your asking us to wait for a patch that maybe mnths away you had better be prepared for alot of flaming on these boards.
Like to meet the brainiac behind this one.
Patch notes are never complete and you should be used to this by now.

4.0.3a is Cataclysm.
100 Human Paladin
Eh, it wasn't too bad. Reforge hit off your gear and use purple gems to fulfil the meta requirement. (I know I haven't changed any gems around on my character).

Once people realize that this is a path that people want to take, the price of purple gems is going to skyrocket if it hasn't already...

...you're talking about dumping a ton of gold into something that, for all we know, will be fixed next week... or perhaps as far away as sometime next year.

We just don't know... and so it's a gamble... perhaps a rather expensive one for some.
83 Blood Elf Mage
Wish I'd seen this before changing my gems. >.<

Makes me wonder what else got stealth-changed.
85 Gnome Warlock
Thank you, Blizzard.

From what I understand, the idea behind it was making gems have more choices involved instead of gemming your main stat, but I feel that it had the opposite effect. I regemmed all my yellows to Green gems, all my blues to Purple gems, and my reds were still reds. This was the only way I could still use red gems at all, and I found out that I wanted to regem one of the hit hybrids to pure hit so I could reforge something for perfect hit, but that would then leave me one short of my red gem "cap" which I could attain. In order to get back to that cap, I would lose the hit from another gem, which just counteracted the first regem.

The idea is good though, I believe you could achieve more gear customization by balancing stats more closely than anything involving gems. From a DPS standpoint, customization is basically impossible - there's always going to be a best way to do things, and I actually think having stats so closely balanced would only make gearing feel less rewarding to those who do the research. In the end, I think the coolest thing about gems is the time you randomly regem all Haste or something just to see those cool Haste numbers, even if it's a DPS loss.
85 Draenei Shaman
Wish I'd seen this before changing my gems. >.<

Makes me wonder what else got stealth-changed.

this isn't a stealth change, been like this on beta for a long time
83 Blood Elf Mage
this isn't a stealth change, been like this on beta for a long time

That's wonderful for beta testers, but there's been little mention of this on community sites, forums, etc, and no official word in patch notes or blue posts pre-4.0.3a. Pretty stealthy to me.
Edited by Dree on 11/23/2010 10:26 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]