DPS Meta Gem Change...Change it Back

85 Draenei Shaman
this isn't a stealth change, been like this on beta for a long time

That's wonderful for beta testers, but there's been little mention of this on community sites, forums, etc, and no official word in patch notes or blue posts pre-4.0.3a. Pretty stealthy to me.

if the patch notes listed EVERY change every time there was any change to anything, the patch notes would read like war and peace. the data was out there and available, on the prof forums, the beta forums and in the data bases of places like wowhead. Just because someone didn't call you at your house doesn't mean they were trying to hide it from you to spite you.
85 Goblin Rogue

That's wonderful for beta testers, but there's been little mention of this on community sites, forums, etc, and no official word in patch notes or blue posts pre-4.0.3a. Pretty stealthy to me.

if the patch notes listed EVERY change every time there was any change to anything, the patch notes would read like war and peace. the data was out there and available, on the prof forums, the beta forums and in the data bases of places like wowhead. Just because someone didn't call you at your house doesn't mean they were trying to hide it from you to spite you.

Actually it is a stealth change. Gem changes were announced before the actual patch release, if this was an upcoming change for Cataclysm then it should've been changed or announced with the rest of the Jewelcrafing changes.

You have no clue as to what a stealth change is.
85 Tauren Druid

Hit requirements at 85 are greatly increased. You may very well need extra. If you do not...

Hit caps at 80 have not changed, and this is a level 80 meta gem, oh and the level cap is still 80, not 85. When we get to 85 and get new gear and new meta gems available, then level 85 ratings and caps will be relevant, until then...
85 Goblin Warlock
I was disappointed with the change but still accepted it, meaning I re-gemmed and wasted a great amount of gold.

Will Blizzard compensate for the players who already made changes to their gear?
80 Draenei Paladin
PLEASE patch this soon.
85 Human Paladin
Just a suggestion if blizz wants us to use a variety of gems just make the socket bonuses worth it. and like a previous poster said you cant reforge ti base stats other then spirit so gemming is only way to boost these. glad to see it changed back more red then blue or mechanics like this are annoying to figure out.
85 Blood Elf Warrior
i just noticed my rogues meta was broken.
jewel crafters are allergic to money on my server so it'd take hours to get enough blue gems in my rogues armor.
seeing as how they're almost all red or orange.
Exept for a nightmare tear.
56 Undead Death Knight
More blue gems than red gems? Ya...no. Change it back.

The current design has been reconsidered, so we're planning to revert gems that now require more blue than red gems back to their original requirements. Such a change can't be accomplished via a hotfix though, so we'll have to wait to revert these in a future patch.

I can understand their thinking in trying to get people away from stat stacking but the "more blue gems than red gems" was the worst possible thing they have come up with since well uh....tenacity.

I am glad to see somebody at Blizzard is walking around cracking the whip, just a shame it wasn't done BEFORE this was released.
How does this have anything to do with stat stacking? You stack hit until you're at hit cap. And Intellect is what we stack gem wise. I just really don't see how blizzard thinks sometimes. They gives us a wretched 4 piece tier bonus that makes no sense whatsoever, and they change meta gem requirements just for the fun of it. Yes, we need alot more hit at 85, but we have alot more hit on the gear. Plus reforging, gemming, there shouldn't be any problems.
85 Tauren Druid

The current design has been reconsidered, so we're planning to revert gems that now require more blue than red gems back to their original requirements. Such a change can't be accomplished via a hotfix though, so we'll have to wait to revert these in a future patch.

I do however hope that you consider a way to make people want to do something other than stack reds.

It's pretty ridiculous.

I have a dumb idea... make it so socket bonuses will actually grant more stats than if you just gemmed all off color, and then reduce the desired base stat (str/int/agi) on the main piece of gear to compensate. That way the gear is as powerful as intended but only if the sockets are properly gemmed, and people are not gemming all one stat.

Nah, that makes way too much sense for Blizzard. I did actually hear a rumour that they were planning to make socket bonuses more powerful in Cataclysm, but I'll believe that only if I see it.
85 Tauren Druid
I almost never post here or on the old forums. I plan to change that and take a bit more direct involvement in the community. To Blizzard: Do you even test your own design changes thoroughly when you make them? The changing of meta gems reflects little to no reflection on actual game play. Point to a class that uses the Chaotic Skyflare Diamond that would gem heavily in blue over red. There is none. Not even split gemming would account for a split that equates to what you are looking for in your new requirements. So why was this change made? Who made it? How long was it tested? Why was it put forth? I'm noticing a lot of changes put forth on the ptr that seem lack a full thought process or even a lack of understanding in the game (from a gamers perspective). It is my fault I don't speak up as much, but this smacks of incompetence. I hope in the future, changes like this are documented further, and tested, to see their acceptance and effectiveness. I know not all mechanic changes will be popular, but this one seemingly has no sense behind it.

They use a dartboard? One with nerf fear taking up 45% of the pie.

I'd bet money they don't even bother thinking a lot of their changes through all the way. Some of them are solid and make sense. I can't think of any at the moment because some of the blunders and bugs that have existed for months are still forefront in my mind.
83 Blood Elf Mage

I don't need to know "EVERY" change in the patch notes... I don't care if a quest gets changed, or an NPC gets renamed... but when a change comes along that will require players to make massive changes to their gear, whether spending a substantial of honor, JPs, or gold, it'd be nice if Blizzard (not the players) were to mention it somewhere beforehand.
90 Worgen Mage

I have a dumb idea... make it so socket bonuses will actually grant more stats than if you just gemmed all off color, and then reduce the desired base stat (str/int/agi) on the main piece of gear to compensate. That way the gear is as powerful as intended but only if the sockets are properly gemmed, and people are not gemming all one stat.

This. Or, more generally: make socket bonuses worth getting.
85 Worgen Death Knight
DEAD, this horse is dead. They said they are going to change it back and give us wonderful attractive Metas for our Cataclysmic Joy. If I was a developer I would leave it as is due to this thread quoting itself over and over into page 5.
100 Human Warlock

Yeah, this was really a bad idea from day one. Thanks for the fix.

well.. great, i just fixed my gems and changed my meta to something else. thanks, any chance for a refund of all the gems i just replaced.. it was a total of about 10 per toon, 2 dps class casters.

didn't think so.

thanks, that was like 1500g waste so far.
90 Undead Priest
Question: Why change it at all in the first place? Its like saying oh look we use a keyboard for the computer to type in Microsoft Word but lets make it better and how about if we replace it with a dishcloth?

Well I'm guessing the reason they changed it in the first place was to make it more of a decision thing, if you know what I mean. You would have to choose which pieces of gear you might skip on bonuses in order to put all of your "best" gems in and which pieces to put a blue gem in and get a bonus.

I'm just trying to think how they might have been thinking. They usually don't like when gear choices are too straight forward and when they look exactly how we want them to. They like when there's stats we don't want on gear so it doesn't look tailored for JUST <insert class>.

I don't think I explained what I think they were trying to do well, but hopefully it made some sense.
85 Night Elf Mage

Actually it is a stealth change. Gem changes were announced before the actual patch release, if this was an upcoming change for Cataclysm then it should've been changed or announced with the rest of the Jewelcrafing changes.

You have no clue as to what a stealth change is.

Does it matter? Call it what you want, it doesn't change the fact that you've known about it and the information has been readily available for months.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]