DPS Meta Gem Change...Change it Back

85 Human Paladin
More blue gems than red gems? Ya...no. Change it back.

The current design has been reconsidered, so we're planning to revert gems that now require more blue than red gems back to their original requirements. Such a change can't be accomplished via a hotfix though, so we'll have to wait to revert these in a future patch.

That "patch" had better be Cataclysm at the latest.

I don't mind if your trying to make other gems competitive or what not but this was an absolutely terrible change and you should have seen this coming. Especially considering you had at least a months warning from everyone of us in beta telling you its bad.
Edited by Bubbleboe on 11/23/2010 11:29 PM PST
83 Blood Elf Mage
Either way, I'm just glad it's being fixed.
81 Tauren Warrior
I will be honest. I am disappointed. I find the more X than Y gems to be interesting, especially when they go against what you'd otherwise do. All most dps and healers do is socket red gems, and all most tanks do is socket blue gems. Gems against that force interesting choices.

That being said, I understand why you did it. Making it easier to "eyeball" gear and not needing stat calculators to and whatnot.

Still...

*sadface*
85 Worgen Druid
I'm glad the change is being reverted, but really, it's too bad that you didn't think of making it easier on us before The Shattering went live. I socketed ten green gems only to learn an hour later that you've decided against the change.
80 Blood Elf Priest
"A future patch" needs to be soon... Like tomorrow....
32 Dwarf Priest

The current design has been reconsidered, so we're planning to revert gems that now require more blue than red gems back to their original requirements. Such a change can't be accomplished via a hotfix though, so we'll have to wait to revert these in a future patch.

Is this patch going to happen before or after cataclysm? I would REALLY like to know this to see if I need to change half my gems, as i'm not going into cataclysm leveling without maximum effectiveness.
Edited by Reiatsu on 11/24/2010 12:18 AM PST
85 Worgen Rogue
If they don't change it before Cata or at least in the first week or so before raiding starts again, dps is going to have no metas basically.
85 Goblin Rogue
this isn't a stealth change, been like this on beta for a long time

That's wonderful for beta testers, but there's been little mention of this on community sites, forums, etc, and no official word in patch notes or blue posts pre-4.0.3a. Pretty stealthy to me.

if the patch notes listed EVERY change every time there was any change to anything, the patch notes would read like war and peace. the data was out there and available, on the prof forums, the beta forums and in the data bases of places like wowhead. Just because someone didn't call you at your house doesn't mean they were trying to hide it from you to spite you.

Actually it is a stealth change. Gem changes were announced before the actual patch release, if this was an upcoming change for Cataclysm then it should've been changed or announced with the rest of the Jewelcrafing changes.

You have no clue as to what a stealth change is.

Does it matter? Call it what you want, it doesn't change the fact that you've known about it and the information has been readily available for months.

Provide said information that stated this change at LEAST a month ago. I implore you. Stop contradicting yourself, if it's been available for months I can't call it anything. As well, not everybody plays the Beta, if you use this as an excuse you're...mentally challenged (for lack of better wording).
85 Goblin Mage

Please change this soon. I have 19 red gems (including mixed) on my PvE set. It would be quite ridiculous for me to ask my entire guild to re-gem.
85 Tauren Shaman

Thank you for the reply and thank you to the dev team for realizing the mistake and opting to revert it. I'll take proper stats over the 500g I wasted regemming any day.
87 Human Warrior

Holy crap. A blue post where Blizzard actually admits they made an obvious flub, states that they're going to fix it, AND gives a rough timeframe of when the fix will come.

Why can't all blue posts be like this?
85 Human Paladin
Exactly, I use ALL red gems, no way I am going to have 51/49 going blue!
85 Gnome Rogue
DID SOMEONE SAY GAMEBREAKING?

*sips tea*
Edited by Shýguý on 11/24/2010 2:02 AM PST
85 Goblin Shaman
Pie
Goodness, people get demanding when they think they've been wronged. I'm glad they're fixing this, but I have to say I was actually kind of interested in the different ways I would be gemming in Cataclysm. I foresaw a lot more mastery in my future as I gemmed int/hit for red and blue sockets and reforged a lot of hit into a lot of mastery. As an ele shaman I love my mastery!

I know that some people are still raiding in ICC and elsewhere, but why be so grumpy and *demand* that this patch happen asap else you'll whine some more (because really, what else can you do)? I guarantee you that if you couldn't kill LK last week with your 3% crit bonus, the loss of that meta won't account for you failing again this week. While that bonus is great and totally necessary for min/maxing squeezing out every last little drop of dps isn't required anymore. If you are going to argue that you just can't do it without that meta, then I'll argue that you're just doing it wrong. At this stage in the expansion there's no reason to blame failure on gear/gems.

To those of you who regemmed this afternoon, thank you. I made a killing from majestic zircons and dreadstones today! I'll be posting a ton of cardinal rubies in about 24 hours for your use as well. :)
85 Troll Shaman
So much qq here. Oh noes they changed the color of some of your gems. Slap a nightmare tear and an enchanted tear in there plus one of the "bad" gems in there and boom meta is on. Same stats different color. 20 spirit from a blue gem is no different than 20 spirit from a red gem or anything of that nature. 99% of the time the socket bonus isn't even worth it. Do some research on your class. Them changing the color of certain gems isn't game breaking nor does it come anywhere close. You forget that nightmare tears and enchanted tears count as ANY color gem I hope. As for gemming for hit and stuff like that you shouldn't need to gem for hit in the first place. Our lvl 85 gear will have the stats we need. Let hit and everything else come from your gear like it always has. As for dps increasing stats, stack them and enchant them. It's not going to kill you to have to use a nightmare tear, enchanted tear and one "bad" gem to get your meta turned on. I would love to see more variety of meta gems but what we have now isn't going to kill anyone. Also if you have to regem your entire gear set to get your meta online which only requires 3 gems then you obviously screwed up. The color of the gem makes no difference as long as it gives you stats. 20 haste is 20 haste no matter the color.
90 Night Elf Druid
So wait all the talk in beta forums about this with no responses and only now that it gets released live the devs feel it is an issue, all that could have been avoided =(
85 Human Death Knight
I will be honest. I am disappointed. I find the more X than Y gems to be interesting, especially when they go against what you'd otherwise do. All most dps and healers do is socket red gems, and all most tanks do is socket blue gems. Gems against that force interesting choices.

That being said, I understand why you did it. Making it easier to "eyeball" gear and not needing stat calculators to and whatnot.

Still...

*sadface*

When all the choices are awful it is not an interesting, much less fun, experience.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]