DPS Meta Gem Change...Change it Back

80 Human Mage
i liked how it was more interesting than "hurp gem for red" and having to think about reforging was nice. but oh well. guess its just me.

Except that meeting the new gem requirements for Chaotic/Relentless was a net DPS loss for almost every class.

Keep in mind that using purple xx/hit gems count as both blue and red so you have to change those AND change a bunch of your orange gems into green. The amount of int/str/agi lost to meet that was retarded.
90 Night Elf Rogue
This was a huge issue that was CONSTANTLY complained about on the beta and just now they figure out how stupid of an idea it was? That's fantastic.
87 Goblin Warlock
I'm glad they are reverting this change. It made little sense when you look at the effort put in to making the other gem colors more attractive (i.e. hit rating gems changing to blue/green and purple) so that people would gem to match sockets and then you look at the typical sockets on gear which favors gemming red/purple/orange. About the only class/spec I could see at 85 gemming 'more blue than red' would be Enhancement shamans due to their needing about 700 more hit rating than comes from gear to spell hit cap.

I think the change was intended to make people look at other gems rather than just Chaotic and Relentless which is good in concept if there were viable alternatives. Bracing gems are okay for high threat casters (like boomkins), but physical DPS classes only real alternative would be the ones with movement speed, which most melee classes have a talent for now and hunters don't really need.

It's always good to see that common sense prevails in the end.
85 Draenei Shaman
Bah,

I already changed my Meta out to the 21 int/ runspeed option and re-enchanted my boots, I noticed this change right off last night and went WTF?

But I am betting Cata will already be out and I'll have replaced my t10 set by the time this gets fixed back anyhow.
85 Draenei Priest
So last night I burned about 1000g regemming and reforging. Players realized this change was horrible instantly, but the devs didn't seem to catch it. I could understand changing the requirement to get people to diversify gemming a little bit, but more blue than red basically means no red and one green if you are DPS that use purple gems.

85 Draenei Priest
Although I'm curious how you guys came to the conclusion that "make them gem like tanks if they want to use the DPS gem!" was a good idea.

It's because they are trying to make decisions for gearing DPS easier, right?... Imagine you just stepped into the game and have to figure out what is more damage, higher crit damage or red gems...
85 Troll Druid
I'm glad they saw the error to their ways (finally) but saying the change has to wait till a future patch is unacceptable, meaning sometime after Cata. This should be a hotfix. This issue should be able to be reverted back by a simple rollback for this piece of programming and I can't think of any new progamming dependencies or triggers that would hinder this. I'm sure this piece was part of a larger software package but a rollback for this part should be possible without much time investment.
85 Draenei Paladin
I actually liked the more blue than yellow requirement. It made you think a little bit about how you were going to meet socket bonuses with yellow / blue sockets and whether or not they were worth it. Changing it to more blue than red simply takes all that thought off the table and replaces it with "find a new meta."

Definitely not an interesting or engaging change. I'm surprised that it even went through in the first place.
85 Goblin Warlock

I agree. It makes NO sense to require more blue gems than red on a dps class. The main gem color for melee and spellcasters is red. Why would you want us to waste gems getting spirit or some other useless stat when red is the most valuable?

Hit is generally more valuable than any other stat up until the cap, and it is a blue gem now. I'm sorry you actually have to think about gemming now. It must be very hard for you.

Looks like a whole lot of stupid in this post now, doesn't it?
Edited by Lilíth on 11/24/2010 9:19 AM PST
90 Human Rogue
More blue gems than red gems? Ya...no. Change it back.

The current design has been reconsidered, so we're planning to revert gems that now require more blue than red gems back to their original requirements. Such a change can't be accomplished via a hotfix though, so we'll have to wait to revert these in a future patch.

Not trying to start a flame war -- but why did this even go LIVE?

It was posted all over PTR that it was a bad idea to have those metas require more blue than red and that no DPS class would use the meta with that requirement. It goes live for less than 12 hours and is already going to be reverted.

Did this really need to go LIVE?

Everyone in my guild had to change their meta. Now we're going to have to change back. It's not a huge issue. But I do find it a little insulting that this result could have been easily avoided by Blizzard.
90 Human Paladin
So much qq here. Oh noes they changed the color of some of your gems. Slap a nightmare tear and an enchanted tear in there plus one of the "bad" gems in there and boom meta is on. Same stats different color. 20 spirit from a blue gem is no different than 20 spirit from a red gem or anything of that nature. 99% of the time the socket bonus isn't even worth it. Do some research on your class. Them changing the color of certain gems isn't game breaking nor does it come anywhere close. You forget that nightmare tears and enchanted tears count as ANY color gem I hope. As for gemming for hit and stuff like that you shouldn't need to gem for hit in the first place. Our lvl 85 gear will have the stats we need. Let hit and everything else come from your gear like it always has. As for dps increasing stats, stack them and enchant them. It's not going to kill you to have to use a nightmare tear, enchanted tear and one "bad" gem to get your meta turned on. I would love to see more variety of meta gems but what we have now isn't going to kill anyone. Also if you have to regem your entire gear set to get your meta online which only requires 3 gems then you obviously screwed up. The color of the gem makes no difference as long as it gives you stats. 20 haste is 20 haste no matter the color.

You don't seem to understand that the different gem colors have different stats. You can't get 20 haste from different color gems.

I've never been much of a believer in stacking gems and avoiding the socket bonus, but the problem here is that we're not talking about 1 or 2 gems for many of us. Many of us are talking about replacing more than that as well as reforging our gear to supplement for the imbalance the forced regeming will cost...

That's a lot of gold... and not knowing when it will revert makes that expenditure not an investment, but rather a silly tax because this change should not have gone live.

We really need to know when this change will be reverted so that we can plan towards whether it makes sense to regem or not.
85 Draenei Paladin

Ok, so hopefully we need a minor patch to fix something tomorrow and you guys can throw this fix in.

Future patch as in after next scheduled patch (post cata)
Edited by Astaldos on 11/24/2010 9:19 AM PST
85 Night Elf Druid
Something that most people will just suck up since they are going to switch to the new ones in a few weeks anyways.

The new gems have a really high ilvl requirement btw.

You will not be switching to even green gems on Cataclysm release. They have 285 requirements minimally.

Hmm - I wondered if they would do this. I always thought it was a bit OP that a level 60 toon could go get the 25 stam ring from Hellfire Peninsula, then pop a +20 red gem into it. For that matter, since JC was introduced in BC, outland blues have a lot of gem slots - stuffing them with WoLTK epic gems gives crazy stats for a sub-level 70 toon. Allowing Cata level gems in these slots would have been a bit crazy.
80 Human Paladin

The current design has been reconsidered, so we're planning to revert gems that now require more blue than red gems back to their original requirements. Such a change can't be accomplished via a hotfix though, so we'll have to wait to revert these in a future patch.

Score. Suck it Warlock troll that posted on the first page.
90 Gnome Mage

Great!

Now, you want to give me back the 600G it cost to replace the meta, and then replace it again after this patch? People were complaining about this on the beta. You guys KNEW it was a bad idea and went through with it, anyway. It's one thing to make a change that people disagree with when you have a good reason. ENTIRELY DIFFERENT to make a change like this on a whim, screw millions of casters, and then change it back.
85 Night Elf Druid
I'm glad they saw the error to their ways (finally) but saying the change has to wait till a future patch is unacceptable, meaning sometime after Cata. This should be a hotfix. This issue should be able to be reverted back by a simple rollback for this piece of programming and I can't think of any new progamming dependencies or triggers that would hinder this. I'm sure this piece was part of a larger software package but a rollback for this part should be possible without much time investment.

A rollback for blizz means reverting everything, including any changes to your characters, not really something they could justify unless some sort of catastrophic data loss/corruption occurred. Though the function of the gem is merely a spellid (you can even look it up on WoWHead) in the server database, it should be trivial to change the value right before the rolling restarts (provided they didn't modify the spell itself instead of making a new spell ID with the different functionality, in which case it'll be more complicated). Given that I'm actually surprised they can't hotfix it, blizz should only need to patch the client for tooltips.
85 Night Elf Druid
Hmm - I wondered if they would do this. I always thought it was a bit OP that a level 60 toon could go get the 25 stam ring from Hellfire Peninsula, then pop a +20 red gem into it. For that matter, since JC was introduced in BC, outland blues have a lot of gem slots - stuffing them with WoLTK epic gems gives crazy stats for a sub-level 70 toon. Allowing Cata level gems in these slots would have been a bit crazy.

I love abusing epic gems.
85 Human Rogue
I used http://www.wowhead.com/item=41400 in the meantime.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]