DPS Meta Gem Change...Change it Back

85 Gnome Mage
More blue gems than red gems? Ya...no. Change it back.

The current design has been reconsidered, so we're planning to revert gems that now require more blue than red gems back to their original requirements. Such a change can't be accomplished via a hotfix though, so we'll have to wait to revert these in a future patch.

So the question is does "future patch" mean sometime next fall for the next tier of content?
or just "soon".
85 Tauren Druid
Good job, Blizz on realizing the gem mistake. Now if you could fix the portal mistake...
Question: Why change it at all in the first place? Its like saying oh look we use a keyboard for the computer to type in Microsoft Word but lets make it better and how about if we replace it with a dishcloth?

Many times (in game design and in the real world) something looks good "on paper" but after implementing it and seeing it in real operation, it turns out to be not so good. So it gets changed back (if it can).

When the Soviet Union (back then) invaded Afghanistan in the 80's, we (the US) supported the Mujahadeen (the "freedom fighters") against the Soviets. The Soviets eventually were pushed out and the Mujahadeen became the new government. The Mujahadeen eventually morphed into the Taliban.

OOPS.

Cant' take that one back.
85 Undead Mage
I already had 8 blue and 6 red gems, and the meta still doesn't work for me.
80 Blood Elf Mage
I already had 8 blue and 6 red gems, and the meta still doesn't work for me.

Purple gems count as both 1 red and 1 blue (aka, don't change the balance at all). You currently have 14 reds, 8 blue, 6 yellows according to the game, thus not meeting the meta requirement.
85 Draenei Hunter
I'd just like to add herp derp, are you guys hiring? Because my newborn niece could come up with this stuff this poorly thought out. Thanks for having the balls to fix this.
90 Night Elf Priest
I was originally excited when I saw this change. Finally, deciding which meta gem to use is an interesting decision, as opposed to: "this is the one and only dps meta, activate it". However I think that this missed the mark, and with such a difficult requirement it will never be activated. An interesting decision requires each option to be equally tempting.

Lets talk about some more interesting meta gem requirements:
"Requires more blue gems than yellow gems"
"Requires more yellow gems than blue gems"
"Requires atleast twice as many red gems as yellow gems"

These are requirements that would be more interesting than 'activate and forget'. They will Impact how we value gem slots on gear, and how we gem them.
At the moment I just put int+hit gems in blue slots, int+haste gems in yellow slots, and then reforge to the hit cap, knowing that the extra hit earned me more secondary stats in the reforging. This means I really don't care about the difference between yellow and blue slots, its either red, or its not.
Now imagine how any of those meta requirements would affect gear and gem selection. For example with the first one, "Requires more blue gems than yellow gems", if my gear has as many yellow sockets as blue, I might consider socketing an int+hit gem in a red socket, or gemming pure int in a blue socket, just to activate my meta. Also, it would make me value blue sockets slightly higher in gear selection.
With the third example requirement, "Requires atleast twice as many red gems as yellow gems", I would need to think twice about stacking mastery/crit/haste, it would be a natural counter balance in the game to any secondary stat becoming to powerful and being valued higher than a primary stat.
These decisions are interesting decisions that engage people when making gear decisions, it rewards intelligent gearing and gemming. Blizzard, please don't dumb it back down, you had a good idea, it just needs a little tweaking. Give us a meta requirement that makes us think, about what meta we even want to use, and what gems to socket because of it.
85 Orc Shaman
Yeah, I've noticed that new meta ... as a DPS spec, it seems pretty tricky to meet those requirements while staying competitive. Actually, whomever came up with that requirement must be a masochist or something. Now if that was for a tanking meta, then meeting that requirement would be simple! Really, the only role that really stacks blue gems are tanks, or healers that are extremely deprived of Spirit. Hit rating is also a blue stat, but I don't know many people that gem for straight-up Hit rating-- maybe a combination gem of Hit and something else, but not Pure Hit.

The old requirements are good. Though, if you guys want to discourage players from putting full-red gems in nearly every single slot (or full-Stamina blue gems for tanks), how about have certain meta gems check if you meet X amount of socket bonuses enabled. I know in my current set, I satisfy the socket bonuses of every single piece of my gear (because I have an acute case of OCD), except my Shield (because I have too much Spirit in my gear!). It could help out to some degree.
Edited by Blankaman on 11/24/2010 4:19 PM PST
90 Tauren Shaman
I see your meta gem requirements and raise you http://www.wowhead.com/item=34220

If you can meet those requirements, I salute you.

This made me laugh so hard my family gave me odd looks.

BTW, its requirement is that you have more blue gems than blue gems...

At least I can put an Intellect gem in my slot (only one that does ANYTHING for me on the AH). Not quite completely worthless as it increases my SP and Spell crit...
Edited by Nachtstier on 11/24/2010 4:30 PM PST
85 Troll Druid
Will you people quit griping? the staff already told you they were going to revert it back, leave Blizzard alone, running an entire game and worrying about so many things is harder than you think. You people don't take into consideration that they cannot fill ALL of our wishes, so calm down for 5 minutes and let them catch their breath.
72 Human Warlock
More blue gems than red gems? Ya...no. Change it back.

The current design has been reconsidered, so we're planning to revert gems that now require more blue than red gems back to their original requirements. Such a change can't be accomplished via a hotfix though, so we'll have to wait to revert these in a future patch.

Yeah also I suggest Blizzard maybe set up some sort of.. like testing thing? Kinda like where a few players can get on and mess around and report any bugs or things like this that needs fixed!
We'll call them Beta's and PTR's!
86 Human Warrior
Keep up the good work Bliz!
90 Dwarf Hunter
Will you people quit griping? the staff already told you they were going to revert it back, leave Blizzard alone, running an entire game and worrying about so many things is harder than you think. You people don't take into consideration that they cannot fill ALL of our wishes, so calm down for 5 minutes and let them catch their breath.

No. This was a bad change that should have never happened in the first place. Personally I'm getting tired of the apparent lack of thought in game changing decisions. Blizzard has the right to make the final decision and invite me to take my monthly subscription fee someplace else, but I have the right to tell them that there is a profound lack of quality control and they need to fix things.
85 Human Warrior
OTL
Don't even understand why you guys even thought about changing the meta gems to what they are changed to...
90 Night Elf Rogue
I am glad to read you are converting it back for DPS classes. The sooner the better.

I do have a question though since you may leave this type of requirement on other classes. I hope you were not requiring solid blue or solid red gems. In the case of needing more blue than red, what does a purple gem in a red socket count as? Is it red or blue?
90 Gnome Mage
Don't even understand why you guys even thought about changing the meta gems to what they are changed to...

I know, it pretty much insures that metas won't be used untill lvl85, since no one is going to re-gem every piece of gear to meet the new requirements.
Edited by Jacara on 11/24/2010 9:32 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]